Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM

70 posts, read 268,128 times

Advertisements

I have yet to visit Charlotte or Raleigh, but visited Nashville for the first time this past weekend.

I love the small city, the charm, the friendly people, the beautiful women, the slow paced life, the good weather.

Problem is, I don't want to be landlocked in the middle of the country, and am from the Northeast originally, so I want to be on the East Coast, or at least a few hours from the ocean/mountains. So I think Charlotte or Raleigh is where I need to be.

Basically, will I find the characteristics of Nashville in Charlotte or Raleigh?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Neither. Try Louisville Kentucky or perhaps Jacksonville Florida.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlesstheUSA View Post
I have yet to visit Charlotte or Raleigh, but visited Nashville for the first time this past weekend.

I love the small city, the charm, the friendly people, the beautiful women, the slow paced life, the good weather.

Problem is, I don't want to be landlocked in the middle of the country, and am from the Northeast originally, so I want to be on the East Coast, or at least a few hours from the ocean/mountains. So I think Charlotte or Raleigh is where I need to be.

Basically, will I find the characteristics of Nashville in Charlotte or Raleigh?

Thank you!
No, Nashville appears to have quite a divide between the haves and the have nots. It's also a very dirty city. The last time I was there, there was trash on the side of the highways everywhere.

One of my best stories from driving through Nashville was passing by this little old lady who was out for a walk with a baseball bat in hand.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Thank you!
When I think Nashville I think music industry, & the same goes for everyone I know.

I'd look at Asheville, which has an artsy vibe & Philadelphia, which has charm, friendly people, music industry but is a major city.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Being that I'm about to graduate from business school, Asheville won't work for me. Philadelphia is a no-go since I won't live/work in the Bos-Wash Corridor, been there done that. And Atlanta won't work for me since I already lived in a megapolis called Chicago. Being an East Coast guy, as I see it my options are Charlotte, Raleigh, and maybe Nashville.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Being that I'm about to graduate from business school, Asheville won't work for me. Philadelphia is a no-go since I won't live/work in the Bos-Wash Corridor, been there done that. And Atlanta won't work for me since I already lived in a megapolis called Chicago. Being an East Coast guy, as I see it my options are Charlotte, Raleigh, and maybe Nashville.
LOL, Philly is a no-go because then you'd be competing with the Wharton graduates.

Look at the Greenvile/Spartanburg area. They are actually doing better than a lot of metros because of the BMW plant & the related businesses that have clustered there.

By the way, Chicago is a major city, not a megapolis.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, Philly is a no-go because then you'd be competing with the Wharton graduates.

Look at the Greenvile/Spartanburg area. They are actually doing better than a lot of metros because of the BMW plant & the related businesses that have clustered there.

By the way, Chicago is a major city, not a megapolis.
Thanks, I'd love to go to Greenville. I just worry it won't have as many opportunities for MBA grads as a Charlotte or Raleigh would have. But, I can make it work.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'd love to go to Greenville. I just worry it won't have as many opportunities for MBA grads as a Charlotte or Raleigh would have. But, I can make it work.
Check the current unemployment stats for Raleigh, Charlotte, & the Greenville/Spartanburg metro. I think that you'll find that that's your best bet. 5 years ago, I'd say go for it with the NC cities.

The BMW plant is in Greer.

I made initial suggestions based on your original post. You don't think that those beautiful women are in Nashville just because it's Nashville, do you? It's the music biz.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
There are many cities on the east coast besides Raleigh, Charlotte, and Nashville who might have an opportunity for MBAs...Richmond, Columbia, Augusta, Norfolk, DC...unless you specifically "require" a certain population. There may be more jobs in Raleigh and Charlotte (or maybe not) but there is also a lot more competition for them, hence NC's relatively high unemployment rate.

They do say that the Greenville/Spartanburg area is the next big "boom" area, being the link between Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
don't think you will find Nashville in Raleigh or CHarlotte.

Go where you MBA can take you and enjoy the ride. Sure you will find what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina