Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,376,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? Do you get all your validation from strangers on the Internet, or do you happen to know any people in real life?
Anyone that lives in the lower peninsula of MI. . That being said, no, hadn't notice it being overly used

Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,425,925 times
a troll is anybody that you dont agree with their opinion. its a name that cannot be defended. when you are being called a troll it because you have defeated your opponent and he has nothing else to respond to but ' Well youre a troll"

Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,464,978 times
There's really a very easy way to avoid being called a troll, kids - don't post like one!

Trolls have pretty specific characteristics - if you're continually being accused of being one, perhaps a little self reflection may be in order. Or a comprehensive search for a new hobby.

Just sayin...

Oh - to respond to one other comment you made, I don't consider posters who have a differing opinion from mine a troll - not in the least. I may consider them idiots, I may consider them a person with another point of view, I may consider them right after I've given it some thought. A troll is a different entity - a different kind of beast altogether. They live for their douchebaggery - it's all in the presentation, kid. And for the record, I don't consider you one. But I can't speak for anyone else.

Last edited by Missy2U; 08-28-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,275,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? Do you get all your validation from strangers on the Internet, or do you happen to know any people in real life?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,523,640 times
Words meant to be "detrimental" to the "whom" the use is set upon have existed for a long time; probably ever since Mankind has been able to communicate adequately.

Some may be ethnic in origin {"That's so 'White' of you/him/her"}? ([meaning "nice of you"]}

Or orientation in order, as in: "that's so Gay" {or "so gay of him/her"}?

Or the old "what a moron he/she/they {is/are]?"

Or the "big fat fatty"....

So, what difference does it make if "troll" is the detrimental word used often here on THIS forum? I swear I have never used it here, but I know I have seen it used more than I'd like to see!

Well, I think "I will go troll the cat", as it seems that is the best I can do here!

I doubt I will go trolling tonight, just answering more clearly in my posts.

And if the spirit moves me, I will post herewithin.

if not, I will close out this window...like now...

Last edited by galaxyhi; 08-28-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
Here are names you call people with whom u do not agree on cdf
Troll
Bitter
Negative
Racist
Misogynist

Old 08-28-2015, 11:07 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,618,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, an internet troll is a specific, definable thing. People can tell if you're doing it.

Like any other word, it will be co-opted and lose its meaning eventually.
Well, there's a troll and then there's trolling. Two different things. Trolling is taken from a fishing term, you're basically throwing out something and seeing if anyone takes the bait. A troll is someone who trolls excessively or exclusively. But legit people can troll.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 PM

65 posts, read 42,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Do you notice this? I do! There's a few forums that I used to frequent where this would be bandied about, people would use it to ruin your reputation!

It seemed to always get the moderators attention even when people were lying. To me it is an awful accuation to force onto someone you don't know! People seem to use it alot these days when they don't like a person's opinion.

It seems pretty wrong to me!
Yes I'm noticing it too. There appear to have been instances where a post is particularly effective, and the one on the losing end of the debate calls, "Troll," in the hope a mod doesn't analyze it or prior comments for substance and will simply close the acct.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,807,468 times
The other forum I belong to troll has nothing to do with not agreeing with someone's opinion. It's to point out someone not making a real thread. They are trolling for the sake of creating drama.

However most of us know each other IRL so it is easier to know when someone is trying to be contrarian or it's a fake post just for the hell of it.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,564,064 times
Moderator cut: IN CLOSING

Hmmm, not exactly a fit for this forum which is Non romantic relationships..even though I do understand not wanting a Romantic Relationship with a troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships