Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 AM

47 posts, read 162,862 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving some time within the next year.. the choices we have narrowed it down to are NC, CA, FL, or TX. So I am getting information on all of those places. Charlotte and Raleigh have both been suggested to me by girlfriends. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each, and which would be better to raise three little girls in? I'm a single mom, so I need to live in a place that is affordable but also decent. Also, how far are these two cities from the beach? Just curious. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie85 View Post
My family and I are moving some time within the next year.. the choices we have narrowed it down to are NC, CA, FL, or TX. So I am getting information on all of those places. Charlotte and Raleigh have both been suggested to me by girlfriends. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each, and which would be better to raise three little girls in? I'm a single mom, so I need to live in a place that is affordable but also decent. Also, how far are these two cities from the beach? Just curious. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.
Is anyplace in California still "affordable"??? And as far as Florida goes, you should pop over to the Florida board and ask them why so many of them are flocking to NC. People are leaving there almost as fast as they are leaving New Jersey! I actually like Texas, but then, I don't mind the heat either. Just wouldn't live in or near Houston, but the Dallas area is great.

NC does offer the best of so many worlds - we have the ocean and the mountains. We have a change of seasons, beautiful falls and springs. We have some nice communities all over the state. Since you say you want closer to the beach, just be aware our largest beach city is Wilmington, and it is the most expensive city in the state to buy a home in. Charlotte is 3 to 4 hours (and more) to the beach depending on where you want to go and Raleigh is 2 to 3 hours. You could look at smaller areas on the Crystal Coast and most likely find just what you are looking for. Best of luck!

Crystal Coast

Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Keep in mind that "Raleigh" is really more than just the one city. Its a collection of two large cities (Raleigh & Durham), a couple of large towns (Cary & Chapel Hill) and then a number of small towns, suburban developments, and rural counties. Raleigh and Durham are both great and unique cities and should be considered separately rather than just lumping them together. Personally, of the 3 major cities, my favorite is Durham because I think if offers the most charm and character. You'll see plenty of negative information about Durham, however its worth your while to research it yourself so you know the real truth.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
It really depends on your preferences. Raleigh has the universities, no real downtown for a city its size, and is pretty spread out with the other towns mdp mentioned. Charlotte feels more like a city itself with a downtown (dubbed "uptown), bank hq's, etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with either, but I prefer Charlotte for my tastes. Raligh has a pro hockey team, Charlotte has pro football and basketball, and minor league hockey and baseball.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:58 PM

54 posts, read 193,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Raleigh has the universities, no real downtown for a city its size, and is pretty spread out with the other towns mdp mentioned. Charlotte feels more like a city itself with a downtown (dubbed "uptown), bank hq's, etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with either, but I prefer Charlotte for my tastes. Raligh has a pro hockey team, Charlotte has pro football and basketball, and minor league hockey and baseball.

You sound like you have never been to Raleigh. Charlotte does have a bigger "uptown" area, but if you think Raleigh has no downtown I have to assume you live in a cave or are otherwise ignorant to the area. That is a very misleading statement.

FWIW, Charlottes is just as spread out with sprawl as Raleigh. Have you looked at the Charlotte Forum lately? Almost all the posters there live in some sort bedroom community of Charlotte. Very few live in downtown charlotte or even within the city limits. I find that interesting.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeer View Post
You sound like you have never been to Raleigh. Charlotte does have a bigger "uptown" area, but if you think Raleigh has no downtown I have to assume you live in a cave or are otherwise ignorant to the area. That is a very misleading statement.

FWIW, Charlottes is just as spread out with sprawl as Raleigh. Have you looked at the Charlotte Forum lately? Almost all the posters there live in some sort bedroom community of Charlotte. Very few live in downtown charlotte or even within the city limits. I find that interesting.
I have been to Raleigh MANY times (I'm a Hurricanes fan). Many people live in the Charlotte city limits from the UNCC area to NODA to SouthPark to Ballantyne to Steele Creek to Plaza Midwood. These are all neighborhoods/areas within Charlottem proper though they may sound like seperate towns. Also, the bedroom communities in Charlotte are right next to Charlotte. Huntersville, Indian Land/ Fort Mill, SC, Tega Cay SC, Concord anda few more all border Charlotte at some point. Most of Metro Charlotte is within 15 miles of uptown if going by I-77. I live in Fort Mill SC and what we have you can call a downtown too, but is definitly not like Charlotte of course. Downtown Raleigh does not feel like an urban downtown. The population density in Metro Charlotte isn't like NYC or anything, but it's more desne than Raleigh.

Last edited by groove1; 10-23-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM

54 posts, read 193,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I have been to Raleigh MANY times (I'm a Hurricanes fan). Many people live in the Charlotte city limits from the UNCC area to NODA to SouthPark to Ballantyne to Steele Creek to Plaza Midwood. These are all neighborhoods/areas within Charlottem proper though they may sound like seperate towns. Also, the bedroom communities in Charlotte are right next to Charlotte. Huntersville, Indian Land/ Fort Mill, SC, Tega Cay SC, Concord anda few more all border Charlotte at some point. Most of Metro Charlotte is within 15 miles of uptown if going by I-77. I live in Fort Mill SC and what we have you can call a downtown too, but is definitly not like Charlotte of course. The population density in Metro Charlotte isn't like NYC or anything, but it's more desne than Raleigh.

I'm not saying that Charlotte doesn't have an urban core that rocks....it does. But saying Raleigh doesn't have a downtown is just flat out incorrect. Charlotte proper looks much like Raleigh proper to me: older nighborhoods at the core with newer areas (Very suburban) further out. There are loads of people who live in older neighborhoods "inside the beltline" here in Raleigh. It's not like everyone living in the cty limits of Raleigh or Charlotte are living in urban high-rise condos. I thought bedroom communities by definition were always right next to the city. Just as you described the location of the smaller towns next to Charlotte, The same can be said for many of the smaller towns in the triangle adjacent to Raleigh. I have a godo friend who lives in the Ballantyne area but works in uptown. Sure he is close to uptwon in terms of miles, but he has one hell of a commute. Not very different from the many people of Raleigh who choose to live outside the downtown area.

How does Raleigh not feel like it has an urban downtown to you? You say you have been to Hurricane games, but have you gone downtown to Glenwood Avenue area, Moore Square, Fayetteville street, or the Warehouse distrcit. Have you looked at the high rise condos and new convention center going up? In addition to the condos, there are older historic neighborhoods, and over 40K people work downtown. I have been to uptown charlotte and downtown Raleigh. Charlotte is bigger, but Raleigh certainly has an urban downtown. I am not dissing Charlotte, just don't understand the misconceptions people have about Raleigh. THere is enough room in NC for two nice cities isn't there?

Here are some pics I found doing a quick google search: Raleigh Wide Open II - July 21, 2007 - RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina

Last edited by butterbeer; 10-23-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM

I agree, like I said in my post before. I'm not dissing Raleigh either. Charlotte downtown has more of the big buildings which to me make it more of an urban downtown. It lacks shopping, but that is coming this December when the Epicenter opens. Also, both of our pro sports teams play uptown, our minor league hockey team plays uptown, and our AAA basebal team will soon be playing there and those all make for more of a downtown feel too. IMO anyway.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:57 PM

403 posts, read 929,645 times
Raleigh all the way. Vibrant and growing downtown. Also great places to hang in nearby Chapel Hill and Durham (the hidden jewel of the Triangle). Highly educated area and TONS to do (urban things, parks, you name it). I can get to the beach in less than 2 hours from my house, mountains in about 3 hours. Of course I'm biased living in Raleigh. Charlotte is a nice city too. I thought it was a little conservative and corporate for my taste..just my opinion though.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM

I don't think Charlotte is all too conservative...corporate, yes definitely a white collar city. Charlotte is slightly closer to the mountains and further from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina