Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 AM

328 posts, read 1,036,411 times

Advertisements

Seek information about this area. Moving forward in the quest for a peacful and quiet retirement......Again we want small.....Lived "LARGE" for too long....
Live in the smallest part of Connecticut...GETTING TOO BIG !!!!!!! Though we run a bit slower these days we run smarter. The forum has been very helpful thus far. Keep it coming !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 07:37 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,915,095 times
I am not a resident but here are some links:

http://www.mountairy.org/

www.mtairyncchamber.org/

Old 08-27-2006, 08:29 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,058,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Seek information about this area. Moving forward in the quest for a peacful and quiet retirement......Again we want small.....Lived "LARGE" for too long....
Small you'll get

A few links for the area, if you haven't found them for yourself
http://www.mountairy.org/
http://www.visitmayberry.com/
http://www.mtairyncchamber.org/

We get up there fairly often; there is access in the area (52 and 89) to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

As retirees, I suppose a big concern would be health care. There is one hospital in the area, Northern Hospital of Surry County. They're in the planning phase (last I read) of a $33 mil expansion that will double the surgical suites. My research says they now have 17 surgeons - doubled in the last 10 years. I guess that should indicate the goals for health care in the area.

As far as shopping - *whew* - ain't none A tiny mall, the ubiqitous Walmart, a few stores downtown. The area caters more to the tourist trade (they have a couple of festivals each year that are fun and well attended), so you'd probably have to head straight down 52 into Winston-Salem area if you are a shop-a-holic. As far as groceries, best I can remember is that they have a Food Lion. You can head out 52 toward Cana. At the Virginia line there are several produce stands for fresh veggies and fruit. That area used to get a lot of business, back before NC got a lottery and Cana was the closest place to buy tickets.

For entertainment, Black Wolf Vineyards has live music Fridays and Saturdays, and the Andy Griffith Playhouse has a variety of things going on. Mt airy and the surrounding areas (Galax, Fancy Gap) are known for having bluegrass and fiddle get-togethers. Galax has a yearly Fiddler's Convention that is really neat.

I think most people talk about scenery when they think of moving to Mt Airy. It's at the foot of the mountains and, going north on 52 or 77, even 89, you'll have to traverse about 6-7 miles of switchbacks going up That means dealing with them coming down, too. Scary for first time flatlanders. Of course, there's the Blue Ridge Parkway. People make an entire vacation out of driving on that road.

Being near the mountains means you will get ice and snow when other parts of the state are only cold. As typical with the entire area, you'll probably have trouble getting out when that happens. As a former Midwesterner, used to winter precipitation, this state has the weirdest attitude toward ice and snow. There is little snow removal equipment; everyone runs to the store for bread and milk when the forecast calls for even a dusting of snow; schools close when a snowflake hits the ground. And people can't drive in it. So be ready for that.

Real estate: you'd have to check the realtor sites. I haven't noticed a boom in building up there (YAY!). You'll have no problem finding land that is moderately priced. I did a quick scan of my favorite site: FarmsLandAndCountryHomes (add the dot com to make it a URL) and found homes listed from 700K down to way less that 50K. Land from 10K an acre to 50K (the higher priced lots would most likely be advertised as having views). You might have to prepare yourself being on a septic tank and well.

I'm glad to hear of people looking at Mt Airy for retirement. Most seem to think the Asheville area is the end-all of retirement spots. It is a gorgeous place, but Mt Airy has a more "small mountain town" feel to it. I guess some might get bored with that, but others see that as just what they want.

Good luck on your research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina