Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM

8 posts, read 25,072 times

Advertisements

oh he is staying until she gets there. she graduating high school in may and not going there until August. this is what my daughter said the sargent said. thought she was trying to pull something but then you said they had that law but said it was unenforceable. they need to live together first I think for a while before getting married. she won't be there for like 7 months and going to start college there in August.

so they will let them live off base together then if they are not married?

they have been apart for a while. he was living with his dad in indiana before he went to the army so they have had a long distance relationship for a while. Yeah I wouldn't dare let her move until she graduated high school period!!!

i already checked out colleges so we/she gotta go talk to them. she will prob be out there on spring break so can go talk to the college to see what she gotta do and when it starts and such!!

I really appreciate your help and advice!!! Army life is nothing I am familiar with. my dad was in but before I was born!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 AM

983 posts, read 3,993,895 times
Just because he'll be here when she gets here doesn't mean he couldn't get orders a week after she arrives and then he's gone. And they go "TDY" (out "in the field"--could be a week, sometimes 2, or more) quite often. She's left, 18 years old, on her own, in a strange town, with NO support.

She REALLY needs to stay at home and go to school...and grow up some more...before moving off and trying to live the military life. It is NOT an easy life for young military brides with no family, no education, and no job (and all she's going to find in Fayetteville right now, with just a HS education, is minimum wage jobs waitressing or retail, if she's lucky).

Old 02-04-2012, 02:43 PM

107 posts, read 188,247 times
My son will be going to Fort Bragg, he has to report on April 9th. He is currently finishing his Tech school in Ft. Eustis VA. There is no way in hell I would consent him at his age to get married. He is only 19 and just beginning his life and his career. It doesn't matter what you want for your daughter. He signed his life to the Military they get to say when, where and what time. Personally, I think your daughter and the boyfriend need to sit down and really discuss their lives and where they see it going five years from now. Your daughter is way to young to be married and you should be encouraging her to go to college first and foremost. The younger they are when they get married, the earlier the divorce, especially in the Military. Most people do not know how difficult Military life can be for families. You should really find some young Military families and talk with them before you let your daughter just go off to unfamiliar territory and get married especially without family support all around her. However, this is your daughter and these are decisions that are yours to make, just hopefully no one comes to regret them later. Good luck to you all.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,994,232 times
I hope the OP has heard us. It can be hard to convince youngsters of anything at the age. It is for their own good but sometimes they have to make their own mistakes instead of learning form others.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,335,465 times
to reinforce what is said. Mom, encourage your daughter to go to school on her own before she marries. Give your future son in law a chance to grow and learn and establish himself before he takes on the responsibility of marriage. His sergeant is giving him excellent advice so far. They should go with it.

Just to keep it short, the Army is a hard, demanding life of selfless service. if you can encourage your children to hold off on any moves until major goals are met: he gets a promotion, saves money, she gets an education, etc. they will be better off in the short and long term.

I know that the Army way can be mysterious to the newcomer. Hopefully they will hold off until he is the expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina