Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

Wanted to share my experience in buying an Energy Star qualified entry door for my house from Lowe's. I thought this would be a good time to share since this weekend is tax free on Energy Star appliances. A door isn't an appliance but I found some quirks that seem to save the tax anyway. At least for me in Charlotte, I assume it is the same in all of NC and maybe further.

The second reason is that there is a federal tax credit of 30% for these doors if installed before the end of this year.

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

It's also possible that Home Depot has the same quirk and the tips might work there too if using their install services. I didn't check because I had a Lowe's Gift Card and bad memories from more than a dozen years ago with a storm door that I was never satisfied with but was too young back then to actually get it taken care of. It literally fell off the house a couple of weeks ago which brings me to this saga.

QUIRK:

First, the sales tax quirk. For some reason if you get the installation and the door on the same sales ticket their system won't charge sales tax on the door. I went with something real basic (fiberglass) costing only $170 but since there was no tax on labor the system didn't charge tax on the hardware either. The associate knew this and used it as a selling point.

TIP ONE: Tax Credit

As I said above follow the link to the .gov website for the details and instructions for the 30% credit. This is only on the door itself and not the installation fees. That's only $51 for me but still I'll take it. You can go crazy and spend a lot more. I plan on replacing my storm door soon and that's where I'm going to invest my money as far as features.

TIP ONE: Military Discount

I didn't know about this discount being year round but next time I'm in I'm going to see if I can get that $17 back .

TIP TWO: Haul-away

The standard install fee is $250 but good luck with that depending on the dumping rules in your county. My fee actually shot up to $390 partly because of trim work and the blasted left over parts of the storm door.

But, I pressed on the price when I went in to pay the balance and get the door ordered. Here in Charlotte there is a $40 dump fee for the old door if the installer hauls it away. The haul-away is included in the install fee but if the county charges a dump fee then that's passed on.

Here in Charlotte there is no dump fee for residential customers using curbside pickup. We have a cool website that we can go to to request the pickup. You put in your address and select "door" and the site schedules it and tells you when to take it to the street.

Savings: $40

TIP THREE: I hate wood

This is just a personal preference. Wood doors look great and all but this door from circa 1989 just didn't hold up all that great. I'm talking warping and some mysterious damage to the bottom that caused rotting. All of this has caused drafts which I tried to cover up with the storm door which I know was just being lazy. Ends up the storm door had a wood core, it rotted and the bottom literally fell out.

I went with fiberglass instead of steel because the sun bakes this side of the house and it shouldn't dent. When I replace the storm door I will do it with one that doesn't have any wood inside.

SAVINGS CONCLUSION

OK, so the total looked something like this:

Door: $170
Standard Labor: $250
Dump Fee: $40
Extra Labor: $100

Total: $560

Savings:

About $13 in sales tax not charged on the door
$51 in tax credits
$40 in removing the dump fee
$17 in military discount

Not counting the tax that wasn't charged to begin with, that's a $57 immediate savings for a total installed price of $503.

Total cost after tax credit: $452 installed.

Considering the drafts coming through, I hope to recoup the total cost within a couple/few years in reduced heating costs and of course enjoy the benefit of proper insulation.

This door includes a replacement frame (pre-hung) and I wanted it professionally done and backed by a major retailer who I trusted to make it right instead of using friends or a contractor.

The next adventure will be the install itself and then painting. Once painted it will have a lifetime warranty from the manufacture and a one year on the install backed by Lowe's. THIS TIME I'll make sure it's right and if not get it fixed instead of stewing!

I hope someone finds this helpful and remember the deadline for the federal tax credit if you need windows or doors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina