Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

Im 18 and still in high school for a month, once i graduate ill have a full time job roofing making about 1,320 a month and i want to move out on my own. Is this a good idea on my part or should I stay put where im not happy. Its not that i dont love my parents but they just keep treating me like im 5. i honeslty dont know what to do at this point, its not like i wont have a steady income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:16 PM

321 posts, read 263,442 times
Where do you live? What are apartment rents like where you live and can you find a roommate? Where I live you'd need 4 roommates in a 2 bedroom to be able to afford to live on your own with the money you make.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:21 PM

729 posts, read 569,581 times
Well, it is your parents' house so you should follow their rules.

Note to self: When hiring a roofer, ask how much experience their employees have.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 814,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinlong18 View Post
Im 18 and still in high school for a month, once i graduate ill have a full time job roofing making about 1,320 a month and i want to move out on my own. Is this a good idea on my part or should I stay put where im not happy. Its not that i dont love my parents but they just keep treating me like im 5. i honeslty dont know what to do at this point, its not like i wont have a steady income.
You're 18. If you aren't headed off to college, it is absolutely a good idea to move out! It's nice to read you have a backbone and a little gumption! You aren't making much and that will not be easy to live on (more or less so depending where you live). I suggest finding a roommate to share costs or look for a room rental situation. You will also probably need a second job. My son was barely getting by but just could not lower himself to getting a job in a restaurant as a second job. I did not help him out and let him feel the burn. The pain finally got to be too much and he sucked it up and got a second job delivering pizzas. He made more money than he did at his day job! This allowed him to save up some money, pay off his debts, and move for a better opportunity. You need to have a plan to improve your situation and start earning more money if you want to live on your own but millions of 18-year-olds before you have done it and you can too. It used to be the norm to move out after high school, either to college, the military, or to your own place, and it was expected. Now it has become acceptable for "men" in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and apparently, even 50s, to still be living at home sponging off their parents! You should be proud of yourself! I might also suggest the military as an alternative!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,713,183 times
Quote:
There are some good reasons for moving out on your own. Doing so because you don't get along with your parents isn't at the top of the list.

I'm sure most people (including yours truly) believed they had all the answers at 18, only to find the reality doesn't match the fantasy. So, unless your parents are beating you or doing something horribly wrong(you can elaborate), I would advise against it.

If you are planning to move out because you have a specific plan (going to college; enlisting, etc.) then the decision is a little more thought provoking.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:44 PM

23,791 posts, read 19,679,168 times
Quote:
It's hard for some parents to let go of their kids. It's not that they don't want you to be on your own, they are just concerned about your welfare.

It's more than a steady income. Your parents have been running interference for you in other ways too. Are you on their health insurance, auto insurance, phone or web access plans? Do they pay your car expenses? I'd run the numbers....prove you can afford to be out of their house. Find your own place to live, pay the utilities, have a food budget, get roommates set up, and present your "case" to them. This will show them you really are being responsible and READY to leave, and it will also expose the flaws in your own thinking. If you leave on friendly terms you'll have a place to fall back on if something doesn't work out.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,431,646 times
I’d start my new job, work it for at least six months, and find a compatible room mate, and then move out.

You need some savings before launching out, and you need to make sure you want to continue at this job, and that your employer will continue to employ you. And also, you need to know how seasonal the work will be.

If you find a compatible roommate, you can split costs, saving yourself some monthly expense.

Just make sure your employer does not plan to pay you off book. You want to pay into social security. And you need to know about insurance. What happens if you are injured on the job?

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2018, 02:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,540,155 times
Quote:
Are you acting like you are 5 or are you acting like an adult- preparing yourself to leave the nest? True, some parents have trouble letting go but some children want all the 'freedoms' of adulthood without any of the responsibilities. Are you helping around the house (without being asked), keeping up with your schoolwork and job, being respectful of house rules (even if you don't agree with them) and the like?

Is your monthly pay before or after taxes? And keep in mind that this seems like a lot of money when you are not paying for everything.

How much do apartments rent for where you want to live? How many roommates might you need to live away from your parents house?

Can you pay for food, clothing, health insurance, transportation, entertainment (cable if you want it, internet access, your cell phone) etc as well having some money set aside for emergencies?

Please run the numbers to get an idea of what you'll be facing when you leave. Create a sample budget for yourself- yes you will need to budget at this stage of the game. It's better to be informed when you make your stand.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 19,067,917 times
Dustin, being in the residential and commercial building industry, I know roofing is probably one of the hardest trades to do. And it's even harder on those that are stuck doing it long term. Not many old time roofers, it takes a toll on the body. That is, IF you manage to keep from getting injured. There's a reason why roofing companies pay such crazy high Workmans Comp Insurance rates in the USA. I would really suggest that maybe you and bud, a responsible bud, maybe rent a place together and get jobs where you can continue with your education. Maybe getting a degree in construction trades. A degree in something you like doing. Straight up, not many opportunities for folks with no degree. The reason is simple, looking at from the employers side. If you aren't committed enough to your education, then you're not committed enough to do them a good job. That's how they look at it, that's what your future holds with no degree. Wanna be the dude with the hot car? Gotta make dough to put on the show. Look at it like this, going to college is your new job that the pay will come to you when you graduate. Most importantly, get into college, finish college in a field YOU like doing, sit back and enjoy life. That's the real skinny about how life works. The choice is yours.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,825,204 times
It's a perfectly fine idea if you can support yourself. You need to think about rent, transportation (if you have a car that includes gasoline, insurance, and maintenance), utilities, cell phone/internet service, food, health care or health insurance, and what you'll do in case of a financial emergency. If you date, make it your responsibility to NOT GET ANYONE PREGNANT. Also, do not use a credit card unless you can pay off the balance monthly. Don't do anything illegal, including using drugs or driving while intoxicated.

As TrapperL said, roofing is hard, dangerous work. There is a shortage of skilled tradespeople, so you might think about finding a program that offers training in plumbing, electrical work, HVAC, auto mechanics, or something similar. In our community, the electricians union has a training program where you work as an apprentice for a number of years until you get your license.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships