Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,298 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking to move from Pittsburgh PA to NC. I need as much info as possible because i only have the funds to visit once before our move. My bf and i have always wanted to move to NC, he had stayed there with family when he was younger and loved it there.
So my main concern is finding a nice area with the least amount of hard drugs. I'll be completely honest and i don't need any discrimination. We are a young couple, I'm not talking about marijuana but more so really needing to avoid any of the hard drugs (he got mixed up with a bad crowd in his teen years but has since changed his life around.) But the area here is getting terribly infested with drugs and we do not want to be near this scumhole any longer.

We don't have a huge income, he'll be transferring his job but I'll need to look from scratch. I have a culinary degree but do not see the restaurant jobs down there with very high wages. I currently have a job working with special needs people and would like to stay in the same field possibly to do in home care.

Also we have 3 large dogs so we're looking into renting a house, we're ok with paying pet deposits obviously and MUST have a fenced yard. We would like a quiet neighborhood within an hr drive of a beach and within driving distances of shopping, etc. but mainly would like to look off my porch and see grass, trees, some neighboring houses, in other words, not in a downtown setting, more rural/country.
Our price range is around 600-900 although 800 is kinda our max but willing to stretch for the dogs and the pet deposits.

So far im gathering good things about hampstead and some areas near wilmington, but not directly in wilmington? We have friends in Fayetteville, but have read about a good bit of drugs in the area, but again, not sure if they're referring about herbal drugs or harder life threatening, gang related drugs (coke, pills, opiates, heroin)

Again I'm being very honest here so no hateful responses please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM

910 posts, read 1,320,905 times
You might want to stay away from the coast since that's where the good quality drugs are. Any of the rural areas will be meth city, though there's lots of coke up and down 95 as well. Tons of "secret gardens" up in the mountains too, along with meth labs left and right. The lamer suburbs of Charlotte out toward Matthews and the like would probably be your best bet, but anyone sufficiently motivated can find a connect there as well I imagine.

If it's not too much to ask, are you looking to avoid drugs because of a past drug problem? Or is it you just don't want to be around drug-dealing areas? If it's the latter, then just about any place will be fine, but know that meth labs are all over the place these days, and just about any cheap motel or rental can potentially have a shake & bake cook going on inside. Though honestly prescription abuse is the largest drug epidemic, especially in suburban and rural areas. GPs out in the sticks don't make a lot of money, especially if the bulk of their patients are on Medicaid; it's very tempting to go the pill mill route to make up for it.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,409,656 times
No offense but there is really no one area excluding the affluent areas where there is no drugs. On the same token any low income area which every area has is gonna be pretty active in drugs.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM

910 posts, read 1,320,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
No offense but there is really no one area excluding the affluent areas where there is no drugs. On the same token any low income area which every area has is gonna be pretty active in drugs.
On the contrary the affluent areas have just as much of a drug problem; they just happen to be legal. Doctors offices aren't exactly gang turf, but from a public health and epidemiology perspective they can be just as bad. Also police tend to look the other way a little in the nicer parts of town. Don't wanna wind up busting a DA's or county commissioner's kid and have to deal with that mess later on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,984,264 times
If you want to avoid drugs, avoid living near desperate people who are jobless and unhappy. Use the census maps and look for areas with high incidences of domestic violence and poverty. Any population center of moderate size will have a "bad side of town" - where absentee landlords predominate, that ask no questions how the rent is paid. That's where you don't move to!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM

My bf is who had the drug problem. And he wouldn't go there 'seeking' anything but just meeting nee friends and people our age and people offering drugs is a temptation that we want to avoid all together. And meth isn't a concern, it's the coke, prescription pills (opiates), and potentially heroin. Plus we just don't want to be in those areas. I know drugs are everywhere, but, there are definitely places better than others, and without being able to visit each place personally, i need help getting pointed in the right direction.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Just move where you can find work.

Pick the apartment complex you explore, that has the highest rents. People who do drugs, are too bad at managing money to consistently pay for a nice place for very long. Eventually their habit does them in and they crash.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 01-20-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,581,010 times
If they really want to,
Anybody
can get
Any Drug
Anywhere.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM

I do not want an apartment complex, i have 3 pitbulls, i need a location to get a house in. And i know if they want to they can, but he wants to move out of the area and meet new people and areas high with drugs with have a lot of dealers our age and i don't want to meet those people. You don't have to go looking for drugs, if you're in a bad area working with the public and going out to social events, the drugs find you.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM

When you said "large dogs" I didn't realize they were pitbulls. That will make things very difficult because it's common for landlord's rental insurance policies to disallow them. Property owners are likely to not return your calls if they know you have even ONE pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina