Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:46 AM

7,954 posts, read 8,267,475 times

Advertisements

I think most people would feel indifferent towards Chad.

He would be a hard person to befriend because he is very selective about who he shows his real personality to. And because he stays to himself, most people may find him boring and aloof.

At the same time it's hard to believe that any reasonable and rational person could dislike Chad because he stays to himself and is not out there harming, annoying or offending people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:54 AM

11,318 posts, read 9,957,285 times
I would love it if my FB friends and family took lessons from Chad. I don't like reading that people that I know and love support "crazy" causes or politicians. I don't put my beliefs out there because they are just that, mine. There are plenty of other things in this world to talk about that don't include polarizing topics. I will say that my personal opinions of some of my own family's intelligence have been challenged by this election cycle. When people repost or "share" some political articles or memes from questionable sources I filter those with the options provided on FB to hide posts from this "news" source, without actually hiding all the posts from that individual. I do want to know what's going on in their lives, but maybe I don't need to know what's going on in their heads, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,427,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Let's invent a guy called Chad. Chad has a Facebook profile which he doesn't use very often. He never talks about religion, politics, feminism, gay rights, abortion or other sensitive issues, online or offline. He's always polite and courteous, but never crosses the line from acquaintance to true friendship on his own initiative. You likely have no clue what Chad's views are on any important issue. Would you like him, dislike him, or ignore him?

Chad is in his 30s, married w/o kids.

You just described the folks everyone likes and thinks angelic. Why? Because they know how to keep their traps shut. They have a way of making every person think they agree with anything they happen to believe--although inside they probably actually hold opposite opinion.

Those folks are wise, and they never seem to find themselves in deep doo-doo. They are often very quickly patted on the back for being so nice--even if they aren't. But who knows that, because they never say anything?! LOL!

Brilliant! Now, if I could only bring myself to do likewise.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:52 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,438,004 times
I clicked on this thread because the title was interesting to me, but after reading the OP I see that it is about social media. I VERY much prefer when people don't share much on social media. I don't care what you ate last Friday night, that you're feeling under the weather, or that your goldfish died. Want to post a significant life event? Great. Even a vacation photo or two would be fine. But I don't need you to live blog your existence.

Now, as for what I thought this thread was about- I dislike people who are difficult to talk to in person and share very little. It's annoying when you go to the office or to a friend's house and you meet an individual who just cannot hold a conversation for the life of him/her. There is a standard discourse in a public situation that makes life easier to get through- talk about the weather if you have to, but ideally the individual would say something interesting about anything.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,243,345 times
I don't use Facebook..

However, in real life, regarding those who reveal little, let's just say I was taught early on to be skeptical of 2 things: people with a forelock; and more pertinent here, "quiet people" or introverts that I encountered in everyday life. The latter turned out to be very good advice. All too often these "quiet" people have had ulterior motives, just like I was warned. One such person destroyed a very profitable business venture and we all paid dearly.

Also, never lay a hat on a bed (they told me that too, but that's for another discussion).

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 02-29-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 PM

3,769 posts, read 6,787,027 times
Quote:
Let's invent a guy called Chad. Chad has a Facebook profile which he doesn't use very often. He never talks about religion, politics, feminism, gay rights, abortion or other sensitive issues, online or offline. He's always polite and courteous, but never crosses the line from acquaintance to true friendship on his own initiative. You likely have no clue what Chad's views are on any important issue. Would you like him, dislike him, or ignore him?

I'd like him. I tend to avoid people who are into stating their opinions on controversial subjects, especially when they become offended or judgmental when other people don't agree with them.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:09 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,267,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I clicked on this thread because the title was interesting to me, but after reading the OP I see that it is about social media. I VERY much prefer when people don't share much on social media. I don't care what you ate last Friday night, that you're feeling under the weather, or that your goldfish died. Want to post a significant life event? Great. Even a vacation photo or two would be fine. But I don't need you to live blog your existence.

Now, as for what I thought this thread was about- I dislike people who are difficult to talk to in person and share very little. It's annoying when you go to the office or to a friend's house and you meet an individual who just cannot hold a conversation for the life of him/her. There is a standard discourse in a public situation that makes life easier to get through- talk about the weather if you have to, but ideally the individual would say something interesting about anything.
It's really just this simple, talk to someone else. If you are annoyed with such a person you only have yourself to blame.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM

743 posts, read 772,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's really just this simple, talk to someone else. If you are annoyed with such a person you only have yourself to blame.
Sometimes you get stuck with them - like at a wedding for instance. I've had it happen and it's no fun.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,311,753 times
Quote:

I think that could make a person more interesting. Like they have this secret life that nobody knows about. Just one big enigma, maybe? lol

Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 PM

105 posts, read 96,826 times
nothing wrong with keeping your private life private..its refreshing, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships