Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,688,415 times

Advertisements

What's stopping you from saying: "Hey - from now on, we go 'Dutch'" - I know men don't use that term but just say from now on you will each pay for your own stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,198,681 times
You said: "Things were fine until I started going out for drinks and food with him."

So I guess you enjoyed the things you did with him that didn't involve drinks and food. Why not go back to doing those things?

It seems pretty clear he doesn't have the money to pay for food and drinks, and believes or knows that you do have the money. (As you said, you can "easily afford" it) so I think this will be the norm from now on since it's already happened a few times. I think all you can do is try to go back to the activities that don't involve food and drink for a while to get back to how things used to be, where you're not opening your wallet.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 PM

23,502 posts, read 19,210,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxField View Post
So I made a new friend who moved to my town recently. He's going through a transitional period in his life and seems to be struggling financially. We have a lot in common and we hit it off instantly. He almost always initiates contact and asks me to hangout with him.

Things were fine until I started going out for drinks and food with him. He always asks me to cover up for him which I don't mind. What pisses me off is that when I get something for like 10 dollars he would go on and order several items, costing me at least 100 with no remorse at all. This happened on two occasions. And the last time we hung out, he asked me to buy him a drink, which I agreed to thinking that he would pay for the other items he had ordered, but he left without paying for anything.

Now the money isn't the problem for me because it's something I can easily afford. But if there's one thing I hate it's being taken advantage of. And knowing that maybe this person doesn't enjoy my company at all and probably befriended me for my money.

I really like this person and enjoy his company. But at the same time I don't want a user in my life. I would really like you advice on this. Should I see if this happens for the third time, or should I drop him now? What would be the best way do it?
With the best intentions you've set the stage for both of you. If you want that to change, you'll have to change the script. He certainly may be short on funds, but that's no excuse to take advantage of you. HE needs to be honest about that.

The next time he asks to go out, you need to test the waters in some way as was suggested. Go someplace that doesn't involve paying for anything. Go someplace less expensive (so neither of you are embarrassed if he can't pay his share) and say "OK, but we split the check 50/50." Say you don't have a lot of cash on you. Don't bring your cc. Whatever it takes. If he questions you about this, be honest. If he wants to be up front about it he'll accept it. If not, he'll probably turn on you and be gone.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,556,907 times
Gross. What the hell kind of a person does that? If I knew I couldn't afford something, or that someone would have to "cover for me", I'd get the cheapest thing on the menu. Or not go out at all . This guy's trying to live the good life on your dime. I agree with those who suggested you take no more than $10 and see what he does.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,832,172 times
with friends like that you don't need enemies.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 18,153,820 times
Gee, OP, have you ever said to him, "Can you please pay for your own items?"

Honestly, I think so many problems could be solved if people, you know, just ASKED. Instead, we are somehow afraid of offending ... what, someone who is using us to the tune of hundreds of dollars (or more?!)? OP, seriously, what is keeping you from ASKING him about this?!!

Old 12-30-2017, 02:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,249,940 times
Quote:
So I made a new friend who moved to my town recently. He's going through a transitional period in his life and seems to be struggling financially. We have a lot in common and we hit it off instantly. He almost always initiates contact and asks me to hangout with him.....

I really like this person and enjoy his company. But at the same time I don't want a user in my life. I would really like you advice on this. Should I see if this happens for the third time, or should I drop him now? What would be the best way do it?
First, I would tell him straight out that paying for drinks when you go out while he is trying to get on his feet is OK. But not food, unless you invite him for a meal.

Second, see how it goes with him "getting on his feet," some people never seem to make it. If two or three months after he gets settled into a job he is still always expecting you to pay his drink tab, then I'd start being unavailable for at least fifty percent of his let's-go-out calls.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,418,590 times
Quote:
He always asks me to cover up for him which I don't mind.
You do mind or you wouldn't be posting.

I foolishly picked up the tab twice for someone I thought was struggling.

There are users out there that will take advantage of nice people.

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
What kind of place does this guy live in and how does he pay his rent/bills if he's unemployed? Does he have ANY money at all?

Everyone said what I was thinking at first, (a user) and still do think he's a user, but then I also started to wonder if he was hungry and hadn't eaten for a day or two... or more.

If so, what he could have and should have ordered was a cheaper meal of fries and a burger. He ran up a $100 bill, so how many drinks DID he order and was he eating shrimp and and expensive cut of steak?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,295,672 times
Quote:
So I made a new friend who moved to my town recently. He's going through a transitional period in his life and seems to be struggling financially. We have a lot in common and we hit it off instantly. He almost always initiates contact and asks me to hangout with him.

Things were fine until I started going out for drinks and food with him. He always asks me to cover up for him which I don't mind. What pisses me off is that when I get something for like 10 dollars he would go on and order several items, costing me at least 100 with no remorse at all. This happened on two occasions. And the last time we hung out, he asked me to buy him a drink, which I agreed to thinking that he would pay for the other items he had ordered, but he left without paying for anything.

Now the money isn't the problem for me because it's something I can easily afford. But if there's one thing I hate it's being taken advantage of. And knowing that maybe this person doesn't enjoy my company at all and probably befriended me for my money.

This is not a friend....This is someone who recognizes you as a "mark" Someone who allows him/herself to be used.

Simply stop answering his calls.

Ask yourself. Why on earth would anyone allow themselves to be used like this? Clearly you recognize that you are being used. Why would you continue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships