Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 10,433 times

Advertisements

Lets just start off with I do not know much about North Carolina in general, I have just always had a hunch about living there, and there is no time like the present. I am currently 19 years old and will be moving probably in the next year or so. I just was not sure which parts are best. I am going to be visiting soon, so I just wanted to know what cities and towns would be best to look at, I will be moving with an associates degree in Nursing, so jobs shouldn't be a problem. I would just like a safe town for a 20 year old female to live alone in. I was looking into Raleigh and then Wilmington. I like the coastal towns but then again, Raleigh just seems to have opportunities. Also, is North Carolina a decent place to live and be? How are the people? I am from Arizona, so I am used to desert and not much more, moving away has been something I have always wanted to pursue. Also, don't take this the wrong way, but are the towns majority african american or white? Its pure curiosity. Any input on this move would be useful, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
First--MOve to the area you find work in.
Second-Be able to afford the area you move to where you find work in.
Three--Nothing else matters beyond the first and second.

Do not assume jobs will not be a b problem. NC has many colleges turing out LPNs every year.
Typically look around Greensboro, Charlotte, Winston-Salem areas.
Raleigh will be crowded with NCState, UNC and DUke graduates, so will Greenville as ECU is there. Jacksonville and Fayetteville are military and have spouses all looking for work.\
Wilmington is ok, it does have UNC-W, but it is probably more expensive?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduhamell View Post
Lets just start off with I do not know much about North Carolina in general, I have just always had a hunch about living there, and there is no time like the present. I am currently 19 years old and will be moving probably in the next year or so. I just was not sure which parts are best. I am going to be visiting soon, so I just wanted to know what cities and towns would be best to look at, I will be moving with an associates degree in Nursing, so jobs shouldn't be a problem. I would just like a safe town for a 20 year old female to live alone in. I was looking into Raleigh and then Wilmington. I like the coastal towns but then again, Raleigh just seems to have opportunities. Also, is North Carolina a decent place to live and be? How are the people?
How can you have "had a hunch about living" somewhere you admit not knowing anything about? How did you manage to pick NC over other states? I can't fathom wanting to move somewhere I had never been, knew nothing about, and didn't have a job lined up?

Can you be more clear in your reason for picking NC or other places? How do you know NC is in fact where you want? It's a very dfiverse state with all kind of terrain, everything from urban to rural, liberal to conservative, but you somehow believe it is "the place" for you, yet don't know anything about it? I can't really understand your post...

Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
How can you have "had a hunch about living" somewhere you admit not knowing anything about? How did you manage to pick NC over other states? I can't fathom wanting to move somewhere I had never been, knew nothing about, and didn't have a job lined up?

Can you be more clear in your reason for picking NC or other places? How do you know NC is in fact where you want? It's a very dfiverse state with all kind of terrain, everything from urban to rural, liberal to conservative, but you somehow believe it is "the place" for you, yet don't know anything about it? I can't really understand your post...

She had a hunch after reading an article online from Forbes

Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,433 times
I knew people that lived there when I was little and used to hear stories about it, plus I like the east coast, but I don't want to go too east, which is why North Carolina seemed to be a good compromise. Also, it's beautiful. I'll be visiting soon and looking for jobs while I'm there, I'm not going to just pick up and move with nothing planned in advanced.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,938 times
Quote:
I knew people that lived there when I was little and used to hear stories about it, plus I like the east coast, but I don't want to go too east, which is why North Carolina seemed to be a good compromise. Also, it's beautiful. I'll be visiting soon and looking for jobs while I'm there, I'm not going to just pick up and move with nothing planned in advanced.
Go any more east, you'll be in the Atlantic Ocean!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
You can find a lot of information by reading older posts in this forum and in the subforums. Also, read some of the city pages: https://www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina.html

If you haven't already, start saving money for your move. Moves are expensive, and jobs are not easy to find. This is the time to do it, though, when you're young and don't have a family to take care of. (Hunches are okay if you have some money and few responsibilities! )

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Quote:

You are talking about NC and not Tennessee right? There is no state east of NC. As far as geography goes, it doesn't get much more "East" than NC.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You are talking about NC and not Tennessee right? There is no state east of NC. As far as geography goes, it doesn't get much more "East" than NC.

I have a hunch this is going to be a hi-larious thread.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
I like the east coast, but I don't want to go too east, . . .
To those who are getting distracted by this: Zoom out a little. The east coast of the United States does extend much farther east than NC's coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina