Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,799 times

Advertisements

Where would a person go to register a gun that they had in another state? We carefully read the fire ams laws, but don't see a thing about whether or not a gun would have to be registered in NC, if brought in legally from another state. An acquintance of mine has a gun that was registered in another state and wants to move to NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz View Post
You can find everything you need to know about NC Firearm Laws here,
www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

In the downloadable pdf file there is a section that discusses Transporting Weapons in NC (read below).

D. Transporting Weapons
Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed, and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile.

Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not.

While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see.

The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area (i.e., vans, etc.), the question arises on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law.

Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 AM

112 posts, read 760,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermey View Post
Where would a person go to register a gun that they had in another state? We carefully read the fire ams laws, but don't see a thing about whether or not a gun would have to be registered in NC, if brought in legally from another state. An acquaintance of mine has a gun that was registered in another state and wants to move to NC.
My disclaimer: I am not an attorney. This is not legal advice. As I say on the gun forum I moderate on, never seek legal advice on the internet; call the police (non-911) and get the answer directly from them. That being said:

There is no law in NC that you have to register your firearms, with the exception of Durham County. He can voluntarily register with the Sheriff's Department, but it is not necessary.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,571 times
I am wanting to purchase a gun but im not sure if my back ground prohibits me from doing so. So i was curious to know if anyone here would know? I was charged with an A1 misdemeanor assault by poiting a gun. I served 2 years probation. I am no longer on probation. And i was wondering if that charge restricts me from owning a firearm.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 PM

223 posts, read 537,942 times
You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb27 View Post
You do have to have a concealed weapon permit to have a loaded gun in the car. Otherwise you need to put the weapon outside of reach with ammo in another location. i.e. Weapon in the trunk and ammo in glove box.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 AM

112 posts, read 760,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levens View Post
I am wanting to purchase a gun but im not sure if my back ground prohibits me from doing so. So i was curious to know if anyone here would know? I was charged with an A1 misdemeanor assault by poiting a gun. I served 2 years probation. I am no longer on probation. And i was wondering if that charge restricts me from owning a firearm.
Not sure. My guess would be no. Usually it's felons who can't own guns. A quick call to the Sheriff's office will get you the answer.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 AM
FMJ

1 posts, read 12,532 times
[url=http://www.grnc.org/firearms.htm#transporting]NC Firearms Law[/url]

Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
One fellow in Durham was home with a sick baby. Wife had car so home looked unoccupied.

Three no good piece of crap kids cut school and burglarized his garage to get into the house.

He shot them in the back as they tried to run like the rats they were. Their worthless parents wanted the homeowner crucified although the kids had serious juvie records.

Thank heaven this was in NC. Grand jury refused to indict.

Moral is - don't shoot 'em in the back.
Is this the one that happened in Woodcroft? I was a kid then so don't remember too much about it. Wasn't he in trouble b/c he shot and killed the kid when he was running away, and not in self defense? Unfortunately you do have to be careful on how you protect yourself. There are crazy cases out there where people were defending themselves and they end up getting charged regardless!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 17,133 times
If you get stopped just shoot the cop and drive away.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
In the state of NC, it is legal to carry a gun in plain sight or behind at least one lock. I can (and have) walked down the street with my pistol on my side on a public sidewalk. I have (not currently b/c young kids and no lock on the glove box) carried said pistol in my locked glove box. I have gone through a license check... the officer asked for my regristration... I replied with "it is in the glove box, there is a loaded pistol in there, you may want to get it out" He asked me to pull to the side... he came around and I gave him my key, he opened the glove box and removed my pistol, then told me to get my registration. He checked the info, said thank you, placed the pistol back in the glove box, locked it back and handed me the key. I was on my way.

Legally, he could have taken my pistol and given me a reciept where I'd have to pick it up at the courthouse. That is up to the discretion of the officer.

As for registration: in the State of NC, registration is no required to own a pistol. A permit is needed to purchase (not own) or take ownership of a short gun (pistol, or firearm less than 18 inches). You can register your firearm (long and short guns) with the sheriff's department of your county, but it is not a requirement to do so.

As for home protection: in the state of NC, once a person is in your home s/he is consitered a guest, you cannot shoot them unless you or other people are in direct physical danger. You can however shoot asomeone through your front door if you feel threateded as long as they have not broken the threshold.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:09 AM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,941 times
I don't think it's as clear cut to just use the NC state gun laws. Many municipalities have additional ordinances which restrict what you can do with guns. CH (http://www.ci.chapel-hill.nc.us/index.asp?NID=95#gun_regulations - broken link)
Even having a permit to carry, I basically feel with all the restrictions it's just too much a pain to actually carry it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina