Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 06:55 AM

16,470 posts, read 12,706,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
No this is is someone new. Its still an LDR and no we have no met in person yet. We are going to meet next year and she would be a few hours drive away. She is 24 and is going to get her PhD in physics. She would get about 45K a year to support herself every year. She would be willing to fully support me financially if something does happen.
You haven't met yet, and you're counting on a (not so generous) income that she doesn't actually have yet.

You two aren't ready to move in together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 07:18 AM

19,932 posts, read 20,539,529 times
I would highly advise you not run off to go live somewhere, with someone, unknown. The routine you're currently taking for granted will be abruptly altered so much that you may not be able to cope with the new environment living with another person.

What I would suggest, is talking to your parents about helping you become more independent yourself, first. That way, you can have your own space, and live comfortably with your own routine. Your gf can come visit you, and you can go slowly, in a more responsible way.

You don't want to become dependent on a strange woman you've never met. A woman willing to finance you like a child has her own agenda...You cannot trust everyone to have your best interests at heart. Your parents do, God bless em. Don't underestimate the significance of how much autism affects your life, as well as the lives of those who love & care for you. Ask your parents to help you get on your own two feet first.

Prioritize your own independence first, then you will have room & the wherewithal to bring a lady into your life.
You want to build on a solid foundation, anything else will crumble. ~

Old 12-22-2020, 07:56 AM

19,940 posts, read 12,460,954 times
Quote:
No this is is someone new. Its still an LDR and no we have no met in person yet. We are going to meet next year and she would be a few hours drive away. She is 24 and is going to get her PhD in physics. She would get about 45K a year to support herself every year. She would be willing to fully support me financially if something does happen.

I wouldn't mind waiting and meeting her a few times but that is not the problem. My mom wants her to move in with us but she has her own place and doesn't want to move in with my parents. So this is a case where we would be visiting each other only. This is also ridiculous because even if she was living on the same street as me I can't move into her house.
Really? Even though you have never met her in person and they have never met her they want this stranger to move into their house? Of course this woman who is independent isn't going to move in with you and your parents. Your mother must be really desperate to keep you at home and to monitor all aspects of your life to come up with that idea.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:37 AM

37,850 posts, read 46,481,300 times
Quote:

I wouldn't mind waiting and meeting her a few times but that is not the problem. My mom wants her to move in with us but she has her own place and doesn't want to move in with my parents. So this is a case where we would be visiting each other only. This is also ridiculous because even if she was living on the same street as me I can't move into her house.
WHAT????

Your parents are obviously the only sane ones in the family.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 AM

10,004 posts, read 7,945,097 times
Quote:
Do you mean she would earn $45K from a job after she graduates? Or is she on some sort of assistance? Or does she want you to support her from your assistance? Doesn't sound right.

Do you drive? Have you ever worked?

Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,221,916 times
Quote:
I would love to get off government assistance and get an actual job. That was something I wanted to do but my parents were against it. They said that they worked too hard to get me on it and I am set up for life. I understand what they are saying but I can make a LOT more by getting off of it. That is another battle I fought with them about. I would be happier off of government assistance and they would have no say over what I do at that point. I am just so confused and it has really killed my motivation. Like whats the point of learning a skill if you aren't able to use it?

I think she believes I will just push carts at Walmart for eternity.
You can make $1080 per month on disability in addition to your monthly check.

Get a part time job.

Wait until you meet her before you decide to move in. You may not actually like her in person.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:30 AM

102,503 posts, read 109,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
She is willing to support a person she has never met?

She is willing to move in with a person she never met?

She doesn't know what a person with a PhD in physics makes.

This is a scam! Listen to your parents.
Yes, OP; this makes no sense. Why would your parents approve of someone you and they have never met, moving into their house?

None of this makes sense. You don't have to decide anything right now. What you need to do, is meet this person in person, to see if she is who she says she is, and to see if you two actually get along. You can't know that simply by interacting with her over the 'net.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:32 AM

102,503 posts, read 109,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WHAT????

Your parents are obviously the only sane ones in the family.
Not entirely. The OP says, they approved of this total stranger moving into their home.

I find that difficult to believe. OP, do your parents know you've never met this "girlfriend"?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:06 AM

108 posts, read 73,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Do you mean she would earn $45K from a job after she graduates? Or is she on some sort of assistance? Or does she want you to support her from your assistance? Doesn't sound right.

Do you drive? Have you ever worked?
She is on assistance that helps her during school.

It would be more reasonable to try and get a job and meet her. That was my original plan anyways, we meet a few times to see if we like each other in person. I thought it was a bit of a jump to move in so suddenly. I am going to do some research into it.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:10 AM

132,397 posts, read 12,420,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You haven't met her yet, but you want to move in with her? I'm with your parents on this one. I don't know how much experience you do or do not have with romantic relationships, but moving in with someone that you've never met is a very, very bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships