Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,326 times

Advertisements

I know this, although it can be done if i don't go through rental companies and/our patty large pretty deposits. That aside. I still need a general location in order to even begin looking since i do have the bred against us. We even looked into a couple rent to own places, but i want to really be sure on the location first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 AM

13,390 posts, read 27,219,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull mommy View Post
That aside. I still need a general location in order to even begin looking since i do have the bred against us.
I'd suggest looking in very rural locations, but I believe most landlords want to avoid the liability issues that come with pit bulls. You might place a housing wanted ad on Craiglist. If you want to stay in eastern NC, you might check Jacksonville. We do have occasional drug busts in the county. The population of Jacksonville is half Marines, and they have to stay away from drugs. The Craigslist housing section for Jacksonville has a Century 21 broker who advertising helping families with pets. A budget of $800 will probably get you a mobile home in the country.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 16,270 times
Wilmington is a good area.. and surround.. Fayetteville is good for your housing price range but not for your degree. Minimum wage is pretty much it here. You get lucky every now and again since we get quite a bit of new restaurants, which is also the downside. You may be outta work in a year! The home care service is always hiring here tho.. lack of quality workers, since no one here knows how to HIRE people, instead of asking people that work there already if anybody wants to work that they know of. My mother did this work for 7 years until she moved and I've only known 1 person to stay and do their job right for a span of 8 months top. Be careful of pay too, They didn't give her ONE raise after 7 years. I know Wilmington is a good place also for that field, so consider some of the surrounding areas. Best thing would be too find which areas is hiring, and have your price range for homes.. List the top 10 you like and we could help you from there!?

Fayetteville IS NOT A BAD DRUG PLACE! Been here 20+ Years and my grandad did A LOT of police work.. Drugs was not one of his memories. We have more deranged soldiers than drugs. And Jacksonville is a drug bust county! Because they have bad drugs! I've heard of at least 5 Meth labs there.

Pitbulls shouldn't fault you anywhere neither.. If your getting a home that is. Most landlords don't care about your dogs, and more less on a fenced property. One of my aunt's is a realtor and she says some people are hesitant on pitbulls, most are over the stereotype. I've had a pitbull on every side of town we moved too and nobody ever had any negativity about them. Neighbors nor landlord.

Last edited by IceKold1080P; 01-21-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,533,903 times
the above poster cant be serious...fayetteville is not a bad drug place? uhhhh lol WRONG. you can easily easily easily get any drug under the sun in fayetteville. it wouldnt be hard either there's drug dealers just walking around bragg blvd looking for clients.

cities to avoid:

fayetteville
greensboro
raleigh
durham
charlotte
wilmington
asheville
goldsboro
asheboro
high point
winston salem
chapel hill
paulsboro
kinston
pinehurst/southern pines
greensville
jacksonville
wilson
rocky mount
wilkesboro
boone
hickory
gastonia
concord
havelock
sanford
kernersville
apex
garner
kannapolis
morganton
burlington
clinton
laurinburg
rockingham
lumberton
pembroke
statesville

point im trying to make is every single city in every single state in every single country in this world has every drug available. your boyfriend needs to NOT have a weak mind, moving to a new area and starting over should be enough. its not hard to avoid drugs if you really want to.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,896,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull mommy View Post
I know this, although it can be done if i don't go through rental companies and/our patty large pretty deposits. That aside. I still need a general location in order to even begin looking since i do have the bred against us. We even looked into a couple rent to own places, but i want to really be sure on the location first.
You don't seem to realize that NC is a large state and we can't just tell you 'you should move to ____". If you have friends here, you should maybe live with them for a bit and research areas, but "throwing a dart at the map" which seems to be what you're doing, without knowig anything about your job prospects, etc, is very risky in a state you don't know anything about--never mind the issue with the pitties and trying to stay away from anywhere you might run into drug dealers.

FWIW I know someone who has multiplte pit bulls and lives in the little town of Eli Whitney, in the center of the state, near Burlington. Very rural there, but I don't think your job prospects would be good and I have no idea what the 'drug situation' is.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM

848 posts, read 1,125,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
the above poster cant be serious...fayetteville is not a bad drug place? uhhhh lol WRONG. you can easily easily easily get any drug under the sun in fayetteville. it wouldnt be hard either there's drug dealers just walking around bragg blvd looking for clients.

cities to avoid:

fayetteville
greensboro
raleigh
durham
charlotte
wilmington
asheville
goldsboro
asheboro
high point
winston salem
chapel hill
paulsboro
kinston
pinehurst/southern pines
greensville
jacksonville
wilson
rocky mount
wilkesboro
boone
hickory
gastonia
concord
havelock
sanford
kernersville
apex
garner
kannapolis
morganton
burlington
clinton
laurinburg
rockingham
lumberton
pembroke
statesville

point im trying to make is every single city in every single state in every single country in this world has every drug available. your boyfriend needs to NOT have a weak mind, moving to a new area and starting over should be enough. its not hard to avoid drugs if you really want to.
Indeed! Rich as well as poor areas...

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,348,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKold1080P View Post
Pitbulls shouldn't fault you anywhere neither.. If your getting a home that is. Most landlords don't care about your dogs, and more less on a fenced property.
My dh and I have been in the rental business for over 25 years (although not in NC), and we don't take dogs at all, much less three pit bulls. Did you read the pp about how the landlord's insurance premiums skyrocket if they take someone with "a" pitbull, much less three of them? Our insurance company makes us fill out a questionaire every so often and one of the first questions they ask is if we rent to dogs, particularly pit bulls. In this litigious society of ours, it just wouldn't make sense to rent to someone with three pit bulls, and I think the OP will have a very hard time finding anyone, anywhere, who will take them unless, frankly, the place is a dump and the landlord is desperate.

As far as trying to avoid drugs, the sad truth is that here in America, drugs are everywhere. I live in a small town (about 4,000 people) where the crime rate is almost nil, and there are still plenty of drugs around, in fact someone just got busted for running a meth lab out of their house right in town. Wealthy areas aren't even exempt, either. A wealthy suburb in our area has been battling heroin abuse in their high school over the past several years, because the kids have money and not enough parental involvement or supervision. If someone is truly set on getting their hands on drugs, they can find them no matter where they live. The best bet for you and your bf would be to seek out friends your age somewhere like a volunteer group or church where the people are more likely to have their lives together and not use drugs. If you don't have friends who use, your bf is a lot less likely to get involved again.

Last edited by canudigit; 01-26-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 AM

13,390 posts, read 27,219,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Did you read the pp about how the landlord's insurance premiums skyrocket if they take someone with "a" pitbull, much less three of them?
Agreed, the landlord can be sued if a dog gets loose and bites someone. I have known a situation where the landlord was sued because a pit was able to get out through a chain link fence. The suit claimed the fence was not well maintained.

As the owner of a rental home, we allow dogs but not pit bulls.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM

203 posts, read 414,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
As far as trying to avoid drugs, the sad truth is that here in America, drugs are everywhere ... If someone is truly set on getting their hands on drugs, they can find them no matter where they live. The best bet for you and your bf would be to seek out friends your age somewhere like a volunteer group or church where the people are more likely to have their lives together and not use drugs. If you don't have friends who use, your bf is a lot less likely to get involved again.
Pitbull Mommy, the previous poster I quoted above is absolutely correct on this point. And while you folks are trying to avoid (or minimize your contact with) people who use "drugs" always keep in mind that alcohol continues to be America's most widespread drug of abuse, regardless of "legality." It's just perceived as more socially respectable. Nonetheless, alcohol is another dangerous drug that should generally be avoided whenever possible.
Overheard at a party: "Look at them damned criminals out there in the kitchen, smoking that reefer, snorting that coke, and shooting that smack. I saw what they were doing. Somebody oughta lock all of their asses up. If I wasn't too drunk to dial the phone, I'd call the cops on 'em myself ... anybody got another cold beer?"
So try to focus on staying away from all that sort of thing, as much as possible, regardless of where you choose to live. It can keep you out of a lot of trouble, and it can save your lives.

"Drug abuse" in the United States continues to be an all-pervading problem throughout our society, from the kids in the neighborhood, to the people who repair your car, and sometimes even including the President of the United States. You may have missed this when it was in the news:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_substance_abuse_controversy

Here are links to a few recent news stories that illustrate the scope of the problem:

3 Charged in Winston-Salem Heroin Ring | News | North Winston Salem News

Charlotte, N.C., emerges as heroin center - UPI.com

Another heroin ring broken up | StarNewsOnline.com

DEA Busts Coast-To-Coast Heroin Ring

I only looked for articles relating to "heroin" and "North Carolina" ... I didn't bother looking for articles related to Pittsburgh; I have friends in Pittsburgh, and a good idea of what's there. And I only focused on one major drug, because I didn't want to be linking to 100 articles, or 1000, in this posting.

But anybody reading this posting (and checking out the links above) should have a very clear idea of the scope of the problem in today's world. And yes, it's an extremely serious problem.

For you folks who originally posted the question, all you and your bf have to do is take care of yourselves (and your dogs), live each day one at a time. Look for houses in areas where you think you might want to live that are being rented directly by their owners, and not through property management companies or realtors.

Start by locating LOCAL newspapers in areas you want, and looking for home rentals in the classified sections of those newspapers' online editions. "Craig's List" is also a good resource in many areas. Most of the classified ads will have either an e-mail address or a phone number. Phone number is better if it's included in the ad.

SPEND SOME TIME TALKING TO YOUR PROSPECTIVE FUTURE LANDLORD, IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE HEARING. "Southerners" are generally pretty friendly people who like to talk a lot. And the longer you can keep a friendly conversation going, the more likely you may be able to work something out with that particular landlord.

It's probably NOT a good idea to say anything to a prospective landlord about your bf's previous involvement with "hard drugs" (or even marijuana, which despite growing social acceptance is still a "hot button" for some people).

Instead, you could say something like "we're looking for a quiet, low-crime neighborhood"; or just ask a leading question such as "what's the neighborhood like?" or "what are the neighbors like?" and let the prospective landlord tell you all about it.

Best of luck in your quest,
Dan

Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM

124 posts, read 243,805 times
Pitbull Mommy I understand what you are asking so let me try to answer your question..yes drugs are everywhere but some places are worse then others when it comes to meeting friends and having co-workers that are likely to be offering or doing drugs. Look around the Triangle area...it may be easier to find a rental house in the smaller surrounding towns like Hillsborough area for your dogs. Ive lived in and traveled around NC for 40 years and Id say you will have the least problems with both drugs and finding a rental in the Triangle. Asheville you could get your dogs in and probably find a high paying culinary job but you would run in to drug users every where. Charlotte area and surrounding Id say the same thing..dogs-yes..job-yes but drugs are prevalent...just not as many as Asheville. The coastal area like someone else said is full of drugs..so if you want to try and find an area in NC that fits your needs IMO it would be the Triangle area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina