Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:52 AM

30 posts, read 126,543 times

Advertisements

I live in So. Florida and now own a second home in Murphy NC. I have a few guns that I would like to bring with me when I drive up. Does anyone know if Georgia, TN and NC recognize Florida's concealed weapons permits? Or do I have to get permits for each state I drive through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM

31 posts, read 96,703 times
As long as you're a legal owner in your state of residence you are protected by federal law when transporting your firearms over state lines for legitmate purposes. Of course, I believe your guns have to be in locked containers (unloaded) with any ammo in a separate container. As far as your original question, all three of the states you mentioned have reciprocity agreements with FL, so your carry permit is good in all three. I'd check on the particulars though before I carried in a state that I don't actually have a permit in.

http://www.packing.org/state/florida/ (broken link)

-C

Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
Does anyone know if NC is a Class III friendly state?

Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy316 View Post
I live in So. Florida and now own a second home in Murphy NC. I have a few guns that I would like to bring with me when I drive up. Does anyone know if Georgia, TN and NC recognize Florida's concealed weapons permits? Or do I have to get permits for each state I drive through?

http://www.ncrpa.org/concealed_carry_reciprocity.htm

I have no idea about states you may drive through to reach N.C. As always, double check, do your own research and don't rely on information from total strangers on an Internet forum. ( Including me!)

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-03-2006 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

I think it officially is but I believe it's difficult to impossible to get your sheriff
to sign off...

Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
http://www.ncrpa.org/concealed_carry_reciprocity.htm

I have no idea about states you may drive through to reach N.C. As always, double check, do your own research and don't rely on information from total strangers on an Internet forum. ( Including me!)

Regards,

Cassie
To the person who left me nasty feedback saying that my above post was "b i t c h y and unhelpful" I'd like to suggest that you read the reasons for leaving negative feedback. They are right next to the space now for leaving negative feedback and can't be missed.

I took my time to look up reciprocity in N.C in response to the question and suggested that the original poster double check and do their own research, rather than relying on advice that might be wrong and subsequently get them in a heap of trouble.

I'd also like to thank you, whoever you are, for the final inspiration to quit wasting my time trying to help people who have questions.

There's a current thread on the board about Hudson, NC. Yep, I know about it, the ups and downs. I'm not responding.

To the poor poster in the Triad area who has not found a job for 5 months since moving here, nor has your wife, I have some knowledgeable input there too. Sorry, I'm not responding.

Thanks for the invaluable lesson- you who thinks that I am *b i t c h y and unhelpful.*

YOU can answer the above questions that are still waiting for answers. By all means, jump in and offer YOUR *helpful* advice on those threads.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-04-2006 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-05-2006, 07:46 AM

191 posts, read 1,002,036 times
Yes - NC is a Class III state but it is exspensive

Quote:

Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 AM

131 posts, read 188,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy316 View Post
Stereo,If you obtain conceled weapon permit it is legal
in NC,Fla and Ga but I'm not sure about Tn.I took the class to obtain mine and in class I remember the discussion about the same subject because so many in class lived in Fla and traveled through Ga.The instructer read the regulations aloud.Also you can walk into a firearm store and buy firearms without a permit or a background check.In Tenn you have to be a resident.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Executive Summary - NC is not a Class III friendly state.

Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute 14-409 it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to manufacture, sell, give away, dispose of, use or possess machine guns, sub-machine guns, or other like weapons. A machine gun or sub-machine gun is one which shoots, or can be readily restored to shoot more than one round, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. It also includes any frame or receiver of such a weapon, or parts used in converting a weapon into a machine gun or sub-machine gun. This prohibition does not apply to the following:

1. Banks, merchants, and recognized business establishments for use in their respective places of business. However, these persons must first apply to and receive from the Sheriff of the county in which their business is located, a permit to possess the weapon for the purpose of defending their business;

2. Officers and soldiers of the United States Army, when in the discharge of their official duties;

3. Officers and soldiers of the Militia and the State Guard when being called into actual service;

4. Officers of the State, or county, city or town, charged with the execution of laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties; and

5. The manufacture, use, or possession of such weapons for scientific or experimental purposes when such manufacture, use, or possession is lawful under federal laws and the weapon is registered with a Federal agency, and a permit to manufacture, use, or possess the weapon has been obtained by the Sheriff of the county in which the weapon is located.

Any bona fide resident of the state who now owns a machine gun used in former wars may retain and keep that weapon at his own property, as a relic or souvenir, without violating the provisions of this section, as long as he reports this weapon to the Sheriff of the county in which he lives.

Therefore, certain conditions must be met by the possessor of a machine gun before it may be lawfully kept in North Carolina. First, the possessor must fall within one of the specifically listed exceptions to the general prohibition of ownership. Second, one must also apply for a permit to possess the weapon from the Sheriff. It is then the responsibility of the Sheriff to satisfy himself as to the lawfulness of the reason for such possession and of the good moral character of the possessor. Among other considerations, the Sheriff should consider the inherent danger to the public as a result of the possession of a machine gun.

It has been consistently held within our office that the valid licensing of an individual to possess a machine gun under Federal law does not automatically legitimate his possession of the weapon in the various counties of North Carolina. Nor does such federal licensing require the Sheriff to issue a permit for the possession of such a weapon without first satisfying the prerequisites of G.S. 14-409. Therefore, the permit provisions of G.S. 14-409 would need to be complied with, even though a person is currently licensed under federal law to possess a machine gun.

North Carolina Department of Justice Firearm Laws - Revised August 2006

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 11-05-2006 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 AM

191 posts, read 1,002,036 times
wow - thanks for the info - my husband is the one that told me NC was a class III friendly state. He won't be happy. I sent the info to him - thanks agian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina