Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:29 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,702,343 times

Advertisements

It's impossible to give you a good answer on so little information.

Do you know for a fact that you want to be a roofer as a life-long job, or is it just an avenue to some immediate money? Does your employer offer good medical coverage in case you fall off a roof? Do you have savings in case you get fired after three months? Do you think you can realistically find a good living situation for $500 a month?

I'll give you a completely wild guess: It's a bad idea. I suspect it would be far more to your long-term advantage to put some time into your relationship with your parents, work on things to make them treat you a little more like an adult. Is it possible that they treat you like a child because you act like a child? Have you sat down a few times and tried to discuss it seriously with them? I think you might do better to stay, try on an adult role at home, see how you like being a working stiff, and save money for at least six months.

It's not a good indicator that you weren't interested enough, or courteous enough, to return to acknowledge the replies here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:32 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my area, one bedroom apartments rent for $800 to $1,200 a month ----that does not include heat, electricity, cable, internet or phone (which would add at least another $200 or $300 a month). Also, you usually need to pay the first month and last month rent in advance and possibly even more for a security deposit.

Even with a room mate can you really afford that amount just for rent? Are you planning to eat food? Wear clothes? Have health insurance? Drive a car? Have car insurance? Etc. Etc.

I don't mean to be too rough just honest with you.
Exactly, it would be really tight if doable at all. Of course I'm sure even in a big city you can find a slum of an apartment if you don't mind bugs, mice, etc. Or you can get a roommate and deal with all their crap! Plus, you need a car, gas, insurance, furniture, food, utilities, etc. $1300 a month is NOT going to pay for all of that!!

My advice, realize that your parents have rule because they currently pay ALL those bills for you most likely and they are teaching you to be a good responsible adult! You'd be better off respecting them, working your new job full-time, saving the money and taking college classes at night! Once you graduate college you should be able to get a promotion and have money in the bank to actually move out!

Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,276,979 times
I know he asked, but it is kinda funny watching a bunch of adults try to tell an 18 year old guy fed up with life at home how he should go about his life. Like he is goimg to listen to you folks! And before you chastise me, know that I am the parent of two children who were 18 not long ago, as well as having been 18 myself. I know where of I speak and so do a lot of you, I suspect. He is going to do what he wants if he's man enough, and that will be that. Didn't we all? Save your sage advice and your breath. Life's about to take him by the ear and make a believer of him.

ETA: To the OP, I have roofed a lot of houses, and I never worked that job for 1320 a month. Not even twenty years ago. I sure as heck wouldnt do it now... (There I go, being a parentsl adult like the rest of these folks. Dern ya!)

Last edited by countryboy73; 05-01-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 07:41 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,544,471 times
See proof you are covered by Workman's Compensation Insurance before you go to work there. It sounds sketchy because roofers are paid considerably more than that. Even construction "pick up scraps around workplace to keep tidy" workers are paid better in my state.

No, do not move out. Get 6 months worth of living expenses saved up first. What about college, trade school, apprenticeships ?

Also as you show you are a responsible adult, your parents will likely treat you like one. Think of this as just transitional.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,411,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
I know he asked, but it is kinda funny watching a bunch of adults try to tell an 18 year old guy fed up with life at home how he should go about his life. Like he is goimg to listen to you folks! And before you chastise me, know that I am the parent of two children who were 18 not long ago, as well as having been 18 myself. I know where of I speak and so do a lot of you, I suspect. He is going to do what he wants if he's man enough, and that will be that. Didn't we all? Save your sage advice and your breath. Life's about to take him by the ear and make a believer of him.
Well, OP did ask.

What I find kinda funny is how everyone assumes OP's parents must be wonderful people, and that the problem must be the OP, who just needs to suck up to his parents and everything will be peachy. Would everyone here who would love to move back in with their parents and would expect to be treated like an adult by them please stand up.

As for three or six months' living expenses, how many responsible adults here have that much lying around?

Last edited by sheerbliss; 05-01-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 PM

100 posts, read 53,361 times
Hmm, I was in your shoes once too and I decided to stay. I don't think $1320 is a steady income. I've been miserable all this time and really hated my life. I am 22 now and about to graduate from university. I saved a lot of money by staying at home and I'm happy that I did.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:50 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Is the $1320 before or after taxes and other withholdings?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:51 PM

2,499 posts, read 1,876,844 times
[quote=sheerbliss;51774452]Well, OP did ask.

What I find kinda funny is how everyone assumes OP's parents must be wonderful people, and that the problem must be the OP, who just needs to suck up to his parents and everything will be peachy. Would everyone here who would love to move back in with their parents and would expect to be treated like an adult by them please stand up.

As for three or six months' living expenses, how many responsible adults here have that much lying around?[/quote]

Well, if they are responsible adults, I sure would hope they do. Otherwise, I don't think you can call them responsible. Adults, maybe.....responsible, no.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:59 PM

171 posts, read 146,224 times
I would suggest wait at least 6 months to a year to save up some money to be able to put a decent down payment on a apartment, living on your own is all good and dandy until the bills start piling up. Take your time tell your parent to give you a little space and treat you as an adult , be honest what with you want to do. It never hurts to voice your concerns first before picking up moving. Saving money and not paying blls is so much easier than trying to save money but still having to pay rent and utilities.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,411,732 times
[quote=jamary1;51774705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Well, OP did ask.

As for three or six months' living expenses, how many responsible adults here have that much lying around?[/quote]

Well, if they are responsible adults, I sure would hope they do. Otherwise, I don't think you can call them responsible. Adults, maybe.....responsible, no.
I'm an honorably discharged veteran, have an engineering degree, excellent credit, a good job, investments, no debt, and own my house and car outright. I've never been on unemployment. So yes, I think I'm a member of the responsible adult club. I never had three to six months' cash on hand until I sold my last house and moved to cheaper digs. For the most part, if I was short, I cut my spending; when I was laid off, I got another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships