Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:16 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,785,461 times

Advertisements

This woman lost her eldest child, a son of 32, in February. He died under mysterious circumstances. Drugs have been ruled out. Murder has not.

We met in NYC when we were in our early 20s. We were from very different backgrounds and our lives went in diifferent directions.

She became a single mother of three. She is on disability and lives in subsidised housing.

Before you judge her, she is kind to a fault. She remembers my birthday every year and sends me some little trinket and a card.

I have not been so faithful.

This Mother's Day is certainly going to be difficult for her.

I want to send her a gift. I think she could use money, but I feel strange sending that.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 04:37 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,464,910 times
Certainly send her a card or note. Perhaps you can send her a gift card since she does send you something yearly.

The note inside can reference the difficult year she's had and how much you value her friendship.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:40 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,362,002 times
Send a card that simply lets her know that you are thinking of her. I wouldn't press much more, some folks like to be alone in their thoughts....but simply a supportive card would be appreciated. You might add that you are available if she wants to call.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Send a card that simply lets her know that you are thinking of her. I wouldn't press much more, some folks like to be alone in their thoughts....but simply a supportive card would be appreciated. You might add that you are available if she wants to call.
Jan, I have been very available for her by phone, and I've sent several cards.

She is not one of those people who likes to be alone when she is sad, and I will not really be available on Mother's Day. She is very emotionally labile. Usually she is tearful when she calls.

She's very sentimental and does not have a good support system.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 28 days ago)

36,188 posts, read 18,458,915 times
I wonder if you could see her on a day prior to Mother's Day?

Are her living children planning to celebrate Mother's Day with her?

Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,388,135 times
As long as she has other children a card is ok. I lost my only son a few years ago & that first Mother's day was horrible for me. Thankfully my friends & family understood & left me alone that day.

Next year will be easier for her.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I live in Ohio and she lives in Seattle. I have plans in Ohio with my family.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

As far as the other children, she has one. I *think* she will be seeing her.

The saddest part is that her daughter-in-law has left town with her grandkids. Her late son's kids.
They were in the process of a divorce and were living appart when he was found.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 PM

15,712 posts, read 15,886,710 times
Are you close enough to visit?

If you do send a card - not a pre-printed one.

You know, if you think she needs money, here is a completely different idea. Apart from whatever you do now, at Christmas time, write her that you're a little embarrassed that she's been so good at remembering you over the years, so you are now sending her a gift certificate. Then send her a gift certificate (or two) for something very specific, like Whole Foods or Saks Fifth Avenue.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:42 PM

51,755 posts, read 26,087,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This woman lost her eldest child, a son of 32, in February. He died under mysterious circumstances. Drugs have been ruled out. Murder has not.

We met in NYC when we were in our early 20s. We were from very different backgrounds and our lives went in diifferent directions.

She became a single mother of three. She is on disability and lives in subsidised housing.

Before you judge her, she is kind to a fault. She remembers my birthday every year and sends me some little trinket and a card.

I have not been so faithful.

This Mother's Day is certainly going to be difficult for her.

I want to send her a gift. I think she could use money, but I feel strange sending that.

What would you do?
I would send her a gift card to a restaurant nearby that you think she would like. If you can afford it, make it large enough that she could bring a friend.

On a limited income with a limited support system, eating out is a treat. If it were me, I would appreciate the opportunity to get out the house and away from the reminders even for an hour or two.

Also a nice long phone call. Just let her talk about him. If she wants.

My heart goes out to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships