Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 12:02 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you've already handled it, or have a good idea of how to handle this in the future. So the core problem that remains is that you feel guilty about saying no to things like this, because you're retired and they're not. You need to break yourself of this thought. When you start feeling this way, tell yourself some affirmations. These are my suggestions, but make it your own thoughts:

1) I already do a lot for this congregation. (Music directing is a LOT of work.)
2) I put my time in the working world and I have earned the right to be retired.
3) I am in introvert, which means I require more time to recharge than the others.
4) I cannot give my best work and my best thinking to these projects if I don't get that time to recharge. This is basic self-care, and I'm worth it.
5) Someone on the committee is probably going to judge me. But judgmental people are going to do that no matter what I do. I can only take care of my own thoughts and actions.

Keep in mind that those people on the committee who are extroverts, who have full-time jobs and health problems and still show up at every meeting, may actually thrive on the meetings. Their version of self-care is to be around people as often as possible. You can't compare yourself to that, because your needs as an introvert are totally different.

I remember that you had a health scare of your own a couple of years ago. Stress is not good for that. There's another reason why you should not feel guilty about refusing to over-extend yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 06:53 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times
If being polite doesn't work, it is okay to be brutally honest.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:43 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
"No" is the most powerful word in the English language.

Learn to use it.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:47 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
To avoid the risk of imminent manslaughter, I hereby tender my withdrawal from the ministry.

Old 10-02-2023, 02:06 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
To avoid the risk of imminent manslaughter, I hereby tender my withdrawal from the ministry.
"To avoid the risk of imminent manslaughter" is not nice, but it's funny.

The 2nd part of your statement would suffice.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:53 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
Just tell them you are stoked about doing your part but that's all. There's no reason you can't contribute if you wish without going through the torture of meetings you have no interest in or say about. You have a lot more patience than I. I tell people right up front I'm here to help, not stand around.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
"No" is the most powerful word in the English language.

Learn to use it.
And "NO" is the most freeing word too, if you become strong enough to use it.

I kid that I am "the woman of NO" because I say no all day long at work to sales reps, customers asking for something special and donation seekers among others.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:39 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
And "NO" is the most freeing word too, if you become strong enough to use it.

I kid that I am "the woman of NO" because I say no all day long at work to sales reps, customers asking for something special and donation seekers among others.

Same here. I have no trouble with No. I admit, it took work to learn this, but well worth the effort.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:21 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Stop trying to prove yourself to others and impress other people with what a smart, capable, helpful person you are. Nobody is going to be impressed. The only thing other people will care about is whether or not they can take advantage of you and your capabilities for their own benefit so they don't have to do an onerous chore.

"No" is a complete statement. It doesn't tell lies. It doesn't need any explanations. It doesn't need a full-page back story or excuses to back it up. If you hate something just say "no, I can't do this" and stop doing it. Nobody is twisting your arm to do it.

You can be neutral about it, you don't have to be nice about it, just like you didn't need to be nice about it when you were asked to take on this onerous chore and you said yes to it without thinking straight about why your friends were burned out with it or why they asked you to do it or about what you were getting yourself into. Don't be a sucker or a beggar for punishment. Just say "no".
Best advice, ever! 1000000% agreed with you.

From my experience, through the years of working, volunteering here and there, being friendly, nice and helpful to others, and wanting to go above and beyond... I've learn that for most people, when you care too much about them, the more you are nice, kind and generous to them, and want to help them, the more they want to take advantages of you, with no mercy at all. The more you want to give, the more others want to take. Even eventually, they think that is your responsibility and obligation to participate and help others. And when you feel burnt out, you cannot help them anymore, they will turn their feelings, attitude towards you 180 degrees. Many even hate you and criticize you badly.

Sometimes, there's no easy or nice way to say no. Some people don't get a hint on the nice way. They are very aggressive. They don't take a nice way “no” for an answer. They want to press you into saying yes.

I've learned to be assertive and say straightforward no without explaining why; and I don't feel guilt in my heart. I've felt much better mentally and physically since I dare to do this. I don't care for or about the ones who are takers or wanting to take advantages of me. I don't care for or about what others think bad about me when I don't help them. I know myself. I do want to be nice to others. I don't want to take advantages of others. But I don't want others to take advantages of me.

Old 10-10-2023, 03:22 PM

1,861 posts, read 837,121 times
dont say anything, just walk away, out of sight, out of mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships