Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 AM

33 posts, read 99,669 times

Advertisements

I am looking at the area of Raeford, NC. Our plan A might not be working out and I have a job in Pinehurst, NC. It's very expensive to live in Pinehurst for one, and my husband is looking at applying for an EMS position at Fort Bragg/Fayetteville. I've noticed that Fayetteville isn't very nice, so we'd prefer to live outside of it. I will also be attending UNC Pembroke next year if possible. Raeford seems to be a middle point for all these locations. If anybody can tell me a bit about Raeford, I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,162,651 times
Raeford is a small town. That pretty much sums up everything good and everything bad about it.

Seriously, there's not much happening there, but it's very close to Fayetteville and Southern Pines/Pinehurst so you have reasonably good shopping/entertainment options nearby. Raeford has a lot of potential as an up and coming area with the expansion of Ft. Bragg and the growth of Fayetteville.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I've never been a fan of small towns, but if that's going to be my best option, I guess I'll take it. Is there anything to do in Raeford? Like a movie theater, good walking trails, things like that? Or will we have to go to Fayetteville? Is fayetteville as bad as I hear it is?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM

983 posts, read 3,989,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreckner86 View Post
I've never been a fan of small towns, but if that's going to be my best option, I guess I'll take it. Is there anything to do in Raeford? Like a movie theater, good walking trails, things like that? Or will we have to go to Fayetteville? Is fayetteville as bad as I hear it is?
No, Fayetteville is NOT as bad as you hear it is!!! For movies, you'd have to go to Laurinburg or Fayetteville or Lumberton. Raeford is VERY small town. They are getting a new Super Walmart, and that's about the biggest thing in Raeford besides the turkey processing plant!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Oh man. :-) I've lived in bigger towns all my life. My husband likes the small town thing...he would love to live somewhere more rural. Honestly though, I'd love to build a house in a country setting and live there forever. So, maybe this will be do-able. Is Raeford clean?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,988,065 times
What do you mean by clean? Like most small towns nowdays the actual downtown area is a bit depressed with lots of older underutilized buildings. The Raeford road area between Fayetteville and Raeford is growing with lots of nice subdivisions and shopping.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM

I guess what I mean by clean is well maintained...nice landscaping, not trashy looking...things like that. I hate when you go to smaller towns and it's all overgrown looking, trash is everywhere, and everything just looks dirty.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,988,065 times
Check out Google street view.... You can look around the whole town.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 AM

Thank you very much. :-) My husband and I are considering going to Raeford and looking at some rental houses next weekend. I think we're just going to do it and see what happens. We've both agreed that this would be the best option for us since he'll have lots of job opportunities and I'll be closer to my work as well as close to UNC-Pembroke. Thank you very much!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 AM

177 posts, read 972,104 times
I lived in Raeford for three years and would not want to move back. I would look at living in Southern Pines or Aberdeen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina