Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 10:34 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,416,106 times

Advertisements

About 10 years ago, I had a friend who was the same. She said she was either bi-polar or borderline, I can’t remember which one, and suffered from depression. She would call me about 4 or 5 times a week, and she would talk very fast, nonstop about herself. The longest I let her go on was 4 hours. When she finally came up for a breath during our marathon phone calls and ask me how I was doing, I found she either wasn’t listening, talking to someone else while I was talking, or right after I started talking she would say someone was on the other line and she had to go. I think our phone calls were free therapy for her.

She didn’t have friends, estranged from family, couldn’t stay in a relationship or keep a job to save her life. She was just a very unhappy person.

She never called me on my birthday to wish me happy birthday. I, on the other hand, called her every year on her birthday until one year, I said screw it I’m not calling her. She called the day after her birthday to tell me it was her birthday, fishing for a birthday wish. When my birthday came after that, she called me but not to wish me a happy birthday but to what…talk about herself. When I saw where the call was going I ended it.

I had to set boundaries. I told her not to call after 10pm, and not to call me when I’m on vacation. And of course, she tested those boundaries and called anyway. I didn’t answer and she got the message after that.

I ended our “friendship”. She went to some seriously dark places (breaking up a marriage/family, setting up an ex and current boyfriend to meet so they can fight over her, etc), where I felt I couldn’t support her anymore.

Last edited by jaynaydee; 10-23-2023 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 11:48 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,123,782 times
First of all, just because a person may be insensitive, thoughtless or rude in their communication, does not mean that they are a narcissist. A narcissist is very complex, often takes time to even be diagnosed as one.

I also have a friend that rattles on and on and nobody else can ever get a word in... but she isn't a narcissist.

As for the changing, of course it's possible to change, but a narcissist would have to recognize behavioral problems themselves and seek therapy. The behavioral patterns are usually brought on as a defense mechanism to protect them from reality. Psychological lying; pathological lying, anything to boost their own self esteem. They have to be the center of attention at all times and they will talk above other people having conversations. They will boast and brag non stop. They often "primp" forever, so they will always look as perfect as they can. It's usually very sad because obviously they were neglected or even abused in their childhood, resulting in the bad personality traits.

You mentioned trying to "change" your friend. You should never try to change anyone to fit your needs, nor should you expect change from them. If you feel you need to change someone, then it isn't a good match for you and will only waste your time and theirs. If it maddens you to listen to her non stop verbage, that will only get worse. If something works it works, but if it doesn't, don't force it, just move on.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:33 PM

102,403 posts, read 108,748,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
it isn't a good match for you
This sums it up, OP. You can't "fix" this. She's just not the type of friend you're looking for.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:56 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,115,463 times
You are not related to her and don't owe her anything. Is she your only option as a friend? Your personalities don't match.

I am not sure why you are even asking us, you are clearly not interested in being her friend. Find one that has the qualities you are looking for.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:56 PM

23,623 posts, read 19,433,432 times
Two comments:

Self-awareness goes both ways.

The label of narcissism gets attached much too often.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-23-2023 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-23-2023, 05:37 PM

16,463 posts, read 12,660,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
true, that one-sided nature does get old fast.
All the comments, and this is the one you reply to? It seems to me like you’re just looking for people to agree with you.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:38 PM

4,422 posts, read 3,512,765 times
I wish we would stop diagnosing people as narcissistic, even if they are very self focused.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:14 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,586,931 times
With psychiatric information now available to the masses the tendency to diagnosis people has become a common occurrence.

But there are multiple factors to consider and even observation over many years to be able to correctly diagnose. They are not as common as people believe they are and a true personality disorder causes enough dysfunction that people who suffer them have very unstable and unhappy work and life histories. Generally they aren't your run-of-the-mill folks we all find difficult to deal with. And self-diagnoses are notoriously erroneously high.

A much-preferred method of describing problematic people in your life is by saying they have some narcissistic characteristics. It would be good if even professionals used this method to describe young patients since so many times a diagnosis changes over time as more information is gathered.

Using that reasoning people with unpleasant habits of interaction can often change through experiencing consequences of dysfunctional behavior.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,722,566 times
Hello, I have been thinking of your comments, and of my own feeligns about situation.
I think I may be somewhat self-involved here, and also over-thinking the situation.
I have decided to leave it be. It is one-sided , but my other relationships are all mutually satisfying, and so it won't kill me to have one that is one-sided. Also she has told me I am her only friend. Also I value kindness.
so - for now - at least, I will let it be,

thank you!
for your time and your thoughts.

ellen

Old 10-24-2023, 09:48 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,586,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Hello, I have been thinking of your comments, and of my own feeligns about situation.
I think I may be somewhat self-involved here, and also over-thinking the situation.
I have decided to leave it be. It is one-sided , but my other relationships are all mutually satisfying, and so it won't kill me to have one that is one-sided. Also she has told me I am her only friend. Also I value kindness.
so - for now - at least, I will let it be,

thank you!
for your time and your thoughts.

ellen
Those are generous thoughts, ellen. Keep attuned to your boundaries and your feelings to assure you don't "overgive." If this person is working on new behavior she will improve, if not things will generally deteriorate without you needing to set a direction.

If setting and holding boundaries is a new behavior for you it is expected you'll overthink. It's sometimes a confusing process, that becomes more natural with practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships