Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:40 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,522,663 times

Advertisements

scubby snacks:

I am DEFINITELY NOT a hugger, but my reason will probably surprise you.

I was abused and beaten as a child. I fear ANYONE touching me, especially my back, as neck to knees back there was "fair game" for {almost daily} beatings.

When I first met MOH, MOH would wrap arms around me and hold tight, I'd jump clean out of MOH's grip!

Also, MOH had to learn TO NOT touch my back if behind me, as I'd go through the roof!

I figure a hug, a kiss, a grasp OTHER than a handshake. meant the equivalent of pain. In My mind.

It is my body's "inbred reaction" that is hard to make the body "forget".

I DO NOT hug anyone without asking first, IF I feel moved- like for consoling after a death, for instance.

I value my "personal space"and I respect OTHER's Personal space. i just wish more people would respect MINE.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,425,090 times
my family is not a touchy family, i had never got hug, kiss from my mom, my whole life. hand shake from dad.

I spend xmas with a large close family that is very touchy. I have balled up many time "quit touching me" it doesnt help

Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,289,614 times
Had no idea there were so many people who don't like getting hugs.

With the French side of my family it would take for-ever to get out of the place as kissing everyone on both cheeks was mandatory. Generally I appear aloof but I love to give and get hugs and will hug anyone, not necessarily every time I see them. I find it therapeutic and think most times they do too. Don't do bear hugs or kissing much anymore unless it's one of the kids. Shaking hands is the preferred business protocol though unless we are close.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,459,049 times
What I despise is when people in the health care professions hug you. Something about the "HEALING POWER OF TOUCH...." to my mind, it puts you in a degrading, belittled position. Especially if you actually get upset with them, for something clearly their fault, then they start patting you, rubbing you, hugging you, etc

Here's just one example----I had medical records sent to the doctor, and called to determine they actually had them. Oh, yes, they were right there in the office. Then, after about a 2-hour drive, etc, etc, got there, they didn't have them, and acted annoyed with me for expecting them to have them I was literally sent to 4 different places to find them, none had them, and then they told me I had missed my apt and would need to reschedule. I told them I was NOT making another such trip for their incompetence, I insisted THEY find those damned records and page the doctor wherever he was to come back. It was a serious matter concerning a bone infection that couldn't just be put off.

Then, the "nurse" or whatever she was, started rubbing my back and patting and hugging me, saying there, there....dealing wit all this is upsetting, we know.....I told her I did NOT want to be hugged, I wanted her to do her job, to which she responded with the standard " I was just trying to be nice" Well, treating me like a mentally deficient little kid isn't going to help anything, so, how about finding those records? Strange....she gave me a funny look, then burst out giggling, then said ok, I see your point, and got a wheelchair for me and off we went together to find the records! Turned out they were sent to dermatology, not rheumatology

But in general, look, I'm 61 years old (although I don't look a day over 60)

Recently we were at a restaurant and my order was goofed up. Usually I don't care to make complaints about minor mistakes in restaurants. We all make mistakes, waitstaff are human, my DD now works as a waitress, I woud hate for someone to be mean to her for a simple error. However, this was a big mess. I tried explaining nicely to the wait person and she starts patting me and rubbing me on the shoulder! So, I reached up and started patting and rubbing her back! Turnabout's fair play.....right

Ok, thus ends my rant for the night!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:22 AM

287 posts, read 328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Had no idea there were so many people who don't like getting hugs.

With the French side of my family it would take for-ever to get out of the place as kissing everyone on both cheeks was mandatory. Generally I appear aloof but I love to give and get hugs and will hug anyone, not necessarily every time I see them. I find it therapeutic and think most times they do too. Don't do bear hugs or kissing much anymore unless it's one of the kids. Shaking hands is the preferred business protocol though unless we are close.
I have one friend in particular who is a bear hugger. He squeezes tight and practically lifts you off your feet. That I find annoying, but I put up with him doing it because he's such a nice guy. I have another friend who is a total germaphobe. She will not shake hands, hug or even stand close to anyone- she always keeps at least three feet distance when talking to someone because the thought of her inhaling air that someone else just exhaled totally grosses her out.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:26 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,212,109 times
Not with family i'm not. Same for friends. If it's an attractive member of the opposite sex, then sure. Otherwise, i'm not a touchy feely person. Which is annoying when older people in my family-mostly my mother's side, want to hug me.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 AM

12,122 posts, read 8,516,941 times
MaryLeeII, you made me laugh. What goofiness! First you are hit with a mistake and then you are assaulted with unwanted touching. Ugh. Pay it forward!

I'm a hugging health professional (retired.) And boy, do you ever want to go slow with the urge to fling yourself upon someone to spread the health. Heh. There are all kinds of things you can spread with touching including resentment.

Given the way things are in the health profession these days most of the hugging was done by staff during coffee breaks.

Just like it is in our private relationships touching is an intimate expression and I've learned to take my cues from others. Sounds like your nurse was soothing her own anxiety more than yours.

I grew up in a home where people only hugged by prescription. When you leave the house give a hug and say, "I love you" just in case something happens and you never see that person ever again. I always thought that was a scary reason to give a child for hugging family.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 AM

483 posts, read 657,722 times
My parents were not huggy people, but my extended family is.

I'm definitely a hugger. Give them out, take them in, whatever. I hug people when we get together, when we leave...all the time. In general our whole social circle are very physical people, so its pretty normal.
We have one friend who I know doesn't like to be touched, so we don't hug him. Everyone else, definitely huggers.
Even the guys, although they do the "man hug" thing. Half hug with a pat on the pat on the back, or the weird hand-shake pull into a hug thing.

You can tell though IMO, what kind of hugs people are comfortable with; some of them like the one arm side hugs, some of them like full hugs, a couple of them do the bear hug-pick you up off the ground. We've figured each other out by now.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,862,520 times
I don't like to hug humans.

I find the experience awkward and unpleasant.

I like to hug cats.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,790,878 times
I don't like to hug people I don't know well, and even if I do know them I am not particularly huggy (like to say hello). However, children and people in distress (in other words, people who need comfort) will get a big soft hug for as long as they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships