Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 09:50 AM

68 posts, read 195,127 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to NC (Charlotte) from NJ so that I can actually afford to stay home with my baby...something nearly impossible to do in NJ, esp. Essex County with its outrageous property taxes.

Anyway, when my son starts school, I would like to go work as a teacher. However, I am currently not a teacher...I am a lawyer but would love to teach history or government in HS. I have taught at law schools as an adjunct and have loved it. I have heard that teachers are in great demand in NC. Do they have any programs for non teachers to transition into teaching jobs...an "alternate route" program? NY and NJ have such programs and I am wondering if it possible for me to become a teacher in NC without having to go back to school again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 06:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,173,373 times
I'm not sure, but I think requirements may vary by county. I think in some counties you may have more leeway than others in terms teaching and then a certain time frame to get your degree. You may want to check the websites for individual counties. Let me know if you need the websites
Best of luck to you

Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 PM

49 posts, read 228,957 times
http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/employment/

this site has links to all the county and city school systems

Old 12-05-2006, 10:30 AM

40 posts, read 182,005 times
I am a teacher who is also moving to the Charlotte area. I'm not sure if I can give you specifics about NC certification/licensure, but I can tell that with "No Child Left Behind" every teacher is required to having a teaching license. There are schools that offer alternate routes to certification. Try looking at UNC-Charlotte. Also look at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg public schools website. They should have info on how to get certified in North Carolina. Make sure you have your transcripts when you plan to apply for a teaching job. I must warn you that teacher salaries are very low compared to a lawyer, and a teacher's salary is based on years of experience and education. If you have never taught before you would start on Step 1 (probably a Master's degree scale if you have your J.D.) and that salary might be under $40,000 in Charlotte. Hope that was alittle helpful.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:19 AM

653 posts, read 2,988,894 times
www.teach4nc.org explains licensure in the state of NC.

I came in with a Florida teaching certificate, so there was reciprocity and I didn't have to jump through as many hoops. However, when I got my license in Florida, I used lateral entry. Basically, they saw my BS in Mathematics, handed me a set of keys, a roll book, and a schedule for night classes. It was teach now, get certified later. That was Florida...

Here is the path to lateral certification in NC:
http://teach4nc.org/certification/ (broken link)

Having not gone through it myself in NC, I'm not sure how it compares to Florida. I do know that the actual degree you hold will matter - if it is a "certifiable" degree (such as math or history) then it will be easier than if your degree is something else, such as psychology or accounting.
Talk to people in HR in the county where you're interested in teaching - my experience here in Wake county was that they bent over backwards to help me get my nc license quickly to put me right in a classroom.
Good luck, and enjoy being a stay at home mom!!

Old 12-05-2006, 03:14 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,351,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
I am considering relocating to NC (Charlotte) from NJ so that I can actually afford to stay home with my baby...something nearly impossible to do in NJ, esp. Essex County with its outrageous property taxes.

Anyway, when my son starts school, I would like to go work as a teacher. However, I am currently not a teacher...I am a lawyer but would love to teach history or government in HS. I have taught at law schools as an adjunct and have loved it. I have heard that teachers are in great demand in NC. Do they have any programs for non teachers to transition into teaching jobs...an "alternate route" program? NY and NJ have such programs and I am wondering if it possible for me to become a teacher in NC without having to go back to school again.
Central Piedmont Community College has a paralegal course, as does UNC-Charlotte in their community outreach. That might give you a taste of teaching without anymore committment than 4-5 hours a few evenings /week. Then you could do lateral entry, which UNCC and Appalachain State offers. Go to the NC state website and click on education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina