Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:32 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

We had a new neighbor down the street say the same thing. He did not want people walking dogs past his house to allow them to pee on the grass strip between the street and sidewalk. I told him that is not his property. He did not believe me and called the town. He of course was told that he was wrong so he never said another word about it. I will say though I try to be respectful of other people so I do not let our dogs stop in front of his house on walks. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
I live in a small city. We have trees that have brick borders around them with mulch on the sidewalk. In my neighborhood people plant flowers around the trees in the little bordered area to spruce things up. These trees are not on anyone's property-- they are on city property-- so technically we shouldn't do anything to them but it makes the place look nice. None of us have front yards. Its usually very pretty.

One of my neighbors down the street is a older retired Naval Officer who seems to believe that the street is his ship and he is the captain. The other day as I was running an errand I noticed him angrily confronting a woman who was walking her dog because he was sniffing the flowers in one of these bordered areas in front of this guy's house. The dog did not appear to be doing anything but sniffing and the man accused her of having her dog poo "on his property". The woman said her dog was not pooping, that he was well trained and that this was not his property but city property, and the man threatened her with a lawsuit, yelling about "people who don't have pride of ownership like I do" and how his wife planted those flowers. The whole thing was absurd as the woman has a right to walk her dog AND this guy doesn't own the property he was complaining about.

He has demanded that we move our car from in front of our house (street parking) because he wanted to park his huge SUV in his space (again, street parking, metered. This is not HIS space. He has a space behind his house, but likes to park in front of ours) and interfered with a city yard sale because he didn't want people walking by his house. He actually threatened people if they didn't cross the street instead of passing his door. Its really gotten to be a problem.

Any ideas on how to deal with someone like this? He definitely has anger issues and is never polite but always confrontational and a hair shy of threatening when he approaches.
Invite him over for dinner.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
First off, advise your neighbor to restrain her stinking dog. That goes for any other neighbors who permit their dogs to "smell the roses" on any property other than their own. Dogs don't take pleasure in sniffing flowers. They sniff out places to pee and poop.

After that, just leave the guy alone. Every neighborhood has a grouch. So what? Why do people of today think they have to do something about people who irritate them?

Grow a thicker skin. The guy isn't hurting anybody.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:25 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
This guy sounds like someone to be left alone. You don't want to know if he owns a gun.
You already know that he does own a gun...more a question of how many and what kind.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Someone repped me with a reminder that street parking is first come, first served. OP, if your neighbor has off street parking do you as well?

As far as all the bizarre comments about this neighbor and the medical diagnosis being presumed....I find it ludicrous.

He had every right to ask the dog walker to keep it moving.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 AM

18,068 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Neighbors like this need to be ignored. If you're not doing anything wrong, not impinging on his property, then pretend he doesn't exist. Other neighbors need to fight their own battles with him. If there's a HOA then people can contact the head of that association if they are having an issue with the guy. If he's threatening you, or you personally witness him threatening someone, contact the police.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Just yell "Oorah" at him whenever you see him.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Stay out of this man's way, and off his radar. He is ex-military, so knows how to use weapons, and very likely has some. He's also irritable, looking for a fight. Let him go insane on someone other than you. Stay as far away from him as you possibly can.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Playing devils advocate, a few things could be going on here....

1. I've seen a lot of dogs or should I say, people who own dogs, walking them, and when their dogs poo they simply leave it there for someone else to clean up or walk thru. I used to have a neighbor, who walked her dog, loose, no collar, no leash and he always peed on my rose bushes and killed them. I yelled at her to...but she just didn't care...I had no alternative but to plant grass...

so you need to see both sides of this...while any dog may be well trained, if it's got to poo, it's going to stop and poo, regardless....thing is, we've got to be respectful of each other and clean it up.

2. The old guy might have Alzheimer's Disease &/or Dementia and some do get nasty when that happens.

3. You've had several good points here, just depends on what your willing to do...meaning, keep a log, dates, times, and jot down the experience with him...and keep it, in case you ever have the need to call police.

Does he live alone? Does he ever have company? Maybe he's simply just an angry old man...who needs attention and the only attention he knows how to get, is negative?

Did you try asking him why he gets so upset and yells at people? Maybe he sees more going on than you do, and it's upsetting him?

As far as the parking, he is wrong...

on the other hand, the man has lived by a strong set of rules all his life, and it most likely upsets him when others do not...so...keep in mind that even though he's wrong, something more must be going on....

maybe he's very lonely?

Doesn't make him right, I'm just pointing out some things....Good Luck

Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
I live in a small city. We have trees that have brick borders around them with mulch on the sidewalk. In my neighborhood people plant flowers around the trees in the little bordered area to spruce things up. These trees are not on anyone's property-- they are on city property-- so technically we shouldn't do anything to them but it makes the place look nice. None of us have front yards. Its usually very pretty.

One of my neighbors down the street is a older retired Naval Officer who seems to believe that the street is his ship and he is the captain. The other day as I was running an errand I noticed him angrily confronting a woman who was walking her dog because he was sniffing the flowers in one of these bordered areas in front of this guy's house. The dog did not appear to be doing anything but sniffing and the man accused her of having her dog poo "on his property". The woman said her dog was not pooping, that he was well trained and that this was not his property but city property, and the man threatened her with a lawsuit, yelling about "people who don't have pride of ownership like I do" and how his wife planted those flowers. The whole thing was absurd as the woman has a right to walk her dog AND this guy doesn't own the property he was complaining about.

He has demanded that we move our car from in front of our house (street parking) because he wanted to park his huge SUV in his space (again, street parking, metered. This is not HIS space. He has a space behind his house, but likes to park in front of ours) and interfered with a city yard sale because he didn't want people walking by his house. He actually threatened people if they didn't cross the street instead of passing his door. Its really gotten to be a problem.

Any ideas on how to deal with someone like this? He definitely has anger issues and is never polite but always confrontational and a hair shy of threatening when he approaches.
Do passive-aggressive things to trigger that dipstick. Just because he's a veteran, it doesn't excuse his dishonorable behavior. Stand your ground and tell him to eat poo-poo. If he assaults and/or batters you, you have won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships