Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM

188 posts, read 596,700 times

Advertisements

I renewed my vehicle registration online and received the sticker in mail. But only the month sticker... Am I supposed to get a year sticker as well?
The sticker I received in mail is Red 12(I think it means December cuz the icon is exactly the same as the November sticker I got last year, just different color).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
I renewed my vehicle registration online and received the sticker in mail. But only the month sticker... Am I supposed to get a year sticker as well?
The sticker I received in mail is Red 12(I think it means December cuz the icon is exactly the same as the November sticker I got last year, just different color).
The "12" is the year--2012. Just like the "11" you got last year was for 2011, not November. The month is written in letters--maybe you have pasted over the month sticker, which should be on the left? The month doesn't change once a plate has one.

Put the 12 on the right corner and peel down to the bottom of the left side and see what month is written there, or check your registration. You might have to take it in to a license plate office to get a new month sticker.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 PM

188 posts, read 596,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The "12" is the year--2012. Just like the "11" you got last year was for 2011, not November. The month is written in letters--maybe you have pasted over the month sticker, which should be on the left? The month doesn't change once a plate has one.

Put the 12 on the right corner and peel down to the bottom of the left side and see what month is written there, or check your registration. You might have to take it in to a license plate office to get a new month sticker.

Thanks. I got it. I thought left is for year and right is for month....
If I only need to change the year, and I put it on the right corner, it should be just right......

Good to learn the month does not change with plate renewal..

Do I have to peel off the old year sticker? I did so but it was hard and I scratched off the paint on the right corner(I used keys and fingernails to peel it off...). Not sure if the sticker will stay if I just paste it over the old one...

Just checked another thread on the forum
An expired plate can cause problems...

Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
No you just place old sticker over old. I dont know if paste will work with rain, car washes etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
Thanks. I got it. I thought left is for year and right is for month....
If I only need to change the year, and I put it on the right corner, it should be just right......

Good to learn the month does not change with plate renewal..
But you still need to have the month (in letters, not numbers) visible on the left side (and so you will know when it's time to renew).

Quote:
Do I have to peel off the old year sticker? I did so but it was hard and I scratched off the paint on the right corner
No, they are remarkably sticky, even several layers thick. Every year when I put a new one on, I will try to peel off the "stack" of old stickers first, and sometimes some will come off (I had my last car for many years, and it made me nervous to have 6, 7, 8 years of stickers on top of each other), but generally, the glue on those is meant to last, in all kinds of weather.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
Quote:
The "12" is The month is written in letters--maybe you have pasted over the month sticker, which should be on the left?
Maybe things are different in Raleigh, but this isn't true here in WNC (where the OP assumably lives) so I understand the initial confusion on his/her part... even more so if we were in the month of December 2011/January 2012 (since motorists are given until the 15th of the following month to update tags.)

99.9% of vehicles on the roads here have a month tag that's red. It displays a large centered number (like "11" for "NOV") with "NC" vertically to the left of the number - yes, placed on upper left corner. For the year sticker that's replaced yearly on the upper right: The year (12) is a lot smaller and on the bottom left with the state silhouette centered on the top of the sticker. Obviously, color changes yearly for that tag.

This morning I happened to notice a month (AUG) sticker (on the top left) on the car in front of me - super faded. If I'm not mistaken, the alpha month tags (JAN, FEB, etcetera...) have been replaced with numbers and are a thing of the past and a rarity to see on a plate.

You can see an example image here.

Quote:
But you still need to have the month (in letters, not numbers) visible on the left side (and so you will know when it's time to renew).
Can you provide a current state link that backs up this statement?

Last edited by angrycandy; 11-02-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
My Month is in numbers It has NC to left then a big 10.
The year sticker you replace has 12 in bottom left corner then image of the state with NC in middle of it then some code beneath it.

Month sticker goes on left side of the plate never needs to be replace. The year tag goes on the right side of the plate this is replace every year during the month that is displayed on right.
or within 15 days after that month.
Inspection needs to be done prior.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
My Month is in numbers It has NC to left then a big 10.
And mine's a big 2 for "FEB."

Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
This morning I happened to notice a month (AUG) sticker (on the top left) on the car in front of me - super faded. If I'm not mistaken, the alpha month tags (JAN, FEB, etcetera...) have been replaced with numbers and are a thing of the past and a rarity to see on a plate.
You are correct; I remembered the letter stickers for many years, but I checked and mine ("2") is indeed a number, sorry.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the month "sticker" is permanent and the month of "coming due" never changes. I can see how for 2011 and 2012, the "11" and "12" would be confusing since they could be months, but if it is a detached stickers, it's the year, which always goes on the right.

They probably SHOULD have kept the "letters" tags for the month, at least past 2012 (once we get to "13", nobody will confuse them).

Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
the month "sticker" is permanent and the month of "coming due" never changes.
This I know.

Your responses just threw me for a loop considering I've lived in this state for a few years and don't recall ever have a lettered month tag on my vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina