Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,421,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
What's the big deal? He's an old man, leave him be. Just park in his spots and get on with your life.
Lol, I always love how some people say this.

Why is it a big deal? Because the OP paid to have THAT specific parking spot, that's why.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
What's the big deal? He's an old man, leave him be. Just park in his spots and get on with your life.
OTOH, he's "only" 80. The OP could be putting up with this for another 15 years. Why should s/he do that? The guy's just a jerk; the OP's assigned spot happens to be conveniently in front of the 80-year-old's home, so that's the spot he wants to use, and use it, he does. Maybe he and the OP could agree to switch parking spaces? And have that written up and signed, like a contract? Whose home is the 80-year-old's assigned spot in front of, I wonder.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 AM

18,112 posts, read 9,429,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
If he asked if he could use our spot, that would be different. He just helped himself.

So, if he asked, you'd let him park in your spot? If so, then just let it go.

ETA: OP, show some compassion. He's an old man. A grumpy old man, but still...

Old 06-21-2018, 02:24 AM

18,112 posts, read 9,429,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
You can really offend him and say “I get it, when my uncle got older the old dementia started kicking in and eventually he even forgot how to drive; I’ll keep an eye out for some brain exercises and send them your way. But for now please move your car.”

Then go on-line and order pamphlets from all different memory care places in his name. His mailbox will be teaming with brochures.

You’ll feel alot better and he’ll get the message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
^^^ Excellent!

There's been plenty of suggestions in this thread that I find to be in poor taste, but this is just downright cruel.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 AM

741 posts, read 592,776 times
He’s a nasty, bullying curmudgeon. He doesn’t get a free pass to be a jerk just because he’s 80. Don’t play games with him or insult him. Just have his car towed—no warning. You’ve asked him to move his car multiple times, so that’s sufficient warning. It will be a painfully expensive way to get the message across and he’ll never park there again.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:21 AM

4,076 posts, read 2,166,703 times
Quote:
Nope. My spot is right in front of his villa. Thats why he likes to put there.
Quote:
Right in front of his villa. One of the neighbors says that he uses other people's spots when his family is in town.

I don't understand---whose spot is in front of his villa? His or yours?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:42 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,612,386 times
"The older we get, the more like ourselves we become." A geriatric physician I worked with told me this. This 80 year old isn't doing this because he is old but because he has always taken advantage of others for his own benefit. Old men don't just suddenly start calling someone a b---- if they don't get their way; it's rather something they've done for years.

You'll have to either let him use your spot, or take stronger action with the HOA. He's not going to follow the rules unless the alternative causes him some pain.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 AM

16 posts, read 32,926 times
I had a similar situation with a condo neighbor sunbathing on our lawn when we moved in because he had an agreement with the previous owner. It was akin to territorial peeing. Put your foot down now or he will walk all over you as long as you are neighbors.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,624,844 times
Quote:
We just moved into a little villa that we love but our elderly neighbor keeps parking in our assigned spot. Each resident is assigned 2 spots and overflow parking in close lot. The first time he parked in our spot while were in the parking lot. My husband later asked him nicely for his spot back. He moved and I thought we had the issue resolved.

Today, he parked in husband's spot and left his two spots vacant. I went over there and asked him if knew they were our spots and he said yes. I told him that we need those spots available for us at all times. He said that he was used to parking there because the last owner was never home (vacation property) He said it was hard to break habits. I said yep, but we need our spots. The whole time we had been there, he had been testing us. He takes other peoples spots too, but nobody ever says anything to him. He said that he would take care of it and then I heard him mutter, "Be a good neighbor, b*tch". I couldn't believe he was so rude! When he finally moved, I parked my car in both spots!!

What should I do if this happens again? I'm not out to make enemies here, but I paid for those spots.
Once, I heard the bolded, I think I would have went off on him and replied "No, you be a good neighbor ahole and stop parking in our parking spots"...and maybe scare him a little.

Last edited by fitzy24; 06-21-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,624,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
So, if he asked, you'd let him park in your spot? If so, then just let it go.

ETA: OP, show some compassion. He's an old man. A grumpy old man, but still...
Calling someone a beach isn't grumpy, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships