Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,310,784 times

Advertisements

Thread needs to remain on topic without bickering among members, otherwise thread will be closed, with infractions issued.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,741,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't see where he was politely asked. It sounds like the OP was pretty pissed off when she went over there. And, in my experience, it would be extraordinarily unusual for a polite request to result in being called a b****.

Nothing you reposted from the OP suggests that she was being rude, or nasty.

But if you want to go into fault--maybe if the neighbor hadn't deliberately been parking in spots that he knew full well didn't belong to him, the OP wouldn't have had to ask him not to do so (regardless of tone) in the first place, hmm?

As for 'giving the elderly the benefit of a doubt' (which others have posted): It is one thing to give your elderly neighbor the benefit of a doubt when, for example, they crank up their TV so loudly you can hear it throughout your home. One could give the benefit of a doubt that, rather than being a thoughtless jerk, their hearing has deteriorated to the point they can no longer hear it at normal or even slightly-above-normal levels, so they are unaware of how loud they have the volume up. However, since none of us want to be blasted out of our homes with this, it's perfectly acceptable to go over and let the neighbor know that the noise level is causing a problem. But giving the benefit of a doubt does not extend to the elderly neighbor being allowed to call you names when you bring up that something they're doing is causing a problem for you. Once they do that, they *are* being a jerk, and age has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,200,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Do you understand the concept of hyperbole? Hyperbole | Define Hyperbole at Dictionary.com
Dan, do you understand the concept that I am a college graduate (BSEE) and that I got straight A grades in English in high school?

Please do not talk down to me. You are showing your boorishness.

They always say about ad hominem attacks, direct your reply towards the idea that your opponent expressed, don't attack the integrity or knowledge of your opponent.

That is by the way in the CD TOS and rules, no ad hominem attacks are allowed. Please go google that phrase. Google: ad hominem.

And please let off of the attempts to demean people who you disagree with. Posts like that look ugly and diminish CD as an interesting place to discuss ideas without trading insults.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:13 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,741,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
twowildo's "evidence" is garbage. Anyone that has ever spent a significant amount of time around elderly people will tell you that they have good days and bad days.

The old guy may be capable of running on the beach on his good days, but that certainly doesn't mean he won't/doesn't experience mobility issues on his bad days.

If the old guy has problems to the point where parking in the OP's space makes his life easier, then he should have brought this up when the OP went to ask him not to park in their spaces. A simple, "Oh, the previous owner and I swapped because of my problems and he wasn't ever here anyway. Would you be open to swapping my spots for yours?" And maybe the OP would have agreed.

Since the old guy didn't bring up any possible issues such as that, then no, he doesn't get the benefit of a doubt in regards to him attempting to keep using them.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,200,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Thread needs to remain on topic without bickering among members, otherwise thread will be closed, with infractions issued.
Thank you for your stabilizing comment, and I hope others involved in this topic will heed your guidance.

In my opinion the OP needs to reappear in the topic and provide sufficient information so that we are all not speculating and running on our hormones, so that we can reflect on the real issues as the OP presents them.

Although I have no standing here except as any regular member, I urge topic participants to not continue rehashing the OP's posts, since IMO new questions have come up and old questions have not been addressed.

I see no point in rehashing the OP's information until the OP returns to the topic and adds new, additional information.

Without any more information about the OP this topic is already "cooked" and there is no point in continuing it unless we get new information to discuss.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,564,064 times
Thread is closed due to more moderation of off topic, bickering and rude attacks on each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships