Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 11,757 times

Advertisements

I live in Fayetteville and I would love to float the Cape Fear River down to Wilmington. I'm from Missouri (the Ozarks) and we floated a canoe down every river that had enough water in it. So what I'm saying is...I would gladly float it, regardless of it's cleanliness, tannins, obstructions (trees, rocks), Dams (just portage..no biggy)...anything really, no matter.
I guess some questions are: Is there any official public access to the river? Are there any legal restrictions? Permit (surely not)? Canoe tag (surely not)?
Floating all the way to Wilmington could simplify finding a place to shuttle the downstream pickup truck. Perhaps a State Park along the river to leave a vehicle for a night or two (e.g. Fishing access).
All this assumes that there are places to camp between Fayetteville and Wilmington. In Missouri, we just pulled over to the nearest, prettiest gravel bar and pitched a tent. I can't imagine what you would do here, in a "coastal plain" (sandy, dirt banks) where possibly the only place to camp is in somebody's field. Are there sand bars in the river worthy of pitching a tent or spreading out a sleeping bag?
I've looked around on the internet for info on this subject and haven't found much. Surely there are people that float this river. I could understand there being more interest in floating further upstream, where the river is narrower, but floating from Fayetteville all the way to the sea at Wilmington just seems like it would be adventurous. I've heard about the Dams, with the locks...would love to check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:51 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
People go down "sections." You've got a couple of locks to encounter, and you have to contact them ahead of time in order for them to open the locks for you to pass though.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 11,580 times
I grew up going fishing,camping and boating at the cape fear river.The snakes are bad i have seen some very large weird looking snakes and if u stumple on a bed of them in the water they will chase you...and there is catfish in there big enough to swallow someone whole.....I have never seen an alligator but that doesnt mean there isnt any because it would be perfect habitat for alligators....I wouldnt recomend floating in the river..i would say atleat a fishing boat and bring a gun!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
There is a canoe rental here in Lillington next to Howard's BBQ....

Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesaccasey View Post
I grew up going fishing,camping and boating at the cape fear river.The snakes are bad i have seen some very large weird looking snakes and if u stumple on a bed of them in the water they will chase you...and there is catfish in there big enough to swallow someone whole.....I have never seen an alligator but that doesnt mean there isnt any because it would be perfect habitat for alligators....I wouldnt recomend floating in the river..i would say atleat a fishing boat and bring a gun!
Well you certainly don't sound like someone who grew up fishing, camping, and boating. Snakes will chase you? Not gonna happen. The snakes you'll see in eastern NC rivers are typically cottonmouths and water snakes (which look much like cottonmouths). And although they will defend themselves, neither species is aggressive. They are normally skittish of people and will usually slither away before you even see them. And yes, we have large catfish in NC, but when was the last time you saw a news account of someone being "swallowed whole", or even bitten for that matter? That's because catfish don't attack people!

I would heartily recommend spending time on any of NC's eastern rivers. Many years ago while in college I did a 9-day canoe trip down the Lumber River from Scotland County to Georgetown, SC. It was one of the most intense and memorable experiences of my life. I've done many shorter trips as well. Hard to beat being on the water.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Well you certainly don't sound like someone who grew up fishing, camping, and boating. Snakes will chase you? Not gonna happen. The snakes you'll see in eastern NC rivers are typically cottonmouths and water snakes (which look much like cottonmouths). And although they will defend themselves, neither species is aggressive. They are normally skittish of people and will usually slither away before you even see them.
i disagree. i can think of several different occasions in the swamp where water moccasins have come over to "check me out" and see what i was doing. i have even had one try and climb in the boat with me. i don't care what anybody says, they are far more aggressive than gators, or most snakes.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i disagree. i can think of several different occasions in the swamp where water moccasins have come over to "check me out" and see what i was doing. i have even had one try and climb in the boat with me. i don't care what anybody says, they are far more aggressive than gators, or most snakes.

Well, I can't argue with your personal experience since I wasn't there. But just about any reputable source will tell you water moccasins aren't that aggressive. As I said, they will defend themselves, but they rarely bite unless they are stepped on or feel threatened. I've encountered many water moccasins, and I've never seen them act aggressively unless directly threatened. The larger ones aren't as skittish, and will tend to try to remain still and go unnoticed rather than slip away. If you get too close they will display aggressive behavior (typically opening their mouths in a strike position). But even then they will try to escape if possible (in my experience).

Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 11,511 times
Wow...I take my dogs to swim in the cape fear all the time here in fayetteville, nc. It would be cool, makes me kinda nervous with my dogs though but then again, I've got 2 130+ pound presa canarios and they've brought down 200 pound feral hogs before so if they came across a smaller gator then it would be interesting...oh and water moccasins can be very aggresive/curious...they will follow/chase you off especially in the water from personal experiences.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
I don't think gators come up that north. I've only seen them around Wilmington south. There and in Frisco on Hatteras

Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I don't think gators come up that north. I've only seen them around Wilmington south. There and in Frisco on Hatteras
I know of 2 in Robeson County--one in St. Pauls, and one in Lumber Bridge. There was 1 in Hope Mills Lake last year, and one in Fayetteville off of Cliffdale, so they are definitely in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina