Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 AM

56 posts, read 282,317 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to relocate from Michigan so that my husband can find a teaching job (in Michigan between 200-500 people apply for every job posted). I've been researching but it takes so much time working with just a map and the internet. North Carolina is our first choice of states to move to and I'm hoping people on this site can help provide information which might save me some time and make things easier.

Here's what I'm looking for: A small town with very low crime, good schools (we have 3 kids) and either on a lake or river or very close to one. I don't want to live too close to the ocean or a large metropolitan area. I'm looking for a town with a population of between 6,000-25,000 and prefer to be at least an hour or so away from the nearest huge city. I want a town that has an older downtown area/historic district with older homes. I'd like to be within a 15 minute drive of a Walmart, K-mart, grocery store or similar stores for basic shopping and within an hour or so of a mall for major shopping. Lastly, the price of a decent sized home (2000-2300 sq ft) close to the downtown needs to be around the $200,000-$250,000 price range (fixer uppers okay).

I know I'm asking the impossible but if I can find a town with as many of these things as possible it would be great. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,882,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoskey View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to relocate from Michigan so that my husband can find a teaching job (in Michigan between 200-500 people apply for every job posted). I've been researching but it takes so much time working with just a map and the internet. North Carolina is our first choice of states to move to and I'm hoping people on this site can help provide information which might save me some time and make things easier.

Here's what I'm looking for: A small town with very low crime, good schools (we have 3 kids) and either on a lake or river or very close to one. I don't want to live too close to the ocean or a large metropolitan area. I'm looking for a town with a population of between 6,000-25,000 and prefer to be at least an hour or so away from the nearest huge city. I want a town that has an older downtown area/historic district with older homes. I'd like to be within a 15 minute drive of a Walmart, K-mart, grocery store or similar stores for basic shopping and within an hour or so of a mall for major shopping. Lastly, the price of a decent sized home (2000-2300 sq ft) close to the downtown needs to be around the $200,000-$250,000 price range (fixer uppers okay).

I know I'm asking the impossible but if I can find a town with as many of these things as possible it would be great. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your time!
Communities that come to mind are Taylorsville, Lincolnton and Belmont. Best of luck in your search!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,614 times
Check out Danville, Virginia and the surrounding area. It sits about 3 miles from the North Carolina border and it fits the description of what you're looking for. Don't let the information about low employment scare you off. I moved to Danville from Memphis and i work with teachers. It has the Dan River, a Wal-Mart and K-Mart and a new Target coming in soon. It is about 45 minutes from Greensboro, but we don't get traffic from there. Housing is not expensive except for the very old historic houses and the gigantic new luxury homes and the cost of living is low. The downtown area is very nice and the historic homes beautiful. There are also a number of smaller towns in the area that you would like...both in VA and in NC where the taxes are lower.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,317,559 times
How about Washington, NC? (Known around here as Little Washington.) Population between 10-15,000, on the Pamlico River, VERY historic waterfront district, lots of beautiful old homes downtown. The area is just now being discovered, and it's my understanding that now may be the best time to buy, before prices escalate. Greenville's about 20 miles away, but it's by no means a "huge" city.

Some links that might help you out:

Washington, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Washington, NC Washington, North Carolina (broken link)

Washington, North Carolina

Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM

123 posts, read 512,461 times
Check out 7 Lakes, NC. Fits ALL of your requirements, to a tee! Gated Community, good schools, 1 hour from Greensboro (malls), 15 minutes from Wal-mart and other shopping. Lakes, stables, and golf all in the same place.
10 minutes from Pinehurst. 15 from Southern Pines.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 PM

I can't believe how many responses I've gotten already. Thanks everyone for your help!

The town I live in has a year round population of about 6,000 and in the Summer months it goes up to about 20,000 when the Summer people open their homes (resort town). I'm looking for a town about the same size. I'm used to having a Super Walmart, Big Kmart, JC Penny's, Home Depot, Lowe's, Office Max, Pier One, Fashion Bug (clothing store) and Maurice's (clothing store) plus all of the chain fast food restaurants (McDonalds, 2 Burger Kings, Wendys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Arbys) as well as a dozen or so other restaurants. All of these are in town, in the city limits or just outside of town. The nearest indoor mall is 1 1/2 hrs away. I'm looking for a town that has all of these things or as close to it as I can find.

I looked at the towns lovesMountains suggested and unfortunatley they're all too small. I'm looking for one with a minimum of 6,000 population so there will be some restaurants a few shops and grocery stores. Anything smaller and you have to drive out of town for the basics.

Sweetea888 suggesting Danville but's it's way too large for me. A population of 25,000 would be my size limit and the towns around Danville are way too small.

Claire_F suggested Washington and while the town looks lovely, it's just too close to the coast for me.

havin fun mentioned Seven Lakes but I'm not looking for a gated community. I'm interested in living in a town with an old Historic downtown area. Plus Seven Lakes is too small.

I appreciate everyone's time and hope the suggestions keep coming. We're hoping to find a nice area soon so my husband can start looking in the area for a teaching job. Thanks!!

Old 09-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoskey View Post
I can't believe how many responses I've gotten already. Thanks everyone for your help!

The town I live in has a year round population of about 6,000 and in the Summer months it goes up to about 20,000 when the Summer people open their homes (resort town). I'm looking for a town about the same size. I'm used to having a Super Walmart, Big Kmart, JC Penny's, Home Depot, Lowe's, Office Max, Pier One, Fashion Bug (clothing store) and Maurice's (clothing store) plus all of the chain fast food restaurants (McDonalds, 2 Burger Kings, Wendys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Arbys) as well as a dozen or so other restaurants. All of these are in town, in the city limits or just outside of town. The nearest indoor mall is 1 1/2 hrs away. I'm looking for a town that has all of these things or as close to it as I can find.

I looked at the towns lovesMountains suggested and unfortunatley they're all too small. I'm looking for one with a minimum of 6,000 population so there will be some restaurants a few shops and grocery stores. Anything smaller and you have to drive out of town for the basics.

Sweetea888 suggesting Danville but's it's way too large for me. A population of 25,000 would be my size limit and the towns around Danville are way too small.

Claire_F suggested Washington and while the town looks lovely, it's just too close to the coast for me.

havin fun mentioned Seven Lakes but I'm not looking for a gated community. I'm interested in living in a town with an old Historic downtown area. Plus Seven Lakes is too small.

I appreciate everyone's time and hope the suggestions keep coming. We're hoping to find a nice area soon so my husband can start looking in the area for a teaching job. Thanks!!
Look a little closer at Belmont - it does have over 8000 in population. Besides being a lovely little town it is about 20 minutes to uptown Charlotte, but a world away. You could live there and never go to Charlotte, but if you WANTED bigger and better entertainment and restaurants it would be very close. Not to mention, the great shopping at malls like South Park Mall or Carolina Place Pavillion within 35-40 minutes (think Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Dillards etc). For regular trips to places like WalMart and Home Depot you would only have to drive a few miles over toward Gastonia to find it all (not even 15 minutes), though even in Belmont there is some retail and some dining options. This little town really is a hidden gem right on the Catawba River. Additionally, it is home to Belmont Abbey College - a wonderful over 100 year old school with a beautiful campus

Just remembered, they did open a new super WalMart in north Belmont last summer.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-02-2007 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM

I found a neat little bungolow built in 1923 in Belmont for $217,000, but the link won't post, sorry! Wanted to show you some pics

Old 09-02-2007, 04:41 PM

I had looked at the town of Belmont in my search previous to posting on this site and had already ruled it out. It's the right size and has everything I need close by but the crime rate was too high and it's way too close to Charlotte which is a huge town. I'm really looking for a largish small town in a rural area like where I live now. I'm starting to think that I'm not going to find what I'm looking for in North Carolina because I'm being so picky but the place I'm coming from is so perfect for what I want and need (except the ability for my husband to get a job) that it might ruin it for any other town. Here is the link to my home town in case anyone wants to get a feel for what I'm looking for: https://www.city-data.com/city/Petoskey-Michigan.html

The only thing I would change about Petoskey, the town I currently live in, is the difficulty of getting a teaching job within driving distance and Jan-March (not enough sunshine and a bit too cold for my tastes). If my husband could get a job I'd stay dispite the 3 bad months. It's a beautiful, well kept town right on the shore of Lake Michigan with a busy historic downtown with excellent schools and very low crime. You can leave your home and car unlocked without fear of your things being stolen. I was hoping to find something similar in North Carolina.

I'd still appreciate any suggestions if anyone has any more. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 PM

197 posts, read 959,442 times
It's really hard to find a Pier One in a small town in NC.

Check out Pinehurst/Southern Pines.
Not sure if it fits cost-wise, but the closest thing I can think of in NC
to fit your description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina