Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 07:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

.....how do you handle them?

Many years ago, I got a slight earfull from my SIL because her children gave me one of those electronic music boxes, Ipod?, and I hurt their feelings because I had never used it, never opened it (they told me those deadly words "And if you don't open it, you can take it to the store and get even more memory!"). The thing is, I have no use for such a device.

So the current worry is a Kindle. I know many people think those things are the best thing since sliced onions, but not to me. The current worry but there are others as well.

I know, I know I must have asked this question before...but that was a previous year. Have matters of protocol, of what to do, changed?.........I suppose a Kindle could go in a box of bug out supplies for someone to use........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 08:08 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Return the item.

Or use it. How do you know you wont have a use for it unless you try it? Side note - surely you know what an ipod is. Apple has sold like half a billion units.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:12 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
I love my Kindle. :-) I like to read, and I have a whole library at my fingertips.

But in your case, if it were me, I'd pre-empt the SIL and let her know that electronics has never been your thing, and that you're trying to prevent hurt feelings, so "these are things I could really appreciate and use."

Old 12-12-2022, 08:14 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Physical books have their place, but ereaders do, too. I can't think of what benefit an unused Kindle would have in a "bug out" bag, if it's not charged or loaded up with reading material.

OP's family is trying to bring her into the 21st century, but they should know better than anyone that she's an analog person and to save their money.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:27 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Return the item.

Or use it. How do you know you wont have a use for it unless you try it? Side note - surely you know what an ipod is. Apple has sold like half a billion units.
Many people don't read anything longer than a message board post. . I suspect that with the OP's constant references to obscure movies and TV shows, she is not the reading type.

Someone like that would see no value in a Kindle and would not try it.

I agree with Snazzy that she should make it clear that she is not into electronics.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:47 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
.....how do you handle them?

Many years ago, I got a slight earfull from my SIL because her children gave me one of those electronic music boxes, Ipod?, and I hurt their feelings because I had never used it, never opened it (they told me those deadly words "And if you don't open it, you can take it to the store and get even more memory!"). The thing is, I have no use for such a device.

So the current worry is a Kindle. I know many people think those things are the best thing since sliced onions, but not to me. The current worry but there are others as well.

I know, I know I must have asked this question before...but that was a previous year. Have matters of protocol, of what to do, changed?.........I suppose a Kindle could go in a box of bug out supplies for someone to use........
If they said return it to the store, then return the unwanted gift and buy yourself something you actually want with the money. Take a photo of it or just write a note/thank you card describing what you purchased in lieu of and thank them for that gift. Maybe they will get an idea of appropriate gifts for you.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:27 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Just smile and say thank you. No one is actually obligated to give you things you like and the gift didn't cost you anything so you aren't out anything if you re-gift it..

I don't have a kindle, but I know there are lots of free downloads and there are probably a lot of useful things to download like homesteading books and things like Foxfire and herbal encyclopedias.

I understand. I didn't want a TV set and it drove everyone else mad and people and relatives were constantly trying to give me television sets. They just can not grasp your mindset.

You could try giving them lists to pick a gift from. List items with a widely varying prices so they can chose how much to spend.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:38 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I think you posted last year, overwrought that your relatives might try to give you an electronic device, but IIRC, they didn't.

Is this the same concern? It seems you were successful in preventing this tragic outcome before...has something changed to heighten your risk factor this year?

Old 12-12-2022, 11:41 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You could try giving them lists to pick a gift from. List items with a widely varying prices so they can chose how much to spend.
Oh no no no! Haven't you heard that gifting from a wish list is contributing to the crumbling of Western civilization? Along with Starbucks lattes and something else I've forgotten.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:47 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
I wonder if it would be helpful to give this SIL a "wish list" on Amazon or somewhere else of things you actually would like. Everyone in our family has very different tastes and no one would be successful in trying to shop for each other if we didn't make lists and shop from them. The way we do it, we aren't wasting money on things people have no use for and everyone winds up with gifts they want and will use.

If you wind up with a kindle, you can always return it to Amazon and get print books. But if it were me, I'd try the kindle before I return it. I was convinced I would never use mine when my husband got me one. Then one day I played around with it. I've never gone back to paper books. It's just too convenient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships