Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:29 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,350,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
And wash your hands after you use the bathroom.
I remember working at a really fancy law firm ......in the restroom women would come out of the stall, check their makeup, and walk out! They were dressed in designer outfits but after using the toilet not a drop of soap/water. eeewww I don't even want to think about the men's room. ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:37 PM

235 posts, read 435,756 times
All these rules apply, but what if you're tired of being an adult. I've decided I don't really want to be one anymore. I still follow the rules, but da--it, I've decided I'm going to have fun.

k:

Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 PM

720 posts, read 502,569 times
As the OP, I should apologize for this list. Not so much for the tips, because these are things I'd instill in my son and I'm pretty sure I don't mean him any harm (he's my son after all), but more the tone. Reading the last back, I might've come off more harsh and judgmental than I intended. This is meant to be more of a "don't you wish people would [fill in the blank]" list than a screed about how I'm better than everybody. Like my ex-wife says, big butt describes me in more ways than one. So, I'm sorry.

I do have to defend two of my suggestions, though. When I talk about leaving gaps in traffic, I'm not talking about in the way they teach you in driver's ed, where they say you should be able to see the rear bumper and/or the tires of the vehicle in front of you. That's not a huge deal. What I'm talking about is leaving a car length or more in front of you which effectively backs up traffic whether you're a stop light or on the highway. Being safe is one thing, but very often I see people doing this because they're otherwise distracted. It's the same as when you encounter someone driving too slow on the highway and when you go to pass them you realize they're on their cell phone. I'm not saying it's better to speed, but detached, distracted drivers don't necessarily equal safe and cautious drivers.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrocker View Post
\As for your point in contract via texting, I don't think anyone can really exchange properties via text? LOL, WTF.
What I mean is, if someone owes you something, if you're buying something, if you're selling something, if you're picking something up or dropping something off that has value -- meaning, you could wind up in court over it -- it's probably not a good idea to flex out any significant details via text message.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:02 AM

1,347 posts, read 949,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
What I'm talking about is leaving a car length or more in front of you which effectively backs up traffic whether you're a stop light or on the highway. Being safe is one thing, but very often I see people doing this because they're otherwise distracted.
I actually figured this is what you meant, and I agree with you. There is no need to leave a car length or more between you and the vehicle in front of you when you are stopped at a light. I see this all the time and find it especially egregious in turn lanes, because it backs up traffic to the point that people who want to go straight can't proceed in their own lane because the turn lane is backed up (b/c people are leaving large gaps between themselves and the car in front of them) so people who want to turn are now stopped in the straight lane.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,691,079 times
Have a good sense of humor or develop one. You're really gonna need it to get through life! Don't take things so personal. People may be having a bad day or bad week or bad life. Move on and relax about it. I agree w/ another poster--keep your mouth shut more and listen more than you talk. Don't give advise even if people ask for it, they really don't want it and won't take it anyways. Be grateful for the small things in life. The big things are out of our control although we'd like to think they aren't.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:52 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,350,380 times
Be on time or a few minutes early.

Allow the other person to finish before you start talking.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,110,016 times
Good question. It has kind of evolved into the standard, "what are your pet peeves," versus "tips on being an adult," which in my mind is different. As someone else said, l too am well into adulthood, but I appreciate hearing other's perspectives.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,167,047 times
keep 3 ft distance from others
wash daily, clean shave, clean pressed clothes,
pay all the bills on time, carry no credit card debt,
treat everyone equal and fair, and dont settle for less than you give. dont look down on people, nor look up to them as a god,
follow the 10 commandments as good as you can, as well as read the proverbs if possible, for some good philosophy,
keep yourself knowledgeable of the latest trends and technology,
max your 401k and roth ira, direct deposit is the best
,exercise and diet , (for real 30 minutes calisthenics, and some 4 miles of walking/biking 4 days a week),
vote for all elections,
live on your own! depend on yourself
learn to compromise, have patience
respect your self, getting wasted and smashed might be fun, but reserve that for yearly vacation.
hold a job or some kind of income stream

Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,110,016 times
Here is my list. Won't say I live by all of them, but it is my goal

- Get and hold a long term job (not jumping from one thing to another)
- Pay your bills on time
- Be a person of your word, have integrity
- Treat others with dignity and respect
- Be on time
- Vote in elections
- Stay aware of what is happening in he world around you
- Commit to something bigger than yourself
- Eat your vegetables (literally and figuratively)
- Learn to say "no" to yourself and others
- Maintain healthy boundaries
- Save for your future/retirement
- Know the difference between dependence, independence, and interdependence. Choose the latter
- Stand on own two feet
- Value differences
- Be comfortable with who you are, but always strive to improve

Old 02-11-2017, 11:56 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,006,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Here is my list. Won't say I live by all of them, but it is my goal

- Get and hold a long term job (not jumping from one thing to another)
- Pay your bills on time
- Be a person of your word, have integrity
- Treat others with dignity and respect
- Be on time
- Vote in elections
- Stay aware of what is happening in he world around you
- Commit to something bigger than yourself
- Eat your vegetables (literally and figuratively)
- Learn to say "no" to yourself and others
- Maintain healthy boundaries
- Save for your future/retirement
- Know the difference between dependence, independence, and interdependence. Choose the latter
- Stand on own two feet
- Value differences
- Be comfortable with who you are, but always strive to improve
How do you figuratively eat vegetables?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships