Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
I knew you were joking
I think many of us wish we could stay put, & know our kids will choose to live near us too... it rarely seems to work like that nowadays. That is bad for ALL of us

I have some extended family in NC- transplants form 15 years agao. They love their life but still consider NY "home" However, tehir kids married locals & none of them is going back North! They are in NC for the long haul. The rest of my family , or at least most of it, are considering relocating down to NC.
The saddest thing about life on Long Island now is that both parents are usually working 40-50 hour weeks, so the the weekends are catch-up time in a way that does not allow for the family socializing with cousins that I had as a child. I am tearing my kids away from seeing their cousins once or twice a year. Their cousins all live 5 - 10 miles away.
My relatives in NC have big informal gatherings every 5-6 weeks. Yes, they work hard but somehow the lifestyle is more conducive to making some time for family.

We are definitely looking forward to a big new house, but what good is it if you have no time to enjoy it? We are most looking forward to having more time.
ok; I'm not from Long Island... I'm from upstate ny... Rochester. We aren't like the rest of you busy bodied NYC metro area residents. My family gets together every WEEKEND. If they wait that long. Everyone is 5 minutes from eachoter at most. I am missing out; that's the point I'm trying to make. None here, but many of my neighbors whom have transplanted from the NE corridor laugh so hard at us when we tell them we are moving back to New York. It's pretty pig headed. I mean, they are nice people and all for the most part; but it just seems pretty ridiculous to say I don't know what I am doing. Personaly I wish I had listened to my neighbors in NY 11 years ago when they told me I would miss home. Just curious; would you happen to be working in RTP? Because if you don't think you will have to face a long commute and HORRIBLE traffic in Wake County no matter where you work. I'm sorry to say you are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2006, 08:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,263 times
Garlic fries.. sounds interesting....

So I ran this through the 'redneck translator' (no offense to anyone intended) and it only had one change:

I'll have an order of fried clams, garlic fries and 4 cold beers please.

it was translated to:

I'll have an order of fried clams, garlic fries `n` 4 cold beers please.

So looks like I'll fit in okay. Well maybe eventually.

You guys are brave for going in with no jobs. I approached my boss last year and he said no way about telecommuting so we dropped the idea of moving for a while. This year we decided to move anyway and his tune actually changed...

Now we just have to survive the stress of selling and moving...
It's like Saturday cleaning day everyday. We've had 5 showings in 7 days and with the trolls running wild and the dogs and the birds and the **** ferret we had to get, it's a miracle that nobody has stepped in anything yet.

That's a tough one nascarnancy. We just did something similar on an enclosed pool that we get nothing in return for and our house is underpriced on top of it all. Our development has about 5 different style houses and there's another one like ours coming on next week so we're trying to get the hook in someones mouth before they get a chance to look at something different. Are you bringing your RV with you? We have a fifth wheel that we're trying to decide if we want to bring with us or try and sell it before we go. Haven't had much opportunity to check out campgrounds yet.

Mark

Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 PM

20 posts, read 59,828 times
Ok I guess i need to chime in here. We are also seriously thinking about a move south it will probably be in the Mooresville area. We now live in Maryland and we are just fed up with all the political BS that surrounds the state. I will be flying down in May to look around. Then we will vacation on Lake Norman the last week in June. We have two girls ages 6 and 2 and we were told that Moresville schools are very good. We are also one of the crazy ones that are moving down with no job.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Pssshh. Maryland is the South. lol. To a New Yorker... MD is the South. You guys are below the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM

107 posts, read 354,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Thanks all for the insight so far.

My bummer is that this is voluntary for us. I wish my company were moving !!

I hear you guys on the taxes, ours just jumped to over $5500 per year and we live in this cow town and don't even have a grocery store or a gas station.

Keep the stories coming, love to hear of others success.

Mark
Hi Mark, we are in the same boat as you are. We are living on long Island and we have 4 children. WE are basically getting pushed out because the cost of living is so high. This will be voluntary and my husband is willing to give up everything and he does make a good salary here but we also feel that in years from now , our kids wont be able to branch out on their own on long Island so we would be setting them up for failure... That is what is prompting us....

Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap
Ok I guess i need to chime in here. We are also seriously thinking about a move south it will probably be in the Mooresville area. We now live in Maryland and we are just fed up with all the political BS that surrounds the state. I will be flying down in May to look around. Then we will vacation on Lake Norman the last week in June. We have two girls ages 6 and 2 and we were told that Moresville schools are very good. We are also one of the crazy ones that are moving down with no job.
We are in the proccess of buying two houses in Mooresville. One will eventually be a rental but we will live in it untill the new home is built.
We were just there over the weekend looking at houses.
Just curious- what is bringing you to Mooresville???

Old 04-26-2006, 08:52 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Garlic fries.. sounds interesting....

So I ran this through the 'redneck translator' (no offense to anyone intended) and it only had one change:

I'll have an order of fried clams, garlic fries and 4 cold beers please.

it was translated to:

I'll have an order of fried clams, garlic fries `n` 4 cold beers please.

So looks like I'll fit in okay. Well maybe eventually.

You guys are brave for going in with no jobs. I approached my boss last year and he said no way about telecommuting so we dropped the idea of moving for a while. This year we decided to move anyway and his tune actually changed...

Now we just have to survive the stress of selling and moving...
It's like Saturday cleaning day everyday. We've had 5 showings in 7 days and with the trolls running wild and the dogs and the birds and the **** ferret we had to get, it's a miracle that nobody has stepped in anything yet.

That's a tough one nascarnancy. We just did something similar on an enclosed pool that we get nothing in return for and our house is underpriced on top of it all. Our development has about 5 different style houses and there's another one like ours coming on next week so we're trying to get the hook in someones mouth before they get a chance to look at something different. Are you bringing your RV with you? We have a fifth wheel that we're trying to decide if we want to bring with us or try and sell it before we go. Haven't had much opportunity to check out campgrounds yet.

Mark
Mark- i feel your pain. It took us 6 months before we sold.Our market had been hot and finally cooled about the time we listed. We did list at a time when the holidays were soon approaching.We had to drop the price twice ( would have sold in a hearbeat last summer to a tune of around $40k or more!!). I cannot tell you how many showings, open houses we dealt with.
We were overly accomadating where we would get a phone call and it was to be shown in a hour. We never said no. It was so difficult to have so many people tromping through your home. We even had a deal that fell through after a week into it. The dissapointments are huge when you have committed to the idea and are ready to go. Finally now two weeks ago we sold. Less than we wanted but at this point we were ready. We have to be out in two weeks, put our stuff in storage, live with my parents for a month and them leave around mid June in truck and travel trailer.
We decided to keep ours because we love to camp and just bought it brand new last year. It's an 06 still still very new.
Hang in there as far as selling. It will happen. Sometimes it just takes time.
Through the course of it all we felt our R.E Agent was not aggresive enough.
She was so close to being fired untill we gave her an ultimatum.
She told us how there were some "really" interested people that had come to open house twice but was waiting for some finacing to get in order. We said "you have one week" to make this sale happen. She got the hint!!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
FWIW, we're considering using a realty company that guarantees to buy your house if it doesn't sell in 6 months. There are some conditions, and the most they'll buy your house for is 90% of the appraised value. If it's legit, we might go that route.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 59,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
We are in the proccess of buying two houses in Mooresville. One will eventually be a rental but we will live in it untill the new home is built.
We were just there over the weekend looking at houses.
Just curious- what is bringing you to Mooresville???

We are looking for a change in are life and have talked to several people about Mooresville and they all said they love it. You said you are buying a rental property! how will the cash flow on it be? I will also be buying some rental properties down in the Charlotte area. . I will be flying down on the 10th of May to start searching

Old 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Default Checking out the commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Just curious; would you happen to be working in RTP? Because if you don't think you will have to face a long commute and HORRIBLE traffic in Wake County no matter where you work. I'm sorry to say you are mistaken.
Well, my husband will not be working in RTP but we did our homework before he left. He is already there- it is an easy 20-30 minute drive. To a Long Islander that is pleasant. It used to be an hour and a half, one way, IF everything went smoothly!!!! Plus that commute was like $350 a month and rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina