Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 09:50 AM

4,190 posts, read 3,405,823 times

Advertisements

I'm somewhat reserved about myself. Does that make me mysterious?

But while I like to hear what other people have to say, I'm not fond of the yap yap yap type, which doesn't even permit questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 01:53 PM

475 posts, read 407,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I heard a good one the other day :

I am a quiet person and I
don't have many friends.

I'm pretty sure If I talked
I'd have even fewer.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-22-2024, 03:25 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,388 times
I'm one of the silent types. It's mostly a trust issue. It takes a lot of trust for me to confide anything about myself to someone.

One thing I will say about my ilk: if we share something about ourselves out of the blue, try to be as good a listener as we've always been to you. Most of the time, when I finally feel comfortable enough to share something, the other person says "that's nice" and goes right on talking about themselves. It's a disappointing feeling, like, "I don't know why I bothered."

Old 01-23-2024, 10:24 AM

1,093 posts, read 582,324 times
I have always been noted as the quiet type. I had extreme social anxiety growing up, though nobody understood that (not even me), and so I got a lot of extra attention which just made me more self-conscious and led me to being a very introverted adult.

Throughout my adult life, I've tried various ways of meeting new people but my lingering social anxiety tends to hold me back, in addition to the fact that I rarely come across people who like to talk about the same things I do. On the somewhat rare occasions I find people with common interests, I can talk as much as anybody else. In fact, a year ago I did a solo vacation with a dozen strangers and nobody once commented on how quiet I was, because with that particular group I wasn't.

In the end, people are always going to judge others who behave differently. It would be better if the people judging could do so in silence, and if the people being judged could learn not to take it so personally, but it tends not to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships