Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,954,839 times

Advertisements

In my experience it seems that people who prioritize drinking (or other recreational drugs) are more often than not a little weird. Free time usually means activities that involve drinking or going places where alcohol is available. This often leads to only having a circle of friends that also partake in the same activities. Cookout, vacation, dinner, holidays, hobbies....there’s always an element of drinking involved (or for pot heads...weed). It gets old.

Oh, and the ones that love talking about their beer or wine or whiskey, etc. Oh boy, if they think you’re a drinker too they’ll proceed to talk, talk and talk about what they like...what they want to try...what they can make...where they drink...what they did while drunk...how much they can drink, blah, blah, blah. “Mmm I just love a delicious ____” Sooooooooo cool. It seems like people that far in are borderline alcoholics that say they’re just having fun.

Heaven forbid the whole family likes to drink...i.e 25+ yr old adults that drink with their parents and other family members.

Anyway, it just seems that I often don’t enjoy the company of those who seem like a walking encyclopedia on spirits/beer/weed, whatever. I guess the novelty of it just never goes away for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 PM

17,813 posts, read 9,247,915 times
What you're describing is a lifestyle. If that's not your thing, then so be it...but why judge?

Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What you're describing is a lifestyle. If that's not your thing, then so be it...but why judge?
I was about to end my post with “no judging” - should’ve figured the first reply would be something about judging. LOL.

I think we all have the right to judge or not judge as much as we like. Go ahead and judge me...I do it to myself all the time.

Regardless, the point is that some people can seem really nice, but they’re a little too into the “lifestyle” which I judge to be a little on the shallow side of life.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
Of course they’re weird; they’re intoxicated.

Inebriated people are so annoying.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Of course they’re weird; they’re intoxicated.

Inebriated people are so annoying.
What about those that talk about alcohol a lot even when they aren’t intoxicated? Ya know, their stories...their plans...their excitement about the party. Heaven forbid you invite them to a weekend with those that don’t partake. Not really talking alcoholics - functional people who simply somewhat revolve around some substance.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,313,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
In my experience it seems that people who prioritize drinking (or other recreational drugs) are more often than not a little weird. Free time usually means activities that involve drinking or going places where alcohol is available. This often leads to only having a circle of friends that also partake in the same activities. Cookout, vacation, dinner, holidays, hobbies....there’s always an element of drinking involved (or for pot heads...weed). It gets old.

Oh, and the ones that love talking about their beer or wine or whiskey, etc. Oh boy, if they think you’re a drinker too they’ll proceed to talk, talk and talk about what they like...what they want to try...what they can make...where they drink...what they did while drunk...how much they can drink, blah, blah, blah. “Mmm I just love a delicious ____” Sooooooooo cool. It seems like people that far in are borderline alcoholics that say they’re just having fun.

Heaven forbid the whole family likes to drink...i.e 25+ yr old adults that drink with their parents and other family members.

Anyway, it just seems that I often don’t enjoy the company of those who seem like a walking encyclopedia on spirits/beer/weed, whatever. I guess the novelty of it just never goes away for some.
You would find my whole country strange as most people drink. Even many fundamentalist Christians. And quite a few Muslims that we know, as long as their elderly parents are not around. Of course we drink with our families, legally once we are 18.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
You would find my whole country strange as most people drink. Even many fundamentalist Christians. And quite a few Muslims that we know, as long as their elderly parents are not around. Of course we drink with our families, legally once we are 18.
Drinking as part of one’s culture is a little different than people who make drinking their “thing” as if it’s the greatest thing ever. I find those that NEED to drink to have a good time a little boring once the novelty of it wears off.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:51 AM

23,353 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'd surmise that anyone with an interest that absorbs a lot of their time and energy can come off a bit weird. You know, such as collecting Beanie Babies, restoring antique trains, major league sports, classical music, Trivial Pursuit, gaming, superhero movies, muscle cars, fishing/hunting, drag racing, golf, politics, interior design, scuba diving, kite fighting, martial arts, conspiracy theories, murder mysteries, international espionage, vintage TV, alpine skiing, cats, dogs, tropical fish, crochet, building furniture, chainsaw art, ping pong, target shooting, Monopoly, Scrabble, running marathons, bodybuilding...oh yeah, and let's not forget, becoming wine and spirits aficionados.

Isn't this thread a thinly-veiled attempt to condemn people who drink more alcohol than you think is acceptable? If you don't like spending time around others when they drink, DON'T DO IT!

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-07-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 12:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
Seems you sure as hell would not enjoy being around me, lol.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd surmise that anyone with an interest that absorbs a lot of their time and energy can come off a bit weird. You know, such as collecting Beanie Babies, restoring antique trains, major league sports, classical music, Trivial Pursuit, gaming, superhero movies, muscle cars, fishing/hunting, drag racing, golf, politics, interior design, scuba diving, kite fighting, martial arts, conspiracy theories, murder mysteries, international espionage, vintage TV, alpine skiing, cats, dogs, tropical fish, crochet, building furniture, chainsaw art, ping pong, target shooting, Monopoly, Scrabble, running marathons, bodybuilding...oh yeah, and let's not forget, becoming wine and spirits aficionados.

Isn't this thread a thinly-veiled attempt to condemn people who drink more alcohol than you think is acceptable? If you don't like spending time around others when they drink, DON'T DO IT!
Well by that standard we could say shooting up heroin in one’s free time is a hobby.

And here’s a distinction - people that say scuba dive as a hobby generally don’t only hang around people that scuba dive or only go places where scuba diving is involved. It’s part of their life - not their life. There are however people that spend an inordinate amount of free time doing things that involve the alcohol “hobby”....on the weekend...after work...at the BBQ...at the beach...with the friends...New Years...dinner...bar crawl...wine tasting, etc. It’s something someone can find just about any reason to involve in what they’re doing.

No - no attempt to condemn anyone. However, I’m sure there’s at least a few people that have been in a relationship with/dated someone that seems annoyingly drawn to some sort of vice - yet often we care for them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships