Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

717 posts, read 2,810,277 times

Advertisements

Currently, my daughter is planning to major in education. She wants to visit some schools in North Carolina and we need some insight into colleges & universities which might be a good fit for her.

She & I are planning a trip to NC the week of August 15th so that she can visit some schools. We lived in Raleigh for a short time back in 2004. I seem to remember someone suggesting Appalachian as a good school for education back then.

We have been doing research on our end, but research doesn't give the insight that locals can as far as which schools the residents of NC favor for certain degrees, campus life, etc.

My daughter is a very good student--will graduate in the top 2% of her class--700+ students. She is taking all AP classes and will probably enter college with enough credits to already be a sophomore if everything is accepted. She is fun & outgoing--but not a party person. She takes her education and her job seriously and is very responsible. She is not interested in an all-girl school. She doesn't want a really small school--nor does she want a huge school. She does have her own car for transportation.

My concern is that if she decides to change her major, she be at a school where she could easily do this without having to change colleges. If this change were to occur, I could see where she might consider social work or business. She is very good at math and will have 4 years of German.

Any recommendations would be most welcome....and thanks a million!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM

983 posts, read 3,989,806 times
Appalachian, East Carolina, Campbell, UNC-Greensboro....all excellent schools for teachers.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Currently, my daughter is planning to major in education. She wants to visit some schools in North Carolina and we need some insight into colleges & universities which might be a good fit for her.

She & I are planning a trip to NC the week of August 15th so that she can visit some schools. We lived in Raleigh for a short time back in 2004. I seem to remember someone suggesting Appalachian as a good school for education back then.

We have been doing research on our end, but research doesn't give the insight that locals can as far as which schools the residents of NC favor for certain degrees, campus life, etc.

My daughter is a very good student--will graduate in the top 2% of her class--700+ students. She is taking all AP classes and will probably enter college with enough credits to already be a sophomore if everything is accepted. She is fun & outgoing--but not a party person. She takes her education and her job seriously and is very responsible. She is not interested in an all-girl school. She doesn't want a really small school--nor does she want a huge school. She does have her own car for transportation.

My concern is that if she decides to change her major, she be at a school where she could easily do this without having to change colleges. If this change were to occur, I could see where she might consider social work or business. She is very good at math and will have 4 years of German.

Honestly, I'd save your time and money and go straight to Appalachian State

That's really the best place for an teaching degree. Plus, it's not too big, not too small

Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,162,651 times
I agree App St. is a great school for education. Yes, I'm biased, but I should also mention that UNC-Chapel Hill has an excellent education dept., recently ranked in the top 15% of education schools across the country. It would also be a good place if your daughter changes her major, as their schools of social work and business are among the best in the country. Of course, it is much larger than App St., but I think it's worth a visit. I'm sure your daughter will fall in love with the campus once she sees it.

I can also add that App St. is a very popular school, and everyone I know who went there loved it. I don't think she would go wrong either way.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,894 times
East Carolina University (ECU) is renown for it's teaching, medical, and music programs. It'd be easy to go from teaching to music there.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
East Carolina University (ECU) is renown for it's teaching, medical, and music programs. It'd be easy to go from teaching to music there.
But the OP said her daughter is NOT a party person!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,266,837 times
My vote is for East Carolina. They began as a Teaching school. Their program is huge and very well known. Plus the tuition is less than Chapel Hill.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:00 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,266,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But the OP said her daughter is NOT a party person!
Such a bad stereotype

Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post

Why not look at your home state's colleges and universities: Out-of-state tuition is approx $22,000 / year

Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 PM

451 posts, read 1,566,141 times
Appalachian started out as a teachers college. If she would teach math, it would be easier to get a job. Math & Science teachers are more in demand than other subjects. I think knowing German may be a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina