Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:37 PM

525 posts, read 662,730 times

Advertisements

This is the neighbor on my immediate east side. We have introduced ourselves... 3 times now? She always asks if we are new to the neighborhood. She seemed nice enough, just sort of... not very aware of the world around her.

The first time we met, a few months after we moved in, she came over to our house to ask about cutting a tree that she thought was the cause of her fence leaning. I let her into the backyard, showed that we have a double fence line (our fence, her fence) and the cause of her fence leaning is because she has a crappy fence. I told her I would have my yard guy trim back one tree limb that was touching her fence, but the fence is falling over because her posts were never sunk in concrete. Our fence is fine. This was over a year ago now.

This morning we heard and saw some people in her backyard cutting down trees on her fence line, then start to work on the fence. Then I looked in my backyard (I think I heard voices) and there are 2 guys IN MY BACKYARD with a chainsaw. I went out there and confronted them. They were very apologetic, but also confused. "I spoke to the homeowner and he said it was ok". I said no one had talked to US. And they guy said, "but they said they did... The man said his wife had talked to you about the fence."

Are you kidding me? A conversation over a year ago about tree limbs and fence lines and somehow that was a blanket invitation for these people to send whoever they want INTO my backyard to do WHATEVER?

Just now I caught these guys attaching her crappy leaning fence posts to our fence. I told them anything left attached to my fence will be cut loose and that better not be their permanent solution to her crappy fence.

I'm so tempted to go over there and give this woman a piece of my mind... But I'm so angry I know that I won't be kind.

She also ALWAYS uses our driveway to turn around so her car is facing the correct way. She could drive around the block, but no, she uses our driveway. Every evening. Drives my dog batty and I hate the headlights lighting up my den. Tempted to put in road spikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 01:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,261,289 times
Be civil and direct. Have another talk with your neighbor about these issues before it escalates any further.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:07 PM

525 posts, read 662,730 times
Yeah I'm trying to cajole my very passive and kind husband into doing the civil and direct thing, because I am often too direct. He is just as annoyed, but apt to just hope nothing else happens.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:16 PM

761 posts, read 606,871 times
Move

Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,346,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Move
Disregard this advice.
The next round of neighbors could be worse.

Dealt with the problem instead.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:25 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Put up "No Trespassing" signs in your yard and by your driveway. If worse comes to worst, have a gate installed. That's expensive, of course. Maybe you could have some obstacle nearby that you could move into place after you're parked in your driveway for the evening; a large log, for example.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:06 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,953,456 times
call the city building inspectors out.. let them do the dirty work for you.. Be sure you have your survey stakes in place and your paperwork to show the inspectors .. also check zoning ordiances about the fence .. protect yourself first..

Old 04-22-2017, 05:15 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,059,889 times
It's not worth escalating a situation with the neighbors. Can make for very unpleasant day to day annoyances.

BTDT.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
These are very inconsiderate people....certainly not good neighbors given the fence situation. You don't gain anything letting these type people get away with such blatant disrespect for your property.

I'd confront them about the workmen, and I would be very direct about what they told the workmen to do and what your response was to the workmen.

I'd also tell her to stop using your driveway as her personal turn around. Maybe put up a post on either side of your driveway entrance, with a heavy chain, til she gets the hint.

I do not blame you for being po'd. You have every right, glad you were home.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,763,579 times
JanND said exactly what I would have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships