Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,142,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcriber75 View Post
How far actually is smithfield or wilmington from bragg...If they were married and lived on base does it cost then for them to live on base?
It looks like Smithfield is closer to Fayetteville- 46 miles up I-95. Wilmington is 88 miles. Both are feasible commutes if the student's schedule is planned well. Maybe she could arrange to have classes only three days a week.

The housing allowance depends on the BF's rank and other things. Here's an article: What the Recruiter Never Told You, Part 6 -- Housing, Barracks, and Housing Allowance However, it doesn't have current rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 11,641 times
It does not cost them to live on base, but he will not get a housing allowance. However, they have minimal utilities to pay on base, so could be cheaper. Also, if/when he gets deployed, it would be safer for her to be on base. There will also be support groups for her.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM

983 posts, read 3,994,403 times
Quote:
How far actually is smithfield or wilmington from bragg. They seem to be the closest school that offer medical sonography which is what she wants to do. I'm not sure where they are going to live yet. They are engaged now as of New Year's Day!! He had to go back that day as well. Was very sad!! So hard on them. Be glad when they can be together but will be very hard on me losing my daughter so far away!!! If they were married and lived on base does it cost then for them to live on base? This stuff confuses me!!! If anyone knows of any other colleges offering sonography programs closer please let me know!!!
thanks
Smithfield is about an hour's drive down I-95 to I-295.

Wilmington is about 2 1/2 hours from Ft. Bragg.

Have you checked into Fayetteville Technical Community College? They offer tons of medical programs.

If they're married, they qualify for base housing. If they live off post, they get BAH, which is an "allowance" towards rent/house payment.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,994,824 times
If they live on post they have a lease contract with the post housing contractor. They do have their BAH taken and it is paid to the housing contractor. There is also a program that will charge them if they use more than an allotted amount of utilities. Plus, when you move out they can and will charge you for damages as aggressively as any other landlord. With private contractors running post housing it is not the good deal it once was.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 25,072 times
so my daughter trying to tell me that his sargent that he has been with the last few days because he just got to Bragg is saying even to live off base they have to be married? Is this true or they just trying to pull something and wanna get married I wonder. I thought that was the point of living off base if you weren't married. Didn't think you could live on base unless you were married!!! I am a little confused. Don't know how they could tell someone they basically can't live together if they are not married!!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
so my daughter trying to tell me that his sargent that he has been with the last few days because he just got to Bragg is saying even to live off base they have to be married? Is this true or they just trying to pull something and wanna get married I wonder. I thought that was the point of living off base if you weren't married. Didn't think you could live on base unless you were married!!! I am a little confused. Don't know how they could tell someone they basically can't live together if they are not married!!!!

If he is not married then he has to live in barracks in most cases. Unless he is of high rank. Some people maintain a barracks room and live off post. It was called "ghosting" in the USAF. I did it myself. He can get in trouble with his command if they don't allow it. His Sgt probably wants him close at hand for extra duty and details.

Actually NC has an 1805 law against cohabitation but it was ruled unenforceable by the courts in 2009.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM

so more than likely he couldn't live off base unless they got married then. I thought they were just trying to pull something over on me and wanted to get married soon. she isn't even 18 until August and was planning to move down there then cause she graduates in May but staying the summer here so we can do some thing since she will be 13 hours away from home which I am not going to do well with. I would like to move becaue I am a nurse and can get a job everywhere but have a 10 y/o and can't just pick up and move every 2 years he gets transferred. is that the usual. do they usually stay about 2 years then get transfered do you know. he just got out of AIT last week and just got stationed to bragg on wednesday.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 AM

I have friends that have been on Bragg for 10 years. Not including deployments. So he might not have to move.

Please keep your daughter at home till she graduates. It will be the biggest mistake of her life. Military marriages have a much higher divorce rate than civilians and their chance at their age are pretty bad.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM

oh wow really. i thought they usually got transfered a lot. wish i knew for sure cuz im not gonna like being away and would like to move there but can't move every time he would get transferred if its often.
she is graduating in May and was gonna stay here for the summer then move.
Now they saying that about having to be married for them to live together. Thats not right for the Army to try to force people into marriage that quick. so can he get around that and still live off base and them live together without being married. he said he was going to talk to his sargent about it and suck and how to get around it.
Thanks for all your info. He is actually a firefighter for the Army so don't know if they move less or more often to different places!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Why doesn't he just stay in the barracks till she graduates then the can get married. Why the hurry?

The Army is not forcing anyone to get married that quick. The future son-in-law is trying to pull something to get your daughter. Plus, I believe firefighters work 24 hours shifts at the station. He won't be getting much free time. He needs to learn his job now and learn about the Army.

Let him get a few months under his belt and then let the daughter come here. If they love each other now they will in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina