Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 PM

25,092 posts, read 11,493,415 times

Advertisements

I try to be ready about an hour out. Platters, ... on the ready, food in (if possible disposable containers) in the fridge, dishwasher empty. Time for a glas of wine for the unpaid hired help, a shower und 20 minutes to look presentable. A really early bird? Come on in, make yourself at home, here is a glas of wine and the remote to the IPod - you are in charge of back ground music, the cats enjoy getting to know you - see you in 20.

You want to tell me how to make deviled eggs (not my thing) - here is an apron. I will be watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM

52,510 posts, read 53,095,501 times
Other than politely ask to not show up early not sure what more we can do. I'll never show up early or even on time. A few minutes up to 15 is fine, especially if being a bit late isn't an impact. I think that's the only time to be a bit late and be ok is showing up for casual parties or get togethers.

Most people tend to run late when setting up a party so having a little buffer probably helps the host out some.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,968,263 times
This is one of my pet peeves. We used to throw a lot of parties, and there was always that one person or couple who came early. Don't they realize that you are trying to get organized and that they are in the way ? You are trying to work, and they want to be entertained.

The kindest thing anyone who is invited to a party can do is show up a half hour late. It is simply being considerate to the person throwing the party.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM

11,042 posts, read 7,602,286 times
It's an outdoor party, but I can leave the gate closed. Sadly, the pushy people that come early will just open the gate. (I'm talking about the deviled egg lady--I don't like her, but my husband does, and it's his birthday). Maybe I'll dig out a padlock for the gate. I suspect she'll climb over, and lecture me about hospitality. I think I'll poison her drink. (joking)

We like to jump in the pool to cool off before the party (that's what I meant by "shower"). Nothin' like being caught skinny dipping to kick off a party!

Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 27 days ago)

36,166 posts, read 18,448,460 times
I agree, that is ANNOYING. Unless you've asked them to bring something, and they're a close enough friend to actually help out rather than being a burden, it's rude. And completely clueless about the impact they have on the host.

I've only had it done to me a very small handful of times, but I've now learned to leave the "pretty" stuff til last, so it would be fun to do with someone. An hour ahead of time, I've already showered and dressed and done makeup, scrubbed toilets, swept, done the heavy cooking that involves mixers and blenders, etc.

Then what's left is the pretty stuff. Opening wine bottles, arranging glasses and plates, lighting candles, arranging the fruit platter, etc.

I did have a friend back in the day who threw a "tacky party", where you had to dress tacky and one funny guy arrived a half hour early and parked in the yard. He clearly won. ;D

Old 07-27-2017, 04:55 PM

11,556 posts, read 12,118,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's an outdoor party, but I can leave the gate closed. Sadly, the pushy people that come early will just open the gate. (I'm talking about the deviled egg lady--I don't like her, but my husband does, and it's his birthday). Maybe I'll dig out a padlock for the gate. I suspect she'll climb over, and lecture me about hospitality. I think I'll poison her drink. (joking)

We like to jump in the pool to cool off before the party (that's what I meant by "shower"). Nothin' like being caught skinny dipping to kick off a party!
Just don't answer the door for the early bird invitee.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,019,053 times
Quote:
seems like every time we have a party, at least one person shows up about half an hour early.

We've been working all day to have the house and food ready, and that last 30 minutes is when we take showers, get dressed, relax a bit, finish last-minute stuff.

But when someone shows up, all that is interrupted and I often don't get to do my makeup or finish the appetizers.

I've tried putting them to work (which doesn't seem hospitable to me), but one woman insisted the way I was filling the deviled eggs was wrong and gave me a whole lecture on the "right" way, without lifting a finger to help.

How do you handle this?
When hosting a party...just put in the invites to not come 30 minutes early but close to the suggested time.Also did you let that woman take over making the deviled eggs?Maybe you could have then taking that quick shower.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,358,632 times
Quote:
seems like every time we have a party, at least one person shows up about half an hour early.

We've been working all day to have the house and food ready, and that last 30 minutes is when we take showers, get dressed, relax a bit, finish last-minute stuff.

But when someone shows up, all that is interrupted and I often don't get to do my makeup or finish the appetizers.

I've tried putting them to work (which doesn't seem hospitable to me), but one woman insisted the way I was filling the deviled eggs was wrong and gave me a whole lecture on the "right" way, without lifting a finger to help.

How do you handle this?
Time management is key.

Generally when someone is expecting company the last half hour shouldn't be spent taking your shower.

Perhaps since you know this always happens....move your time frame so that you are done prepping, done showering and are relaxing. This will make your evening more enjoyable.

At least one of you should be ready to greet your guests.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 PM

52,510 posts, read 53,095,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Time management is key.

Generally when someone is expecting company the last half hour shouldn't be spent taking your shower.

Perhaps since you know this always happens....move your time frame so that you are done prepping, done showering and are relaxing. This will make your evening more enjoyable.

At least one of you should be ready to greet your guests.

She's talking about someone showing up 30 minutes early. What difference does it make in terms of showering or not, as long as someone is ready at the stated time to arrive that's the idea. Not having to add 30 minutes in front of the time because of some rude person decided to show up early.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,125,337 times
Quote:
Probably best not to go skinny dipping when you're expecting guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships