Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times

Advertisements

Apparently my father laughed through his whole wedding ceremony....couldn't stop...it's what he does when he's nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 04:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
lots of people have nervous ticks/behavior..

one of the strangest/funniest at the time,,,yes I shouldn't have laughed was from a woman..
that would hiss like a cat when she was nervous.....

I met her for the first time...did a proper handshake and she hissed at me...
my god I was speechless,,,im thinking this woman is brilliant.....she makes every man she meets very awkward.

she even looked like a cat and I swear I heard her purr too..

so its just not laughter .....when people are nervous

I met another lady that ...got all dressed to the hilt,,, and then start chewing on her hair .... kind of a nervous behavior...

I find these things quite intriguing,,,and usually alcohol will diminish these nervous ticks,,
except for the hisser...she was hissing all night

Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,369,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
ClaraC, I'm with you. I tried the laughter therapy yoga---it seemed so forced. Instead of getting a positive result, I resented having to fake laugh.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I've noticed this as well with people and it drives me crazy! I am an introvert while the majority of people are extroverts, so I'm the one who should be nervous and uneasy when encountering other people and having to deal with them. But although I am introverted, I still have social skills and I'm an adult. So I never laugh when I see other people. I try to think of something to say and if I can't, then I say nothing. I truly don't understand the mechanism of the nervous laughter. All I can think of is that it's kind of a sheepish acknowledgment that the other person feels uneasy and doesn't quite know what to say. Maybe that's where being introverted comes in handy---that we can deal with any silences.

At the gym I go to daily, I pass by acquaintances who laugh as a greeting. I never understand why they would be nervous---it shouldn't be that unexpected to see me as we are all members and they know I am friendly because we have talked or said hello previously.

I used to host Meetup dinners where strangers would come. Some would look like a deer caught in headlights and had bonafide social anxiety, so I could understand that and try to help ease their discomfort. But when it's someone I have already met and it's not unexpected to see each other, I will not reciprocate the laughter because I don't feel uneasy and it would be as fake as the laughter therapy kind (and wouldn't really help the other person).

OP, that is just amazing that your SIL, who I presume you have known for years, would do the nervous laughter thing.

I am an introvert (and trust me, I am not hosting a Meetup dinner as one) and sometimes I laugh nervously about things. It's really not that hard to understand. I am not TRYING to laugh. I am not telling myself, "Laugh, because you don't know what else to do!" It's like an automatic response and not something I am controlling. If I do realize I did it, it's not until after the fact.

You do not have anxiety and/or uneasiness with your interactions, which is where this nervous laughter comes from---if someone does it, it doesn't make them less of an adult.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,798,199 times
I have severe anxiety lately due to dealing with my husband's cancer diagnosis and treatment. I cry very easily. However, I was watching a video that was hilarious one night recently and laughing so hard that I had tears. Suddenly I was bawling my head off (yet again!) It's like my body's auto-pilot just took over... "Here, let me fix that for you. You're supposed to be crying."
Subconscious response caused by the brain over-thinking. I've had the opposite happen, too. I've been crying and suddenly the whole situation seems so absurd that I will start laughing. If you witness this, it looks very much like Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. It's disconcerting, to say the least. I'm not sure I'd prefer nervous laughter over the crying at the drop of a hat, to be honest.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
I know a man who behaves just the opposite. When he should cry, he laughs. When I first saw him do this I thought he was being disrespectful towards the very sad situation at hand. But he explained that's how he reacts when most people would cry.

He's a very kind person so I know he isn't being a jerk when he does this. It just his nature to laugh at something sad. He says he feels sad even though he's laughing.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,547,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I have finally figured out that this is why people laugh at things that are not funny.
I have a good friend who after I say something, where someone else might nod, or say, uhuh, or I see, laughs loudly.
Not bec. what I said is funny.
for her laughter seems to be what she does as a pause in the conversation.
At first it was disconcerting.

My s-i-l does the same thing. She'll greet me, not with hello, but with a burst of laughter, altho nothing humorous has happened.
Humour is very subjective, what you find funny I may not and vice versa

Plus people may laugh in order to be polite as someone tells a bad joke etc

Old 05-22-2017, 03:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,713,770 times
there's also "laughing yoga".
a friend of mine used to teach it.

Laughing feels good. It is good for one physically and emotionally,

but yes, I am like you, I cannot laugh unless something is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Laughing is so interesting. There's a new "laughter therapy" where people sit and make themselves laugh. It's very rewarding apparently and causes endorphin release.

I can't do it. If something's not funny, I can't laugh.

But yes, people who laugh nervously (a real laugh, not kind of a nervous giggle) are trying to calm themselves.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:46 PM

yeah, I don't think my SIL is nervous, as in social anxiety.

I think it is a habit.

some people don't know what to say, so they laugh.
people don't like silence.
Me - I'm fine with silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
ClaraC, I'm with you. I tried the laughter therapy yoga---it seemed so forced. Instead of getting a positive result, I resented having to fake laugh.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I've noticed this as well with people and it drives me crazy! I am an introvert while the majority of people are extroverts, so I'm the one who should be nervous and uneasy when encountering other people and having to deal with them. But although I am introverted, I still have social skills and I'm an adult. So I never laugh when I see other people. I try to think of something to say and if I can't, then I say nothing. I truly don't understand the mechanism of the nervous laughter. All I can think of is that it's kind of a sheepish acknowledgment that the other person feels uneasy and doesn't quite know what to say. Maybe that's where being introverted comes in handy---that we can deal with any silences.

At the gym I go to daily, I pass by acquaintances who laugh as a greeting. I never understand why they would be nervous---it shouldn't be that unexpected to see me as we are all members and they know I am friendly because we have talked or said hello previously.

I used to host Meetup dinners where strangers would come. Some would look like a deer caught in headlights and had bonafide social anxiety, so I could understand that and try to help ease their discomfort. But when it's someone I have already met and it's not unexpected to see each other, I will not reciprocate the laughter because I don't feel uneasy and it would be as fake as the laughter therapy kind (and wouldn't really help the other person).

OP, that is just amazing that your SIL, who I presume you have known for years, would do the nervous laughter thing.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:47 PM

I think you are exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Nervous laughter isn't so much about being nervous, but is a habit that discharges excess energy that is aggravated by awkwardness felt by the person who laughs for no discernible reason. When people do this too much, I agree it is irritating. But I don't think they are aware, or mean to do harm.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:51 PM

hello, I'm sorry for your husband's diagnosis.
I hope he recovers.

I haven't been in your exact position, but I can imagine that the stress and anxiety produced would take all kind of outlets- laughing crying, whatever..

I hope you just love yourself no matter what, and give yourself permission to feel however you feel.

my best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I have severe anxiety lately due to dealing with my husband's cancer diagnosis and treatment. I cry very easily. However, I was watching a video that was hilarious one night recently and laughing so hard that I had tears. Suddenly I was bawling my head off (yet again!) It's like my body's auto-pilot just took over... "Here, let me fix that for you. You're supposed to be crying."
Subconscious response caused by the brain over-thinking. I've had the opposite happen, too. I've been crying and suddenly the whole situation seems so absurd that I will start laughing. If you witness this, it looks very much like Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. It's disconcerting, to say the least. I'm not sure I'd prefer nervous laughter over the crying at the drop of a hat, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships