Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times

Advertisements

I always thought I had a good sense of humor until recently. I have gone to a few movies that were comedies and I laughed occasionally and was amused most of the time but was shocked how often some people will just laugh constantly. Are they drunk? Are they on drugs? Or are they stupid? I always assumed people who are constantly laughing at movies are a little bit strange? Or are they trying out for a part of the laugh track for an old 1960s style comedy where they had laughter constantly?

Do you laugh often at movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I always thought I had a good sense of humor until recently. I have gone to a few movies that were comedies and I laughed occasionally and was amused most of the time but was shocked how often some people will just laugh constantly. Are they drunk? Are they on drugs? Or are they stupid? I always assumed people who are constantly laughing at movies are a little bit strange? Or are they trying out for a part of the laugh track for an old 1960s style comedy where they had laughter constantly?

We have to remember that a sense of humor differs from person to person. Something I might laugh at may not be funny at all to another person.

I laugh at subtle comedy but slap-stick is not for me.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:

This is why I stopped watching black comedies in at the movies. I remember going to see Barbershop and people acted like everything Cedric the Entertainer said was comedic gold - it was haha funny but not laugh out loud for 5 minutes funny. My whole family likes the Tyler Perry movies so we pretty go see them together - the last one Madea goes to jail was NOT funny but people were hysterically laughing through the whole movie. If I had been by myself I would have walked out. Same with Soul Men, I think people were laughing extra hard for Bernie Mac

Old 06-05-2009, 11:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Yeah, I remember people laughed at the rape scene during The Hills Have eyes..... It was a tense and uneasy moment than these dudes bust out laughing out of nowhere ruining the whole feel.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah, I remember people laughed at the rape scene during The Hills Have eyes..... It was a tense and uneasy moment than these dudes bust out laughing out of nowhere ruining the whole feel.
Were we in the same theater? A group of guys behind me were guffawing through that scene; I admit I was extremely uncomfortable.

My sense of humor is different than most and the type of 'comedies' that are churned out these days are sophmoric and dull to me.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Not only do people have different senses of humor, but films often have inside jokes directed either at those who have seen a lot of genre movies or are in the industry. Sometimes the film can also be unintentionally funny, especially if there is a stridency - a la "Reefer Madness." Further, some people react to extreme stress with laughter. The percentage of laughing sickos getting jollies is probably a lot less than it appears.

I once happened to be in an audience of the extreme liberal south Florida "in" crowd - mostly 30 somethings, alternative lifestyle, living off family wealth and upholding certain standards type of people. The film that had brought us all to the same theatre was Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine." I had found his earlier send-up of GM to be pretty good (I guess he finally was proven right on some of his points about the company), and I was curious about this film.

So anyway, I'm sitting towards the back of the crowded auditorium with my wife, and all of a sudden the scene comes up of the young man pulling a hidden arsenal out of his clothes, one weapon after another, until you think "no... he can't have another weapon" and "did he just pull that one out of his ...?!?!" Having been around guns, and knowing that such a demonstration was more practical in a magic show than reality, and suddenly realizing that Moore was repeating a schtick from an old Warner Brothers cartoon, and the audience was just sitting there seriously accepting the horror that someone could be so dangerous as to carry that many guns, I burst out laughing - not just a chuckle, but a hoot and extended belly laugh.

It was hysterically funny on so many different levels, the total naiveté of the entire audience, the reminiscence of the over-the-top cartoons of childhood, the knowledge that the kid couldn't have walked more than a foot at the start of the routine without ferting bullets, and the pandering that Moore was doing while at the same time laughing at his audience (Moore is an NRA member, for whatever reason, and is not unfamiliar with guns).

When I began laughing, it got even more funny because all of a sudden I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea. Every head in the audience near me was straining to get as far away from my laughing as possible. That just made me laugh all the harder, until tears were coming out of my eyes.

From that point on in the movie, I was viewed as the pariah, and frankly I didn't care. Not one person dared to come up to me and ask me why I had laughed. Not one person was willing to get out of their righteous indignation to try to understand what was going on. As a whole, even with the hundreds of years of expensive education and intellect that audience represented, it was dumber than a sack of rocks and unable to see further than the sack.

So when you hear someone guffawing at a scene in a movie, do a quick check of your own preconceptions and emotional involvement in the film. You could be watching another Reefer Madness and have been hearing the one honest evaluation of the movie.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
No joke! People who laugh out loud at some of these movies are either easily entertained or totally retarded.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
No joke! People who laugh out loud at some of these movies are either easily entertained or totally retarded.
LOL I think they laugh because they think they're supposed to. My friend and I went to Steve Harvey's last tour and he told like a 17 hour pee joke and people were howling like it was the most hilarious thing they'd ever heard, So then my friend started laughing too - I guess he didn't want to feel left out.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Laughter is highly contagious. They go to a movie that is supposd to be funny because they want to laugh, and then laugh along with everyone else. Movies don't have laugh tracks, but TV invented them in the 50's, exactly for that purpose.

People seem to have a social tendency to laugh loudly enough to be heard, and more people there are laughing, the louder and more frequently each one laughs.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:29 AM

723 posts, read 1,634,476 times
I think some people want to laugh because they feel like they are getting the full experience of seeing a comedy at the theater. I don't get that way of thinking, but I know some people who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies