Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:21 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,144,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Your life will change once you meet “the right one”. How do you know she’s the right one? People told me you will know once you meet her which, for an engineer, this is a very frustrating thing to understand because there are no objective, quantifiable metric to “determine “ she’s the “right one”. But speaking from personal experience, I must say they were right.

But being an engineer is actually very desirable as a marriage material;

1). She doesn’t have to worry about you cheat on her. Your definition of cheating is to lie about where you’ve been so you can spend extra few hours at the office or laboratory

2). You are highly competitive so it will be easy for your wife to get you to do the house work you don’t want to do. She just have to say that’s okay I’ll Joe next door to fix this because he’s SMART!

3). Best of all, you will produce intelligent, socially awkward, children who will probably begin to earn an income before they lose their virginities. You won’t need to worry about them getting into trouble, hanging out with wrong crowds growing up, except maybe hacking into government computers.
This post is just full of s*it. Made me laugh though... at the posters mind set...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Your life will change once you meet “the right one”. How do you know she’s the right one? People told me you will know once you meet her which, for an engineer, this is a very frustrating thing to understand because there are no objective, quantifiable metric to “determine “ if she’s the “right one”. But speaking from personal experience, I must say they were right.

But being an engineer is actually very desirable as a marriage material;

1). She doesn’t have to worry about you cheat on her. Your definition of cheating is to lie about where you’ve been so you can spend extra few hours at the office or laboratory

2). You are highly competitive so it will be easy for your wife to get you to do the house work you don’t want to do. She just have to say that’s okay I’ll ask Joe next door to fix this because he’s SMART!

3). Best of all, you will produce intelligent, socially awkward, children who will probably begin to earn an income before they lose their virginities. You won’t need to worry about them getting into trouble, hanging out with wrong crowds growing up, except maybe hacking into government computers.
More peddling of stereotypes about engineers.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,704,565 times
Houston has a lot to offer. Look into socializing - Volunteering and getting involved. Make sure to visit the Houston thread and check where to live and what the city has to offer. You'll be surprised how diverse the city is.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM

1,047 posts, read 731,849 times
Default ok

I agree w other posters (but I am female) being an engineer is a great job and highly respected. I don't know how you got the wrong impression. We have enough people getting social work degrees. You did great! And if you keep going to churches you will find the one you are comfortable w and with out thinking - may meet a female friend. Just bc you have ABS doesn't mean you cannot be a man of integrity and solid character. You just need to work harder

Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,276,594 times
The fact that you are posting about whether you can be single and happy suggests that you doubt it and that you need affirmation. I wouldn't write yourself off so young.

You mentioned that you are a conservative Christian along with a host of related restraints on your life which further complicate you meeting someone. Is there any reason you wouldn't want to try to meet a woman at church who shares your values?

Also, do you really know yourself all that well?

First you say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I also have borderline Asperger's, so I never had many friends, which are hard to make anyways in materialistic, fast-paced Southern California. After 20 years of living in SoCal, I still feel like an outsider.
Then you're very first goal in life is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
1. Career and Money. Work hard, invest hard, and save up for retirement. Build a solid career, rise up the corporate ladder, design better technology. The joy of knowing you're rich, well-accomplished and well-respected in your field, and helping others with your money and mentoring, should more than compensate for the joy of a spouse.
I realize you were trying to differentiate yourself from those materialistic SoCal people by adding you like to mentor and help others--which I don't contest. However, I'm not buying for a second that you aren't also materialistic so maybe you aren't that different.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,653,269 times
Being happy all the time is no more normal than being unhappy all the time, just to make sure we’re on the same page. It sounded to me though as if you’re saying you have to have a way of distracting yourself from being alone, otherwise you’ll be unhappy. If that is actually what you’re saying, I don’t think hobbies and career are going to help you. Those things do not replace human companionship and if being without human companionship makes you unhappy, then it is best to address that issue head on.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,042,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
DH tells the engineer joke like this:

The engineer tells his wife he's with his mistress, tells his mistress he's with his wife, then he goes to his laboratory.

(And yes, he's an engineer.)

Old 04-16-2018, 12:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,015,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
This post is just full of s*it. Made me laugh though... at the posters mind set...

LOL... what a bunch of crock. If that's all you can say, you obviously do not hang around engineers.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

It's a stereotype "joke" for a very good reason. It underlines the benefits of being an Engineer. You obviously do not hang around engineers/ hi-tech professionals. If you do, you'd get the joke.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
DH tells the engineer joke like this:

The engineer tells his wife he's with his mistress, tells his mistress he's with his wife, then he goes to his laboratory.

(And yes, he's an engineer.)

THANK YOU !!

You got it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships