Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 53,474 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!! I wrote before about getting info about Rocky Mount. I didn't recieve any replys. I have been looking around different areas. I just am not sure where to move. I am looking for a town within 2-3 hours of the coast. We don't want to live in a big city. Also we have two elementary aged children. So we would like an area with good schools and low crime rate. Anyone that can help, please do!! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 11,878 times
Question relocating from nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF
How about the Raleigh area. That is just 2 hours from the coast. 3 1/2 to the Outer Banks. Wonderful area to live,play and raise a family in. If you need any info on this area I am an agent here and would love to send you some.

Debbie
hi debbie i,m also looking to move end of summer from ny i have been to wake forest and the city of raleigh what is the best nicest part as far as high schools go as its also my first priority,some one said the wakefield area but can i hear from you and your in put thanks debbie

Old 05-21-2006, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 138,091 times
Southbound..

You should schedule a small vacation and check the areas yourself to get a feel for what you'd like..

I spent A LOT of time researching a town we thought we wanted to live in.. Looking for housing, crime information, talking to a realtor, etc.. and after all that hard work, we thought we were set, only to find out we didn't like it when we went for a final visit.. We wound up buying a house were our friends live, which wasn't what we expected.

Good luck on your search!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:05 PM

195 posts, read 217,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny
Southbound..

You should schedule a small vacation and check the areas yourself to get a feel for what you'd like..

I spent A LOT of time researching a town we thought we wanted to live in.. Looking for housing, crime information, talking to a realtor, etc.. and after all that hard work, we thought we were set, only to find out we didn't like it when we went for a final visit.. We wound up buying a house were our friends live, which wasn't what we expected.

Good luck on your search!
It is best to have a few places in mind I would assume

Old 05-21-2006, 08:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Just curious jadeny what area ws the one you didn't like? and where did you end up buying?

Old 05-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
It is best to have a few places in mind I would assume

Oh, of course.. I agree with you 100% .. However, the only way you'll know if you like the neighborhood or town enough to move into it, is by scheduling a visit.. And I only say this because sometimes people come here (not you OP), and kinda want people to tell them "move here or there". We all have different needs.

We had first looked into Salisbury.. however, all the nice houses I saw online within our budget wound up being in not too desirable places. I remember this really beautiful house with 1700 sq ft. 3/2, deck, etc. if looked really pretty and affordable to us.. However, when we went to see it personally, the houses across the street looked horrible, super high grass, looked abandoned and dirty. We wanted rural, but it kinda felt too far from work possibilities for us.

Our five days in NC were very productive for us.. we went to police stations, interviewed potential neighbors and really benefited from talking to the people in the neighborhoods we like. We also got in touch with people from our religious denomination, who were really happy to provide us with information and assist us with our possible move. We returned home very satisfied with our trip and decision.. I also felt relieved that there are neighborhoods nowhere near the rate of congestion that we have in Central Fl.. It helped relief some of my concerns.

Thanks for asking and have a nice evening!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:46 PM

Just wanted to briefly add that the reason i said you should visit, is because sometimes its hard to find info on the best little quaint towns.. It's like finding a treasure..lol..

Old 05-21-2006, 08:53 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
We had first looked into Salisbury.. however, all the nice houses I saw online within our budget wound up being in not too desirable places. I remember this really beautiful house with 1700 sq ft. 3/2, deck, etc. if looked really pretty and affordable to us.. However, when we went to see it personally, the houses across the street looked horrible, super high grass, looked abandoned and dirty. We wanted rural, but it kinda felt too far from work possibilities for us.
Well, what has to be understood is the towns/counties outside of the more popular areas (Raleigh/Charlotte) have not developed the stringent zoning that the more popular relocation places employ. And efforts to bring dwellings and property use into line have met with resistance. There is a strong "my land/my use" attitude. I see that in the county where I live (Davie). You can have a frou-frou McMansion on one plot, with a scuzzy single-wide just down the road. As the developers move in and buy up the large tracts, you see more comformity and nicer homes.

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2006 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-22-2006, 04:19 AM

I personally thought that Salisbury's south area was very beautiful.. We met with people that lived in a gorgeous and very peaceful subdivision. (Waaay beyond what we could afford). If work wasn't an issue, I would've liked living there had we found a house on a decent street. DH and I drove through the entire town of Salisbury and the only houses within our budget were the new ones with the little land. We had a couple of showings too. It was a really tiring weekend. At the end, I would've had to drive way too much to get to work, since my work prospect right now is at Greensboro. Other than that, Salisbury would've been fine.

I'm willing to do a lot of things to get further away from this madness here. Wish you could've seen the horrible drivers I had to deal with today at 5:30am..

I hope I expressed myself properly (english is my second language, just a disclaimer.. lol.).

Have a nice day!!

Old 05-22-2006, 05:14 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
I personally thought that Salisbury's south area was very beautiful..
Salisbury is an old town -- older than Charlotte and Raleigh even. Up until the last decade or so, it's been able to retain its sleepy southern aura, so you can still experience a lot of charm.

Have you looked at the 29/85 corridor - Lexington, Thomasville, Archdale? It's an easy jaunt from any of those towns to Greensboro, they are surrounded by rural areas, and ought to be reasonably priced, house-wise.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina