Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 02:20 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,776,574 times

Advertisements

I went to my 10th and haven't been to one since. I felt like most of the people who went to our ten year hadn't changed much since graduation. Only a few were married and even fewer had kids. Some were still going to college or trying to find that perfect career. I also felt people still seemed very "clicky". I had several friends go to the 20 year and that's probably the one I should have went to. That's when you really see how peoples lives turned out. Will I go to the next? Maybe, maybe not.

In your case, if you want to go, go ahead and go! You really have nothing to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM

561 posts, read 327,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I graduated in 63 and have never been back to one reunion. I thought about going about 20 years ago, but changed my mind. While some people were in love with their High School experience, I was not. I wasn't one of the jocks or in one of the cliques, I just got through it. I was not a great student, and somewhat rebellious, so I probably did not have a great reputation at the time.

Even the people I was close to have changed so much that I prefer to remember them the way they were back then, not how they are now. I know some people go to reunions and have a blast, but I think some things are best left in the past, and not dug up again.
The above is exactly how I feel about it, only in my case the people I was close to then have shown their true colors since. The few people I would care to talk to I already do and the rest I didn't have anything in common with them and I can tell from Facebook that hasn't changed although from the pictures post they do indeed have a blast at the reunions reliving memories I wasn't a part of with them.

On the other had if you enjoyed your high school experience and got along well with many classmates, and it's local to you, then I would encourage you to try at least one and you'll know if you ever want to go again. If it's boring then you can leave early. Either way, you'll know.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:36 PM

561 posts, read 327,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
My recommendation is that you go. My second recommendation is that while there, try to avoid using the word, "yall".
If they used it twice in the question I'm going to guess it's second nature to say y'all and therefore not out of place where the OP grew up. Why wouldn't they use it?

Old 03-04-2019, 02:46 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,656,525 times
I would go to a nice restaurant and spend the $50.00 on a good meal. Those people at the reunion you most likely won’t see again and if they were friends you would see them more than once every 10 years.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,963,307 times
My 10 year is coming up next year. I definitely plan on going. I graduated with 800 so there's tons of people I didn't even know. Plus there's a lot of people that I had loose friendships with that I'd like to reconnect with. Facebook only goes so far. It often glosses over the actual stories. Not to mention it'd be nice to actually have that in person time. I went out of state for college, out of state for grad school, and then moved out of state, so I know that there is no comparison between face to face interaction and keeping up on Facebook. It's just one night, but I think it'd be a lot of fun.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,892,914 times
If you have to ask, probably not.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I would go to a nice restaurant and spend the $50.00 on a good meal. Those people at the reunion you most likely won’t see again and if they were friends you would see them more than once every 10 years.
Many people move far away so it's not always easy to see them on a regular basis.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,488,347 times
I would skip. A high school reunion isn't worth $50.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I would skip. A high school reunion isn't worth $50.
Some of them cost even more than that. Like, $200. Yes, I skipped that one.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,488,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some of them cost even more than that. Like, $200. Yes, I skipped that one.
High school reunions should be free. $50 or $200 is way too much money to spend for what can basically be done on Facebook, Instagram, and/or LinkedIn for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am honestly surprised a recent class like 2009 is doing reunions. They are a bit old fashioned in the era of social media.
I agree that the Class of 2009 doing a reunion is unusual. I graduated from high school in the early 2000s. I don't believe that my graduating class did a 10 or 15 year reunion. I was never notified of one. Notification does not matter, because I would not have attended anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships