Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:26 PM

406 posts, read 624,343 times

Advertisements

I have a story that is kind of anticlimactic, but I will share it anyway. Sitting in a public place with some casual acquaintances, among them was a person viewed as very eccentric, a terrible, racist comment was made.

The very eccentric man, without any provocation, said one of the worst things possible that also threatened violence (actually killing). The victim sat stunned momentarily, then the comment maker got up and left. This comment was so bad I would probably get in trouble for repeating it here. Over the course of the next thirty minutes, it was obvious the racist threat began to sink in its intended target and he was more visibly agitated each time he purposely turned the conversation back to the incident.

Some suggestions on what he should do; report the incident to law enforcement? It is a threat to murder that could also be categorized as a hate crime.

I would be interested to read the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 01:48 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,201,329 times
If there was a threat of violence or murder then calling the non emergency number and talking to a police officer seems prudent, citing date,time, who,what and where,as well as any witnesses.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,572,579 times
So the perpetrator said 'I am going to kill you xxxx' (xxxx being a racial slur) and then he got up and left?

Is that what happened?

Old 10-14-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
So the perpetrator said 'I am going to kill you xxxx' (xxxx being a racial slur) and then he got up and left?

Is that what happened?
Not quite, the perp described in detail an action he would do to the victim that was identical to what a certain demographic was victimized by in history (the action that would always end in death).

Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
If there was a threat of violence or murder then calling the non emergency number and talking to a police officer seems prudent, citing date,time, who,what and where,as well as any witnesses.
There were definitely witnesses, including yours truly, some people present knew the perpetrator better than I.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Not quite, the perp described in detail an action he would do to the victim that was identical to what a certain demographic was victimized by in history (the action that would always end in death).
Oh, and the victim was part of said demographic.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
What did everyone else do? Do these two people know each other? What is their history?

Old 10-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
What did everyone else do? Do these two people know each other? What is their history?
As for me, I could NOT believe it. I am not easily stunned and I just sat there like the victim. I guess everyone did that, because there was a lull in the conversation after perp said it. He left shortly thereafter. The two know each other and I am not sure if there is history of altercations.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:03 PM

I can imagine being shocked. I would have been too. WTH.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:06 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
I have a story that is kind of anticlimactic, but I will share it anyway. Sitting in a public place with some casual acquaintances, among them was a person viewed as very eccentric, a terrible, racist comment was made.

The very eccentric man, without any provocation, said one of the worst things possible that also threatened violence (actually killing). The victim sat stunned momentarily, then the comment maker got up and left. This comment was so bad I would probably get in trouble for repeating it here. Over the course of the next thirty minutes, it was obvious the racist threat began to sink in its intended target and he was more visibly agitated each time he purposely turned the conversation back to the incident.

Some suggestions on what he should do; report the incident to law enforcement? It is a threat to murder that could also be categorized as a hate crime.

I would be interested to read the feedback.
From your description of the person who made this threat it seems the group may already dismiss some things this person does/says because they are seen as eccentric. If this was the first as well as an isolated incident maybe it was nothing more than stupidity, a byproduct of some other anxiety going on inside this person giving them a hair trigger, piled on top of eccentricity. Its easy for me to say this because I wasn't the target, but I think I'd dismiss it, and pointedly stay away from them in future. Now if this became a pattern of behavior I would NOT ignore it. I would meet with the person in a quiet but public place and ask them directly why they are making those sorts of remarks, tell them succinctly they are offensive, hurtful, and will be taken seriously if they don't stop.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-14-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships