Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times

Advertisements

So we're trying to downsize, since we feel we have too much stuff that we've never used. So we put stuff up for sale on Craigslist.

We price things very reasonably, provide good photos, and are friendly. We clearly agree on a time to meet, the price, the location, and our phone numbers. We confirm the day of, and they always say they're still on to meet.

And 90% of the time, the buyer flakes. I'm not exaggerating. We've been flaked on dozens of times, and the 3 times someone actually showed up, they were all super late, and only 1 of them have actually apologized or let us know in advance.

I don't even want to bother with CL anymore, I just want to donate everything, rather than go through the ordeal of giving out our home address to dozens of strangers from the internet, lug everything out, and then wait eons for them, contacting them to ask if they're having trouble finding the place, only to hear nothing from them, and then finally give up after an hour of waiting for them.

Why do people do this? I'm beyond finished with Craigslist, and I've been done for a long time, but my husband keeps trying, and I'm trying to tell him that our time is more valuable than the stuff we're selling, and I'd rather donate to the Salvation Army, so that people who truly need things can have them, rather than weed through flake after flake after flake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times
Not sure where you are located, but are there any consignment shops in your area?

There are several where I live. They'll pick up your stuff for a fee and give you a percentage if they sell.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Maybe you set your expectations too high.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
I think they don't show because they realize that they probably really don't need that item. Sort of like pre -buyers remorse or maybe you're just located too far away from them. Regardless, they should call and cancel. It's the right thing to do.

That used to happen to me when I'd post on Freecycle too. I would wait for a person because they were the first to respond and really wanted it, and then they'd flake on me.

Now I just post it on CL in the free section and say..

first one here get's it. Will not hold.

Things get taken very quickly.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Not sure where you are located, but are there any consignment shops in your area?

There are several where I live. They'll pick up your stuff for a fee and give you a percentage if they sell.
Good idea. I'll definitely look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Maybe you set your expectations too high.
It's expecting too much that someone show up when they say they will, or at least text to cancel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I think they don't show because they realize that they probably really don't need that item. Sort of like pre -buyers remorse or maybe you're just located too far away from them. Regardless, they should call and cancel. It's the right thing to do.

That used to happen to me when I'd post on Freecycle too. I would wait for a person because they were the first to respond and really wanted it, and then they'd flake on me.

Now I just post it on CL in the free section and say..

first one here get's it. Will not hold.

Things get taken very quickly.
Thanks, I'll try to convince hubby to go the Salvation Army route, they'll pick up everything at once.

I totally understand if someone changes their mind, but for some reason, people won't even bother to notify him in advance (he handles it, since I'm too fed up with it lol), which just seems like common sense to me.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:08 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I have had a lot of success with craigslist. I have purchased some great items and sold some items myself. I did give it up after a particularly bad experience the last time and it added to the toll of the previous crap I endured. I got to the point where it made more sense to me to donate the items and claim it on my taxes vs the hassle of selling it. I had the same, people that didn't show up, try to talk me way down on an item, rude behavior, send me repeated emails asking the same questions and finally the last straw when a woman stole an item out of my garage.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I've had the same problem. But I've only ever given things away for free on Craigslist. Or at least tried to! I always receive intense interest in my things, but people fail to show up and pick it up from Craigslist. A few times, random people driving by have come and asked to take the items off of my hands, and I've been glad to have them do so.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
My gripe are selling who don't respond to your inquiries in a reasonable time and don't delete the item when it's sold, they just start ignoring everybody. Both are wrong. If you put something up for sale, you should be replying quickly to inquiries as best you can, if having your phone on you so you can do this annoys you, then don't sell anything. Then, once it's sold, delete the ad, that's a quick way of letting everyone know that your item is sold.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
The problem with Craigslist is two-fold:

1) There's no cost to use it, so buyers who flake have nothing to lose, and
2) There are no consequences to flaking. You can't get someone "banned" for being a jerk.

Around here (Silicon Valley), I've found that no one will respond if the item isn't free. And sometimes not even then.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
Lots of scammers using Craigslist. On both ends. Be aware, it's not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships