Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 778,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Elderly people generally have mobility issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
He still runs on the beach everyday!
Well, there goes the mobility theory.

If he really did have trouble getting around, the OP probably would not have even brought the issue to the attention of this forum.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:31 PM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Quote:
For those that have said that the guy's age is irrelevant, I strongly disagree. If he was 30 years old, I would have a very different viewpoint.

Elderly people generally have mobility issues. Allowing the old guy to use the parking space is the decent and kind thing to do.

[
If he has mobility issues than he needs to get himself a handicap placard or license plate and a DESIGNATED parking spot. If not, those issues are not a factor.

You must have missed the post where rhe OP goes running every day. I know a number of folks in the 80 year age range, and they are in better shape than a lot of people half their age.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,212,074 times
If he wants the parking spot he should find some other way to get it besides stealing it.

An emotionally mature person would go over to the rightful owner of the parking spot and ask if they would consider switching parking spots.

However twowilldo has come up with evidence that said old man has no mobility issues at all. He runs on the beach! He seems to have laziness issues complicated by lack of regard for his fellow humans.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,267,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I give old people benefit all the time.
Just how I was brought up. Values.
People seem to think that all 80-somethings shuffle around with their brain function half gone. They don't. Many are still perfectly functional and well aware of how they are behaving. If this man had asked nicely because he had mobility issues, or something, I'd be willing to consider letting him have the closer spot. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:44 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,205,513 times
Quote:
For those that have said that the guy's age is irrelevant, I strongly disagree. If he was 30 years old, I would have a very different viewpoint.
I wish she had just left out his age. It has nothing to do with this problem.

Quote:
Elderly people generally have mobility issues. Allowing the old guy to use the parking space is the decent and kind thing to do.[/font][/font]
Some do have mobility issues. This guy doesn't.

Quote:
This thread really isn't about a parking space. It's about pride and perceived disrespect. It's about common decency (or lack thereof).
Correct, and this "poor ol' elderly" guy trashed all that when he called the OP a ******.

Quote:
It's about how the elderly are viewed/treated.
Um, no. The age here is but a red herring. This thread is about entitlement.

Quote:
Again, the following quote suggests that the parking space isn't all that important to the OP.
That doesn't matter. The guy overstepped and then tried to double down. The situation he was used to has changed, and rather than talk to the OP about it, he just assumed he could continue his previous behavior.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:56 PM

18,159 posts, read 9,478,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
However twowilldo has come up with evidence that said old man has no mobility issues at all. He runs on the beach!
twowildo's "evidence" is garbage. Anyone that has ever spent a significant amount of time around elderly people will tell you that they have good days and bad days.

The old guy may be capable of running on the beach on his good days, but that certainly doesn't mean he won't/doesn't experience mobility issues on his bad days.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:10 PM

15,177 posts, read 27,933,479 times
Without re-reading all the junk people posted about doing nasty things - didn't OP state that this spot was NOT in front of the old guy's place but instead of her place?

To the OP - I'm sorry this thread has sometimes taken a turn for the worst: you were advised by your HOA (which is the only opinion/solution that matters!) - I suggest going that route.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:31 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,205,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post

To the OP - I'm sorry this thread has sometimes taken a turn for the worst: you were advised by your HOA (which is the only opinion/solution that matters!) - I suggest going that route.
Yep, this is NOT the first neighbor conflict ever to exist. There is a process in place, OP. If he does it again, REPORT HIM.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM

18,159 posts, read 9,478,049 times
Quote:
It's about how the elderly are viewed/treated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Um, no. The age here is but a red herring.
I disagree. In my opinion, the guy's age is the most important detail in this thread.

Elderly people are (and should be) treated differently in many situations.

There's a reason why crimes have harsher punishments when the victim is an elderly person. In some cases, the punishment is doubled. Or a misdemeanor becomes a felony.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:01 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,856,100 times
Quote:
I disagree. In my opinion, the guy's age is the most important detail in this thread.

Elderly people are (and should be) treated differently in many situations.

There's a reason why crimes have harsher punishments when the victim is an elderly person. In some cases, the punishment is doubled. Or a misdemeanor becomes a felony.
So we should excuse crass and inappropriate behavior if the person is old? You’re defending a guy who when asked politely to not park in the OPs spot called her a b****. I’m sorry, but age does not relieve people from treating others with respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships