Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,231 times

Advertisements

I do not know if this is the right place to post this but anyways. So I have two roommates. They are couple, the girl is ok and I have no problems with her but the boy I just can't stand him. He is a clean freak or at least acts like a clean freak. He is always boasting about how he used to clean every nook and corners of his room and how he does this and that. I have no problem with it. I have never really liked him but my respect for him went way down when he mistreated his girl's mother. I just don't talk to him or the girl that much now.
So the problem is I clean the kitchen every week and when I clean it I always scrub the sink and clean the stovetop. But on sunday there was a note on fridge saying that when I clean the kitchen please clean fan, cupboards and most important sink and stove. So I was just mad and I have not replied to his note yet. But I am thinking about replying.
Am I wrong to be angry? Should I reply to his note? What should I do?
Please help. I do not want to be rude but this is just making me so angry.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,512,355 times
I'd tell him that if doesn't like the way I clean then he can do it full time. And I'd tell him directly and not with a post-it note.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,534,476 times
Haha! He left you a chore list. I'd tell him to kiss my fat ass.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,231 times
Thank you so much. I was so confused. I hate to be rude but I will follow your advice.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,414,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyau View Post
I do not know if this is the right place to post this but anyways. So I have two roommates. They are couple, the girl is ok and I have no problems with her but the boy I just can't stand him. He is a clean freak or at least acts like a clean freak. He is always boasting about how he used to clean every nook and corners of his room and how he does this and that. I have no problem with it. I have never really liked him but my respect for him went way down when he mistreated his girl's mother. I just don't talk to him or the girl that much now.
So the problem is I clean the kitchen every week and when I clean it I always scrub the sink and clean the stovetop. But on sunday there was a note on fridge saying that when I clean the kitchen please clean fan, cupboards and most important sink and stove. So I was just mad and I have not replied to his note yet. But I am thinking about replying.
Am I wrong to be angry? Should I reply to his note? What should I do?
Please help. I do not want to be rude but this is just making me so angry.
I think you should reply, but respectfully and certainly not in note form. One of my biggest pet peeves is people leaving me notes to tell me their problems with me. I had a room mate (which lasted about 2 weeks) my freshman year who did this. I find the entire practice of leaving notes about things like that to be highly passive aggressive and have found that if not dealt with directly, promptly and face to face the problem tends to grow.

My advice would be, to be respectful, and direct in order to assess the situation properly. It is better to find the underlying issues quickly and assess what needs to be done sooner rather then getting into games and waiting for the situation to deteriorate.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 AM

18,271 posts, read 14,468,398 times
Yeah, tell him that if he wants a maid, to pay one. And also mention that you're not looking to be a maid any time in the future, and certainly not his!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,941,802 times
Normally I would suggest that you shove his note right up his ass !

However, it's not a good idea to fall out with your roommates.
So, I suggest that you either ignore the note completely, and carry on cleaning the way you have been, or that perhaps you need to have a little talk to clear the air.

A little compromise goes a long way.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,760,012 times
Make a big messy meal, then don't clean it up. Then see if he leaves a note about it.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:47 AM

45,577 posts, read 60,888,863 times
He sounds like he has a touch of OCD.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,695,670 times
I'd be ticked off too if someone left me a note like that. Unfortunately, you can't tell him to stick it because you have to live with him and that would only intensify the negative feelings in the house. I'd suggest you calmly tell him that you will continue to clean the kitchen the way you wish, but if he'd like to do additional cleaning he should feel free to do so. Best wishes!

On the brighter side, the good points to this are:
Years from now it will make a great story!
You aren't married to this wack job.
Roomates aren't forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships