Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 06:27 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times

Advertisements

I graciously accept gifts and thank the giver.
As for the kindle , try it . I prefer paper books but my my husband loves his kindle , takes it everywhere he may be stuck ( waiting rooms at docs or car dealership) and loves aLl the library books he has access too. I occasionally use a kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 06:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I graciously accept gifts and thank the giver.
As for the kindle , try it . I prefer paper books but my my husband loves his kindle , takes it everywhere he may be stuck ( waiting rooms at docs or car dealership) and loves aLl the library books he has access too. I occasionally use a kindle.
Well, there you go. I was in my retina doctor's office yesterday......and I was reading a hardback book!.....in speed reading mode, too!

As far as graciously accepting gifts, I am not sure I can because that does enter into a lie. A lie to them, a lie to myself especially when using it is in violation of internal security clauses (I do not walk around as a zombie, my head in electronic gadgets) ........which may lead directly, in a future time, of stating directly to them of why I don't use that wonderful gift they gave me last year.

At best, I could say, honestly, "Oh, you shouldn't of,".......and pray it stops there.

Got to run.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:39 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
I'll take that Kindle, mine is getting old. It's not just an e-reader, it's a tablet that can surf the web. It has a calendar, email, a music player, clock (with alarms and timers), calculator, and you can even dictate text. I use mine to post on City Data all the time!

Old 12-13-2022, 07:47 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'll take that Kindle, mine is getting old. It's not just an e-reader, it's a tablet that can surf the web. It has a calendar, email, a music player, clock (with alarms and timers), calculator, and you can even dictate text. I use mine to post on City Data all the time!
That's what I have as well.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
But I don't do that. Like said above, big screens to a little screen? No, thank you.

What I think I am going to do is send out a "local" general broadcast to say "No electronics, please" and after that, sort of in the words of Arthur B. Carlson, "Insure everything and hope for the best.".

And if one does come down the chimney? Well, hopefully someone has come up with a nice way by then to say, "La, Shukran".

Old 12-13-2022, 11:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
I always have a couple of books in my car for appointment waits. When I finish one, I replace it with another. I am never caught without something to read.

Currently the books are Sometimes a Great Notion - Ken Kesey, and How Green Was My Valley - Llewlleyn Richard.

It's always books I have read before, often so many times I fear I might tire of them, that's when they end up as car books.

I think someone mentioned TVs too? My TV is so old there are no ports for digital cable or any devices. Just a port for a dvd player and a port for a cable box. Big heavy back end -some of you might remember those lol. It has an all in one VHS and dvd player, but both have died and I just use a cheap dvd player attached. This also drives my friend crazy, the same friend who wanted me to use my kindle.

I have another friend who is exasperated by my refusal to use a cell phone lol.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:08 PM

As far as modern TV goes and my lack of it, it has saved me from having unwanted roomies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I always have a couple of books in my car for appointment waits. When I finish one, I replace it with another. I am never caught without something to read.
We-ll, A and B.

A: My go to for that kind of event is my diary. I would be lost without it, it is always with me.

B: I do have a book sort of always with me. The current one is "Environment in Peril" (1991), but it is more to practice my ultra high speed reading.....and to get the book off the shelf. It rather comes down to who I am. Unless the book is in a small group of writers who I won't bother with (Robin Cook, Stephen King, John Grisham come to mind), I can't just get rid of books, I have to read them first. Any book but books like the one just mentioned really have little value to me (although since that one does reportedly have a section by Cousteau, I don't know for certain).

So such books are, to me, like training shapes. I can read them in an off moment at work since I am practicing my professional reading skill but since the book is nothing to me, if I get something wrong in my reading, it is not harming work.

When I get the time to read.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:19 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Something like that and while this may be said in jest.....

..........I have to come to loathe wish lists from others. I have a friend who likes people to buy her the things, very expensive things she wants. Come birthday and Christmas, she tells others what it is on the list and I hate that for to me, it makes me feel like she just sees us as a source of toys for her.

Not liking to read them from others, I am not likely to put them out myself.......but that's just me.

In the grand picture of protocol, are there others who see wish lists as not the thing to do?

In reverse order, returning it is possible, but it is something I have never done because mostly, I don't like being part of that mob.

On Ipods, no, not really. Every new gadget that shows up, I don't have time to learn about it, know about it. After all, I thought 5G were advertising words about a particular brand of cell phone and not the industry standard for cell phone technology.

As far as Kindle goes to the above and all the others, speaking only in mechanics and not the politics, reading on a computer screen hurts my reading speed, I have to slow down to reading out loud speed and slower, move away from just seeing the word and know it. For me, I am quite proud that I am "The Night of the Camera" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0748515/.......and I certainly don't want to use something that takes that away. Which makes a rather interesting coincidence to all those who say and say over and over, never getting the message of "I said NO".............. "just try it!" as that episode was about opium smuggling. "Just try it, the first taste is free.".

As far as the SIL, well, she's gone now but having seen it twice, to Mom, to Me, of hearing Mom after she visited, "They have every new electronic gadget you can think of,", I am sure there are others like that out there. It wouldn't surprise me if her children carried on the knack of such gift gifting.

As it is, we siblings and their children are pretty much out of the the gift giving to me except for things like figurines and stuffed animals, which does touch my heart, or maybe bottles of wine. The wine I can't drink but it can go into the wine cellar for when guests stop by.

But what about the long lost Uncle from the old country who is not on the message traffic? The brother to the one who left in his will the sum of fifty million gherkins?

So the question is out there, for me, for others in the world, for whatever the gift that they aren't going to touch, how does one handle it so not to start the feud between the Hitachis and the MacLinks?

Reading on a computer screen hurts your reading speed? How do you follow threads here?

Old 12-13-2022, 05:40 PM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I have a tablet, too. There was a deal being offered the phone before this one, wherein I got a small Samsung tablet. I didn't even take it out of the box for almost a year, but now I am on my fifth electronic book. Doesn't mean I gave up paper books; in fact, I am reading a historical novel through the Kindle app on my own and reading a nonfiction paperback historical book to my bf.

Not at the exact same time, of course!

Old 12-13-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Reading on a computer screen hurts your reading speed? How do you follow threads here?
PRECISELY! That's another reason why the Net is such a time waster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships