Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty large family but my husband's side is down to 1. We always have a big family party and some gave small gifts, some gave larger items - I would give my nephews and nieces gift cards to the movies or Starbucks (they now range in age from 19 to 25) - I would give the adults a gift card to a restaurant they liked and it seemed like everyone appreciated it.

If I did a family gift (one item to each family), it was like a popcorn maker or something that could be shared by everyone.

It's getting harder to get together each year but I don't want the tradition to end - any ideas? Adopting a family to help throughout the year instead? Every group could take a month and videotape it - does that sound corny?

The others have decided on "no gifts" this year. A couple of the families do quite well so it's not the money. I'm probably one of the ones that struggle but I always thought it was fun.

Anyone been through this? (Not trying to create tension - just trying to go with the flow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
We pretty much just draw names. With 20-odd family members on my side, it was just getting insane--not to mention expensive.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I have a pretty large family but my husband's side is down to 1. We always have a big family party and some gave small gifts, some gave larger items - I would give my nephews and nieces gift cards to the movies or Starbucks (they now range in age from 19 to 25) - I would give the adults a gift card to a restaurant they liked and it seemed like everyone appreciated it.

If I did a family gift (one item to each family), it was like a popcorn maker or something that could be shared by everyone.

It's getting harder to get together each year but I don't want the tradition to end - any ideas? Adopting a family to help throughout the year instead? Every group could take a month and videotape it - does that sound corny?

The others have decided on "no gifts" this year. A couple of the families do quite well so it's not the money. I'm probably one of the ones that struggle but I always thought it was fun.

Anyone been through this? (Not trying to create tension - just trying to go with the flow).
A few years ago we started giving chickens and pigs to needy families in Africa through World Vision. Each pig or chicken was given in one person's name and they got a card telling about the family the livestock was going to We all agreed none of us really "need" anything at this stage of our lives.

http://www.worldvision.org/content.n...e/ways-to-give

Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I really really really have all I need.

Every once in a while I catch myself, and I realize that I'm one of the worlds most luckiest persons.

I wish that for everyone.

I'll be donating this yr to our local charities.

Maybe they will someday by one of the "most luckiest" persons.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I really really really have all I need.

Every once in a while I catch myself, and I realize that I'm one of the worlds most luckiest persons.

I wish that for everyone.

I'll be donating this yr to our local charities.

Maybe they will someday by one of the "most luckiest" persons.
I feel that way much of the time. This year my 19 yr old son told me he was having trouble making a christmas list (at the request of his grandma) because he didn't really want or need anything. I was so proud of him for realizing that.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I feel that way much of the time. This year my 19 yr old son told me he was having trouble making a christmas list (at the request of his grandma) because he didn't really want or need anything. I was so proud of him for realizing that.
LOL, that is really cool.

I was just telling the SO that I really don't need anything. I wish you and your son the best.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

We do the kids and then we draw names for one adult in the family. Even so, there are other people we have to buy for. I know it's kind of sad to stop giving gifts to everyone, but it really can get out of hand. You can still get together and not give gifts, though. The tradition doesn't have to end over that. I really like the idea of giving to charities, etc., but I'm afraid that that just might not go over with everyone in our family (sad thought, I know ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's really nice to hear. Really.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I don't know what to get anybody either. Throughout the year, if anybody needs or wants anything, we just go out and get it. Nobody waits for anybody to buy ot for them for Christmas. So, I guess I'll be giving everybody that most treasured gift of all .............. MONEY!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Is that what you are getting me for Christmas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't know what to get anybody either. Throughout the year, if anybody needs or wants anything, we just go out and get it. Nobody waits for anybody to buy ot for them for Christmas. So, I guess I'll be giving everybody that most treasured gift of all .............. MONEY!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

Didn't you know that I was you long lost cousin.

Give me some money now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships