Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM

607 posts, read 2,432,240 times

Advertisements

Hey does anyone know about this river??
I was going to Fayetteville to the commisary, and I passed the river, I guess in Angier. It looked awesome. Can you float down it??? Is it a river people play in??? I didn't see one soul in it and it looked so inviting to me.

Please advise.

Hot and ready to float,

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,991 times
Was'nt that river in the movie Cape Fear? What an awesome flick!!!!!!!!!!!Loved it!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM

709 posts, read 936,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Hey does anyone know about this river??
I was going to Fayetteville to the commisary, and I passed the river, I guess in Angier. It looked awesome. Can you float down it??? Is it a river people play in??? I didn't see one soul in it and it looked so inviting to me.

Please advise.

Hot and ready to float,

Liz

This is the south snakes and nasty things in the hot 90 degree river. Then there is nasty hog waste runoff further down the river past wilson.

No I would not put my rear end in an inner tube and float down the cape fear!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 30,535 times
i want to know the answer as much as you do liz. i pass that river a lot .. it even goes down to my friend housee. i want to get into a boat and float down to my friends house but dont know if its possible or allowed

Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Was'nt that river in the movie Cape Fear? What an awesome flick!!!!!!!!!!!Loved it!
The 1962 film used GA & CA locations. The 1991 remake used FL and GA.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-22-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM

983 posts, read 3,989,806 times
Boating is definitely allowed. But not only is it too dirty to swim in, it's dangerous.....trees, currents, last of population along the river front to help someone in trouble, remoteness of the riverfront in alot of places.

Oh, look up Gar fish.....they're scary looking! And they live in the river!

I'd love to boat down the river from Fayetteville to Wilmington!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM

836 posts, read 3,471,317 times
Not to mention, when you get closer to WIlmington, on the NE Cape Fear, there are alligators!

We used to have a place on the NE Cape Fear, near Burgaw. It is a beatiful river, with lots of trees and spanish moss. But it is a very dark river with lots of tannic acid in it from the trees, I think, which is what makes it dark. We used to water ski in it, but i was always scared when I fell. It is a pretty river to canoe though.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,152,226 times
If you want to float, try the Eno. Wafting the Eno River

Or this group has one canoe trip on the Cape Fear and many options on the Neuse: Kayak and Canoe Rental, Instruction, and Guide Service

Here's a state park on the Cape Fear: Division of Parks and Recreation--Raven Rock State Park, Things to do (http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/raro/do.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,545,693 times
I didnt catch how you would "float" down the river but you might want to read about the history and how the river is being used today and how do you plan to get back to your starting point once you are done. You will also need to take in consideration will you be setting off or getting out on public land or private restricted land.
Also keep in mind there are locks and dams along this river.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,189 times
Default Cape Fear

I happened upon this conversation and signed up so I could reply. I grew up near Black River (the river one man spoke about as 'dark'). I swam in it as a child. Even though the water is a dark color, it is still the cleanest river in North Carolina, I'm told. It flows into the Cape Fear and the Cape Fear into the Atlantic Ocean. Floating down that river sounds wonderful to me, but it's been many years since I check it out from up close.
I have such fond memories of it that I have set my third mystery novel, Hell Swamp, along the river. (There really is a Hell Swamp, by the way.) My fourth novel will be set where the Cape Fear converges with the Intracoastal Waterway below Wilmington.
Yes, Cape Fear, the movie was awesome! And yes! I've seen alligators near the downtown waterfront. Perhaps fodder for another mystery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina