Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 16,073 times

Advertisements

Hey, my fiance and I may be moving to Fayetteville in a couple of weeks. If his job transfers us we will need a place by the 2nd week of August. We are looking to rent a small home lets say around 600 or cheaper...if utilities are included then we would be fine to pay quite a bit more.
We are looking for a safe neighborhood or a nice neighboring town.. We will be working at ATT, so about 20 minutes away from Fayetteville (Owen Drive) would be nice, say about 20 minutes east, so we are a lil closer to the coast. Myrtle is about a 2 hour drive, right?
Any nice places to go? I'm not big on night life or shopping.. we are big on things to do outside..trails, lakes, etc
I've read 1000 forums on here already and it looks like there are quite a few places we need to avoid. We are from a very small town in the mountains, so if you know of any place that is nice and pretty outside let us know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,960 times
If I were in your shoes, I would steer clear of Fayetteville.

I had the unfortunate experience of growing up in that disgusting city.

There are some decent neighborhoods in Fayetteville, but most of those places are for people who have high-paying jobs.

My family still lives in Fayetteville and everytime I go there to visit, I get depressed. There is absolutely nothing appealing about the city, NOTHING.

There is a real estate agent on here who lives in Fayetteville and will tell you to ingnore my comments.

Just remember that the real estate agent doesn't want everybody to get a bad feeling about Fayetteville because if they do and decide to move somewhere else, the real estate agent will not be able to sell any houses/property...

FAYETTEVILLE STINKS. STAY OUT OF THERE.

Don't come back on here in a few months complaining about FAY.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
I'm not a real estate agent and I agree with him. Been here my entire life--39 years. Not a THING wrong with living in Fayetteville....you can find plenty to do if you bother to look. The city has its bad areas just as any other city.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 AM

Default Let me explain...

I am from Wise, VA. The biggest thing we have here is a Walmart... the closest mall, nice restaurant or bar is over an hour away. The only nice thing here to do is hike in the mountains or swim in a dam which you can only enjoy 2 or 3 months out of the whole year thanks to seasonal laws. Did I mention there is nothing here besides Walmart and everyone in every house for miles sits on their butt, receives a check and snorts pills...
We have visited Fayetteville twice recently.. and we only plan on staying there 2 to 3 years. Basically long enough for me to finish college and then we will get his job to transfer us somewhere else...
Can I get some more input please

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
I guess heeha means me. I like this area and chose to move back to the area (Grays Creek specifically; outside the city) There is plenty to do if you seek it out and get involved.

But finding a nice place in a decent neighborhood will be hard for $600. Rental prices are driven by our military market and reflect BAH rates.

My family and I did stay in a decent apartment for a year while our house was being built. It was "Cliffs of Rockfish" and we paid $650. It was a small 2 bedroom 2 bath. This was last year and they are probably at $700 now.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,331 times
Default Fayetteville is what you make it

Bottom line is, Fayetteville is bad place to live overall. There are some nice neighborhoods/sections of the city, but you will pay over $200K for a small house, even more if you are looking for a good house, good schools. There are places I would not leave my worst enemy in. Traffic is horrendous, Skibo has got to be in the top 10 of the worst roads in the United States.

My first day visit I saw two different devastating wrecks, both vehicles hit so hard, engines were lying on the ground. Then a vehicle caught fire...so on.

What do you expect from a town that gets alot of $$$$ from FT Bragg, Soldiers run back and forth on deployment and throw $$$ when they return, strip joints, beer joints, drugs, PTSD, etc. BUT with that said, there are some (not much) nice places, you just have to dig around and ask folks that are from here. And I AM NOT SAYING SOLDIERS ARE BAD. But there are some bad apples out there.

If you willing to pay money and don't mind bad drivers(not sure if it's the locals or implants)and long drives , then live in places like Haymount or Eastover, Inverness, King's Grant or Linden.

If are willing to wear a bullet proof vest and have a dump of a car you don't mind getting beat up, wrecked, or keyed, then you should live in Fayett'Nam (as most folks around here call it).

Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local yocol View Post

If are willing to wear a bullet proof vest and have a dump of a car you don't mind getting beat up, wrecked, or keyed, then you should live in Fayett'Nam (as most folks around here call it).

I've been here all of my life...have never been shot, drive new cars (we have '05, '07, and '09 vehicles), cars..they've never been wrecked (not even on Skibo), or keyed--have had the doors hit a couple of times by other cars, but it didn't happen in Fayetteville.....

And MOST of us do NOT call it Fayettenam!

It's NOT a nasty skanky town as you've tried to make it out to be. You can find culture, and nice activities to do if you bother to look for them, and you don't even have to look too terribly hard if you can read the newspaper!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM

558 posts, read 818,986 times
If you take a look at google maps you'll see that there are three main highways leaving Fayetteville to the east: 87, 53 and 24. If you look for a place east of I-95 (even in the neighboring counties) within a few minutes of any of those highways you'll have no problem finding something decent around your price range while remaining within a 20-30 minute commute to Owen Dr. These are rural to semi-rural areas with few newer homes for rent. Most likely you'll end up with an older home, mobile home or double wide. The neighborhoods vary mile to mile so you'll have to view the homes for rent and drive around to get a feel for the areas.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Traffic can be bad but it is a matter of perspective, depends what you are used to. Traffic is not DC beltway bad. Ft Bragg has more personnel than any other army post in the world so in the morning and afternoon traffic will be heavy. The road network in the city had not kept up with demand due to a lack of planning and state highway funds.

That is about all I agree with in Local Yokol's post.

Home prices are pretty reasonable for what you get. Plus, our house prices have held steady over the past couple of years. You DON'T have to spend over 200k for a decent house. We have several new subdivisions being built in the 150-175K range.

Finding activities other than beer joints and strip clubs is not too hard if you have the desire.

Lots of people have come here against their will (military and dependents) and choose to only focus of the bad side of the Fayetteville region.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM

We've been looking for a place to rent on craigslist...
Any roads in particular we need to stay away from??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina